HWFM Racing - I was bad ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HWFM Racing - I was bad ...

I was a bad boy last weekend. We had fun racing at Reno-Fernley with PRC and I ended up with getting two first-place finishes in GT-L class.

Ok, so the truth is that I got the 1st place in true HWFM fashion - none of the other guys in the class showed up. I still dominated my class.

The racing was quite "interesting" as the course we ran was 20 turns in about 2.5 miles. I viewed it as a fancy autocross as more than half the time was spent in 2nd gear with brief excursions into 3rd (or 4th on the front straight). Passing was next to impossible unless there was a big hp difference or the car in front made a bad mistake (too wide) and you could sneak underneath is one of the many turns. That coupled with disintegrating pavement (the paddock pavement was about 140 °F with air temps of about 100) made it less than ideal racing. We had fun anyway.

It wasn't as hot as the folk at Buttonwillow experienced, but we had fun anyway (and you have to love whoever created the cool suit - it would have been miserable without one).

I was sorry that my new video recording setup still had not arrived as the video of the races would have been fun. There were 3 of us that battled both days (with the leader firmly in control and ready to shut off any pass attempts) and stayed nose-to-tail for the whole race.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:26 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Using the excuse of "I was the only guy in class" as an excuse for WINNING YOUR CLASS shows a real lack of creativity which I believe needs to be watched closely, and may be the first indication of a trip down the wrong path for a HWFM member! Equally suspect is the "my video wasn't set up yet" story........

I think a probationary period should be invoked here.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Using the excuse of "I was the only guy in class" as an excuse for WINNING YOUR CLASS shows a real lack of creativity...
I completely agree! That's been tried before without any kind of succes, that kind of bull**** never flies Tom!

Where's mother superior? Someone needs spankin'!
Old 06-26-2006, 09:36 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 343 Likes on 152 Posts

I forgive you my son.......................................

No one else showing up in your class technically makes you the winner, "butt" that's not bad enough to warrant a good spankin' from me. Sorry to disappoint you if you were looking forward to a nice paddlin'.
PLUS, it's only been 7 weeks since my shoulder surgery and I'm afraid that my spanking has been put on hold for a while. Any attempt at discipline right now would be feeble at best. Maybe next time......
Old 06-26-2006, 09:50 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts

Oh great, what's next... A pro racing contract..

Will you please slow the hell down.. Some of us are trying to listen to the radio and drink latte's..

B
Old 06-26-2006, 10:16 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I suppose a DNF would have solved the problem?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:22 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A spin in the race would have sufficed....
Old 06-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

As the Chief Random Excuse Generator around HWFM Racing, my services are always available...at a very low cost, which generally involves cold beer and brats, but I digress. I have heard them all, with most of them coming from my lips, so never fear, Mr. Excuses is here!
Old 06-26-2006, 10:43 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 343 Likes on 152 Posts

Anyone heard from our Grand Poo Butt head Turtle Mike lately???
Old 06-26-2006, 10:59 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Technically speaking, winning because nobody else shows up is acceptable according to how I read the rules. I do detect some signs of recividism however. For example the reference to using 4th gear (shudder) on the front straight is a deviation from HWFMR doctrine. Since Mother Superior is disabled (for the nonce), I think that large quantities of alcohol should be faxed to HWFMR HQ.

Best,
Old 06-27-2006, 01:25 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(Don't tell Bob my car only has 5 gears and 4th is pretty close to 5th in a 993! I'll be thrown out for sure.)

Kim: I did that. It was even caught on video by Jack Olsen (T3 at TH last year in my 1st real race).

My current excuse for my on-track performance is that I'm 450 lbs heavier than the other guys in my class. I'm working at getting the rules changed to make them slower. (Does that redeem me?)
Old 06-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No!

Quick Reply: HWFM Racing - I was bad ...