Optima Battery tie down

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 06:12 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Optima Battery tie down

Anyone here fabbed a tied down system for the optima battery? I have no spare tire in the race car and, as I found out Sunday, a bumpy track can dislodge the battery from it's normal resting place. Someone said they got an adapter from Performance Products, but i looked and don't see anything there for the 993. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Pics are always great. TIA
Old 06-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my solution , though for an Oddessy battery, would work for an Optima.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:26 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the optima redtop and the factory tiedown worked just fine (what is wrong with the factory tie down?)
Old 06-12-2006, 11:49 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Ditto what ceboyd said...
Old 06-13-2006, 12:41 AM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought some sheet metal at home depot and bent it around the batter (lying down). Wasn't too hard - I'll take some pics this weekend...
Old 06-13-2006, 11:20 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ceboyd
I have the optima redtop and the factory tiedown worked just fine (what is wrong with the factory tie down?)
The problem is that the factory clamp doesn't get a real bite on the bottom lip of the Optima due to the battery's design. If you have a spare tire, it's not that big of a deal but without, the battery is free to roam ones it works loose from the clamp. Mine bounced around until the ground cable came off. Then the battery was free to smash the ABS relay cover and pull the positive cable around with it. I never thought it would be a problem either but the track was bumpy (not rough but undulating due to settling of the soil under the track). The car bounced in several spots. Anyway, it was enough to cause the battery to work loose from the clamp and end my day early. If it had been an enduro, I could've "fixed it" and got back out in plenty of time.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:46 AM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently saw an Optima installed with the factory battery clamp in a 993. The back side lip of the battery was not captured under the lip in the wall of the trunk. This allowed the battery to simply lift up and come loose. Not good.

I installed a spacer behind it to match the thickness (away from the trunk) of the lip in the body. This is better, but not great.

I think that what is needed is a way to make the lip in the trunk body another 1/2 higher. Possibly an s shaped piece which could be installed in the existing lip to provide a higher lip for the battery.

The other alternative is to do what Don P has done and build something serious.

(ooops. Had the wrong battery. Changed it to the correct one.)

Last edited by ppressle; 06-13-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:07 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi John, I had thought it was PP but i now remeber it was AJ USA that had it....also JEGS has some very nice aluminum holders...they are pricey though...i think the AJ holder was 65ish...good to see you at Beaverun!!
Old 06-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have an Optima 75/35 battery in my 993; have used the stock bottom lip mounts with no trouble.

And what the heck are you doing running w/o a spare tire? It's added nose weight for better front/rear weight distribution and if you're in an "incident" it's added front crush resistance.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:47 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray Calvo
And what the heck are you doing running w/o a spare tire? It's added nose weight for better front/rear weight distribution and if you're in an "incident" it's added front crush resistance.
For NASA GTS Challenge events, I take it out to shed as much weight as possible. The 993 is one of the pigs in the class given the HP to weight ratio works out much closer to the slower end of the GTS3 range than the top end of the range.

Besides, it's alot of fun taking out the spare tire, door panels, ballast (84 lbs) and passenger seat after a PCA event and putting them back in again after a NASA event.

BTW, I have the yellow top which, as you can see is a little different than a regular battery
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2006, 03:33 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought the yellowtop is DEEPCYCLE for marine use?
Old 06-13-2006, 03:47 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is a deep cycle. When I forgot to switch off the cutoff when I stored the car, the transponder, clock etc would drain the regular battery between events. Then, we developed a much quicker draw in the ac wiring that would drain the battery overnight. That has been fixed by pulling some fuses but I went ahead and bought a deep cycle anyway. It was stated that alot of the big car stereo guys/gals use the yellow top.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Steve Nagata
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Marine Optima batteries are "blue" tops.

BTW that Yellow batter might not have enough CCA/CA for your 993. You'll need a bigger one (then you can use the factory battery tie down)
Old 06-13-2006, 10:36 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Nagata
Marine Optima batteries are "blue" tops.

BTW that Yellow batter might not have enough CCA/CA for your 993. You'll need a bigger one (then you can use the factory battery tie down)
Here's s pic for the record
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Optima Battery tie down