Sponsored by:

TPC Supercharger owners HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 03:05 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is sad that TPC keeps investing their R&D on incremental gains rather than making their product more "bolt on & plug-n-play". Someone should buy them and put some development effort on creating a 6 hour bolt on installable product. That will make them $$$.

For those that think it can't be done, i'll turn you to the VW superchargers that bolt on in 6 hours and work out of the box.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:26 AM
puma1824
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boris Teksler
it is sad that TPC keeps investing their R&D on incremental gains rather than making their product more "bolt on & plug-n-play". Someone should buy them and put some development effort on creating a 6 hour bolt on installable product. That will make them $$$.

For those that think it can't be done, i'll turn you to the VW superchargers that bolt on in 6 hours and work out of the box.
That's a little unfair in regards to the amount of time to install. Think about how much time anything takes to be done on our rear engine cars. How long does it take to do a valve job on a VW compared to a 993/964? How about a simple clutch job?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:31 PM
tafkai

its easier to work on the inlet of a 911 than a golf .
believe me , i've been doing it all my adult life
Old 07-05-2006, 12:35 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

a clutch takes 4 hours. i do believe it is possible to install a kit with hand tools in 6 hours, but fine i'll even give them 8 hours.... i'm talking about what is necessary for mass market appeal.

i will point out that to do a supercharger is really just a matter of working with the intake and adding a pulley and a cpu. if it wasn't for the fabrication and the damn 7th injector (which is a cheap band aid) this would be possible. In other words what is needed is proper programming and prefab the parts for mounting. not rocket science.

cheers,
boris
Old 07-05-2006, 12:57 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe a bit OT... but is anyone concerned with putting boost to an 11:1 compression ratio engine? In my experience that is bad news... you usually set up a turbo or SC engine at around 8:1, right?
I was looking at TPC SCs but was put off by my fear of detonation.
Apparently people are running these OK. I suppose the boost psi is low enough?
I want the extra HP!
Old 07-05-2006, 01:08 PM
tafkai

low cr + high boost
or high cr + low boost .

most modern turbo applications are now high cr compared to what they used to be , modern management systems make it possible .
Old 07-05-2006, 01:09 PM
tafkai

oh , and the twin plugs are there to help run high cr in the factory na engine .
Old 07-05-2006, 02:55 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tafkai
oh , and the twin plugs are there to help run high cr in the factory na engine .
But with 91 octane fuel?
You blokes have excellent fuel choices compared to us out here in Cal., USA.
I fear I may be just "getting by" with the current engine design (twin lugs, 11:1 cr) and the crappy fuel we have over here.
Hmm... maybe I should move.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Dick Beers
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Has anyone here done the new TPC upgrade package with the Uni-Q engine mgmt computer, hi-flow fuel injector and TPC modified intercooler?

Had the TPC supercharger and intercooler added to my '97 C4S 993 a few months ago. We have been unable to solve the dreaded check engine light problem. Did everything TPC suggested including replacing all the secondary ignition and having them reprogram the black box twice. The problem just won't go away.

My mechanic talked to TPC today (Tom I believe) to see if since mine is a recent purchase that they wouldn't swap my black box for one of the new ones. He as told they still have the old systems on the shelf and that the new upgrade package is an option ... a $2100 option, a few hundred less if you recently (no time limit mentioned) purchased the older system.

I'd like to consider this upgrade (even tho it will probably be a $2500 upgrade when you include labor) but first I'm looking for any real world experience for those who have a similar installation.

By the way, the car is wicked quick but finally put some black tape over the CEL since we can't make it go away.

Will post this under a new thread as well.

Thanks for any input

Dick
Old 08-02-2006, 07:53 PM
901aero
Burning Brakes

Here here for Boris Teksler, three cheers. I agree buddy. But I think the biggest obstacle is not the install time -- so what if it stretched into a full weekend-- but rather the high CR of the NA 993 motor. To really do it up right you MUST do the necessary head work to lower the CR. And that my friend is beyond most DIY'ers. No all mind you but enough that I think it would be a hard sell as a kit.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:10 AM
tafkai

have you checked your # factory # compression ????

maybe its not as high as the handbook ................................
Old 08-03-2006, 11:30 AM
901aero
Burning Brakes

No I haven't check the CR on my car (95 993) but I'd bet it's still well over 9.8:1 -- which I think most would agree is still too high for any type of forced induction. Look at the CR for the TT : 8.0:1
Old 08-03-2006, 03:14 PM
tafkai

ok , ok , ok .....................
you win !!!!!!

( i just cant be bothered explaining , theres plenty of info out there to help you become a REAL internet expert )
Old 08-06-2006, 01:33 PM
901aero
Burning Brakes

Hey, I want to believe. I would love to find a real Supercharger kit for my 993. I know that there are many ways to "trick" the 993 into submission, (TPC - 7th injector, rerpogramming, etc.) but I'm not convinced that this is the way to go. IMO, HP gains are not that impressive for all the work invested. I liked what I read on Superchargers of Knoxville but they are no more. Please if you have info --enlighten us! There are many here that have expessed a serious interest in Supercharging our 993s. I have owned many 911's through the years and I do most all my own work. I think I can safely say I'm more than a "bench racer" if thats' what you were implying with your "REAL internet expert" comment. Let's keep it friendly.

Quick Reply: TPC Supercharger owners HELP!