Base Cayman or SLK?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In honor of Ray Calvo -

Go drive 'em both then go buy the one YOU like best!

Old 06-26-2006, 10:28 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've driven both, and to me there is no comparision with the cars. One is true sports car, MB has good style, but poor handling, and lacks the zip. Personally, I really like the Cayman S, probably even more than most 911's.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:37 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

given ONLY those choices, i would take cayman over slk, even the SLK55, regardless of price.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:08 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Folks,

Dilemma over. I test drove the SLKs (280 and 350 both, both 6 speed). Here's my take:

Power: adequate, nothing sensational. Although that's not a deal breaker as I knew that I can't use a lot of power in our traffic.
Gear box: horrible. Also the gear shift is 6" to far to the rear. I have very short arms, and still find it un-natural to shift into 2, 4, and 6 gears. Bad ergonomics (more on ergonomics later).
Clutch: soft, and vague in up-take. I could shift/accelerate very smoothly in the Cayman S, not so in either SLKs.
Brakes: soft and mushy. Stops OK, just not the 'hit the brick-wall' feel.
Road feel: minimal. almost like a Lexus.
Engine sound: the 350 was ok. The 280 was very muted.
Cornering/lane change: ok, but felt floaty.
Seating: As a low slung sports car, I found my legs dangling over the seat. While I have short legs (as well as short arms), I find the steering wheel way too close to my chest area. The pedals are set way into the footwell. I honestly don't think I can find a comfortable driving position in this car, especially with where they put the shifter, it's a chore.

With all these negatives, the folding hard-top and the price become moot. The reliability issue is yet another nail in the coffin. So, Cayman it is. Only debate now is base or S.

CP
Old 06-27-2006, 01:46 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default c'mon...you know it's true

I know I'm late to the roastin' but I wouldn't spend your money on a Benz. Pontiac G6? Looks good.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:47 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Porsche dealer is a very close friend. I pass by the dealership two to three times a week, just next to where I live. According to his (un-official) saying, we have to wait a while before purchasing a new model from any car manufacturer today.
I believe his advice is a result of the 996 launch, catastrophic. You cannot imagine how many 1999-2000 carreras came back to the dealer with broken engines, etc.
These days, I get to see quiet a lot of caymans in for repair. I thought it was for servicing, but I was told it is generally electrical, and gearbox issues (mercedes stamped).
Yes, later 996's and the cayman gearboxes have a Mercedes metalic plate rivetted to the gearbox.

'97 Carrera S 100% original
Old 06-27-2006, 01:52 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

geolab,

I also read Caymanclub Forum. They have several lengthy threads about tranny and clutch failures. noy just niggles, but bad failures. Quite common place and obviousely troubling. I am not buying until October 07. That may be the 08 model year by then.

CP
Old 06-27-2006, 02:05 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Folks,

Dilemma over. I test drove the SLKs (280 and 350 both, both 6 speed). Here's my take:

Power: adequate, nothing sensational. Although that's not a deal breaker as I knew that I can't use a lot of power in our traffic.
Gear box: horrible. Also the gear shift is 6" to far to the rear. I have very short arms, and still find it un-natural to shift into 2, 4, and 6 gears. Bad ergonomics (more on ergonomics later).
Clutch: soft, and vague in up-take. I could shift/accelerate very smoothly in the Cayman S, not so in either SLKs.
Brakes: soft and mushy. Stops OK, just not the 'hit the brick-wall' feel.
Road feel: minimal. almost like a Lexus.
Engine sound: the 350 was ok. The 280 was very muted.
Cornering/lane change: ok, but felt floaty.
Seating: As a low slung sports car, I found my legs dangling over the seat. While I have short legs (as well as short arms), I find the steering wheel way too close to my chest area. The pedals are set way into the footwell. I honestly don't think I can find a comfortable driving position in this car, especially with where they put the shifter, it's a chore.

With all these negatives, the folding hard-top and the price become moot. The reliability issue is yet another nail in the coffin. So, Cayman it is. Only debate now is base or S.

CP
Come on already Pong... at this rate Melissa will have one before you BTW I'd go with the "S"
Old 06-27-2006, 09:35 AM
robroy72
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

BMW MZ3 coupe would get my $$$ before either of those two choices.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:02 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the "S" for sure.

Quick Reply: Base Cayman or SLK?