Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attending US Grand Prix for first time - any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 01:41 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Attending US Grand Prix for first time - any suggestions?

I was given an early birthday present in the form of a plane ticket to visit a friend in St Louis, and we're going to attend the US Grand Prix. I'm really excited, as I've never been to a pro race outside of the 24hr, and Sebring. Any suggestions on where to try and sit, what to try and see and do, etc.? My friend had good luck scalping a ticket to the Indy 500, so he's suggesting we go that route. We plan to be there for both Saturday and Sunday. I called the track and was told they normally have supercup on Saturday, with different support races on both days; she didn't have the official schedule yet for this year though.

Thanks!
David
Old 06-06-2006, 01:48 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

The only thing I can say is that I am jealous

Actually one tip comes to mind, dont be disappointed when you get back into your 911 and it wont rev to 19,300 RPM
Old 06-06-2006, 01:54 AM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed the Supercup races more than the F1 race when i went to the inaugural event in 2000. Perhaps that was due to being a guest of a Supercup team, though. You shouldn't have any problems getting tickets. Bring some ear plugs.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:03 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm jealous too, and have wanted to do this for a long time! I've always enjoyed watching Michael Schumacher on TV, so it will be great to see him in person before he retires. I still remember seeing Michael Jordan play in person before he retired (the first time).
Old 06-06-2006, 04:40 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

David,

DON'T miss the Supercup race! It is were the fun is (the races are always before the F1 race, in the morning). Enjoy.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:43 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

If you can, try to sit in Turn 1. This is where a lot of the overtaking takes place. I sat there in 2004 and it was quite nice.

There are some good vendors supported by the actual teams, so you can get some really nice things there (bring your $$$).
Old 06-06-2006, 08:23 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 351 Posts

If you go on more than just race day, you can sit anywhere in the stands during practice and qualifying, I enjoyed sitting directly across from the pits during qualifying. I also found that the infield put me closer to the cars than did the stands. Turns 3,4 & 5 are great viewing points as is the view from the spectator berms along the back stright...Just be prepared to stand during the entire race. They usually have a demo run of older grand prix cars and then put them on display over by the museum. Also, the museum itself is worth a visit. Enjoy yourself...This may be the last U.S Grand Prix for a while.

TMc
Old 06-06-2006, 08:24 AM
dhicks
Drifting

David
I have been every year since 2000 and you are in for a treat.....on the Saturday you can sit where you like....no seat allocation needed just a entry ticket....try various seats but for the best view covering more track than anywhere else you have to be in the banked seating at turn two....you will be able to see the whole os the start / finish straight, and the whole series of turns and part of the back straight. Sit here for the best views but also visit other parts of the track, esp over behind the museum where you can get to within 20 feet or so of the track and watch the F1 cars go past....great buzz.......If you can get a North West Vista race day ticket that would be great.....I may have a spare $150 ticket for the Northwest Vista Deck....GREAT view......things to take are suncream, its get pretty hot sometimes, towel for drying seats after the overnight dew, and to sit on during the day, light rain top....just it case it rains...only rained in 2000, since then it has been dry.....lots of $$$$$$$ for food and drinks and purchases....have fun
Old 06-06-2006, 09:52 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

make it a moral imperative to watch as much of the practice and qualifing as possible because you can wander all over to whatever stands to take a seat and watch the different angles (which you can't do on race day when you have your assigned seat)

....and that sound.. that beautiful sound in person is second to nothing else!
(it actually brought tears of joy to my eyes to hear that sound of an F1 engine in person)
Old 06-06-2006, 10:23 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 436 Posts

Ear Plugs!
Old 06-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds awesome. I'm jealous. I didn't realize there were other races before/after the Indy 500. I'm assuming that that is the premiere race of the weekend? It sounds like you will only need to buy tix beforehand for the Indy500 and all other venues the tickets can be bought on-site?

Where can I find out more info on the weekend's festivities?
Old 06-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest you hope more than 6 cars race! Ugh, what a debacle last year was.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:14 PM
thommod
1st Gear

Thumbs up USGP

I have attended the USGP for the last three years and will attend this year. The NW Vista is great to see turns 1-5 but I also like the Corner 10 terrace where you also see them at 'moderate' speeds. I would encourage you to make a long weekend of it, the schedule is on the website usgpindy.com, the Thursdays morning pitwalkabout gets you right up to the garages where the teams are building the cars, occassionally drivers will come out as well. Practice is on Friday, qualifying on Saturday and the race on Sunday. I attend sebring, the 24hrs and petite leman, but formula one is in a different league! Enjoy.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:54 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope and pray Michelin brings the right tires!!!

Bring earplugs, but you probably won't put them in until lap 10 (that sound is incredible!!!)

Go to the museum - well worth the time.

Bring lots of money for the vendors - inside and outside the track.

Most important - pay close attn to the pace/safety cars. They are the most awesome sounding MB's you will ever hear! It's unfathomable to be looking at the MB safety car (usually an AMG E55 wagon) with that exhaust note!!

Anybody thinking about having a Rennlist gathering @ this year's USGP? I think it would be cool to meet some of you in person!
Old 06-06-2006, 03:53 PM
JCarter287
Advanced

GORDO - Jen and I will be driving down in the C2S.... Let's try to organize Rennlist dinner if the interest is there...

Quick Reply: Attending US Grand Prix for first time - any suggestions?