Ok, not another mid rise lift question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SR71BLACKBIRD
From seaching the threads quite a few of you have purchased the Greg Smith Equipment Mid Rise Lift a while back.

Have any of you had any problems with it to date? That looks like the best buy so far and I am about to pull the trigger on that one if it's problem free.

Thanks

Scott
I have had my mid rise sissor lift in service for several years now, used it to drop motors to change clutches, major service, even worked on my Ferrari with it.

Have not had any issues with it, it is very safe couldn't believe I worked on cars for years without it. Now I wouldn't even think about dropping a motor without it.

The lift comes with a safety catch every so many inches it rises, basically you lift the car over the safety latch and then lowering it down to the latch so that it is not on the hydraulic pressure. I did have an issue one time with the lift locking up on me because I had a car sitting on the hydraulic pressure over nigth instead of on the safety latch. I had to use a floor jack to get part of the car off the lift in order for the hydraulic system to cycle again. Other than that it has been trouble free.

Like Jim had mentioned that you will need to cut off one of the last brace in order for the transmission to clear.

We just drop a motor on a turbo last weekend to do a clutch job, had no problem reaching up to disconnect the front drive shaft and the torque tube.

Two thumbs up from me to purchase a mid rise lift like this.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:45 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I so want one of these.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:09 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
I have had my mid rise sissor lift in service for several years now, used it to drop motors to change clutches, major service, even worked on my Ferrari with it.

Have not had any issues with it, it is very safe couldn't believe I worked on cars for years without it. Now I wouldn't even think about dropping a motor without it.

The lift comes with a safety catch every so many inches it rises, basically you lift the car over the safety latch and then lowering it down to the latch so that it is not on the hydraulic pressure. I did have an issue one time with the lift locking up on me because I had a car sitting on the hydraulic pressure over nigth instead of on the safety latch. I had to use a floor jack to get part of the car off the lift in order for the hydraulic system to cycle again. Other than that it has been trouble free.

Like Jim had mentioned that you will need to cut off one of the last brace in order for the transmission to clear.

We just drop a motor on a turbo last weekend to do a clutch job, had no problem reaching up to disconnect the front drive shaft and the torque tube.

Two thumbs up from me to purchase a mid rise lift like this.

I updated my post with some photos. The lift is very safe. For a 911 you need to make sure you have the car situated correctly so it's not tippy. I was worried when I dropped 1k lbs out of the back the car may rock a little but it didn't. Also all of the torquing did nothing to unbalance the car.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:11 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by murfysflaw
I so want one of these.
It was probably the best tool or car-related purchase I've ever made. I have the Bed-Pak from asedeals.com
Old 12-15-2008, 05:30 PM
tchubacha
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the bend-pak one also. Any issues with dropping the engine/tranny with this lift?
Old 12-16-2008, 12:58 AM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys, I guess either the Greg Smith Equipment or Bend Pac are good quality.

Greg Smith Equipment said they would do $1295+300 shipping to Seattle WA so total is 1595.00.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:29 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SR71BLACKBIRD
Thanks guys, I guess either the Greg Smith Equipment or Bend Pac are good quality.

Greg Smith Equipment said they would do $1295+300 shipping to Seattle WA so total is 1595.00.
I had one of the Greg Smith mid rise lifts and would rather have the Bend Pak, just looks to be better quality to me.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

See this thread for a group buy I am putting together. Let me know if there is more interest!

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...the-fence.html

Quick Reply: Ok, not another mid rise lift question