Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attending US Grand Prix for first time - any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 04:10 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're driving up sunday morning and staying for the race, then driving home. How about a Rennlist pre-race lunch?
Old 06-06-2006, 04:33 PM
JCarter287
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the race starts at 1:00pm...... We may need to consider brunch....???

I can handle setting up a reservation..... How many folks are interested....???
Old 06-06-2006, 08:31 PM
josephla
Instructor

I am in as well, going to visit my little sis in cincinatti and we are driving up for the race. Cant wait 20000 rpm yeaaaaaaaaaah what a way to go deaf. Lets pray for a ferrari victory in a field of more than 6 cars.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:32 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd be up for a brunch at the track also. I'm pretty sure the supercup race is on sunday before the main race, though.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:37 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd be up for a brunch at the track also. I was told the supercup race is on sunday before the main race, though. Anyone know what the schedule of support races was last year?
Old 06-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Arrwin,
The Indy 500 is actually on Memorial Day Weekend, which was about a week ago. Sam Hornish Jr. won. I have actually been 26 years in a row. Fun race. They are a part of the Indy racing league which is its own specific kind of car.

The USGP is a Formula 1 race, and is a different league altogether. They are mostly european manufacturers and it is a very different style of racing. They race, rain or shine. The Indy 500 is only dry weather racing. Indy 500 is an oval. USGP has seventeen turns last time I checked.

ANyway, they are both great races. You ought to go experience the USGP if you have never been. Take the advice of where to sit from this board and go watch history being made.

Robert
Old 06-07-2006, 01:47 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Arrwin,
The Indy 500 is actually on Memorial Day Weekend, which was about a week ago. Sam Hornish Jr. won. I have actually been 26 years in a row. Fun race. They are a part of the Indy racing league which is its own specific kind of car.

The USGP is a Formula 1 race, and is a different league altogether. They are mostly european manufacturers and it is a very different style of racing. They race, rain or shine. The Indy 500 is only dry weather racing. Indy 500 is an oval. USGP has seventeen turns last time I checked.

ANyway, they are both great races. You ought to go experience the USGP if you have never been. Take the advice of where to sit from this board and go watch history being made.

Robert
Thanks Robert. Yes...I'm a dope. I actually watched the last few laps of the Indy 500. I don't know what I was thinking. Out of all the leagues, I have much more of an appreciation for F1, seems to need the most skill, much more technical than a simple oval (although i'm not taking anything away from any Pro driver). I do enjoy all types of racing with the exception of Nascar. Watching the onboard camera of Schumi, Alonso, anyone in fact, shows you how much skill these drivers encompass. The technology of those cars are second to none. I'm already planning a trip to either Montreal or to the USGP next year. The price difference for the tickets between Montreal is huge!

Now, i'm assuming the Supercup race are for Porsche Cup cars only?
Old 06-07-2006, 02:02 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Now, i'm assuming the Supercup race are for Porsche Cup cars only?
Porsche Supercup cars. They are all exactly the same cars from the factory sealed and nothing can be changed on them except suspension settings and maybe very little else. Same tires, same weight, engine, etc.. You have to be very good to get one of those limited cars from the factory for the competition. You will see some of the best drivers in the world in that series like Uwe Alzen, David Saelens, Westbrook et Al..and the race is supercompetitive (hence Supercup ). Cannot be missed if you are a Porsche fan.
One of our own Rennlisters is race engineer with a couple of those lucky teams, Konrad and Kadach (leading the world championship currently) he is the datalogging guru.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:58 AM
dhicks
Drifting

I will be in Indy from Friday........anybody fancy meeting up sometime Saturday lunchtime..........This year I have decided not to put the miles on the p-car...1600 in one weekend along nothing but interstate seems a waste of miles....so I am renting something!!!

The Supercup races are not to be missed, usually some great close racing and much spinning and wing mirror damage!!! The interesting thing is that if you hear these cars before you hear anything else they sound loud, but after the F1 cars they sound so quiet and tame!!!

As to Ferrari winning...........please NO.....kimi deserves a win.....the guy is so talented and is currently in a duff car....and no I do not want him to leave McLaren, but want McLaren to improve and give him a car he can put on the podium!!! (you too Flying Finn)
Old 06-07-2006, 02:41 PM
CentralCoastC4S
Instructor

When the cars were turning 16.5K rpms, the noise in the grandstands was
incredible, painful after a bit so ear plugs for sure. Now that they are up to 19K rpm, I can only imagine what the sound will be like. Be prepared.
You'll never forget that noise. Also, Ferrari red in person is nothing like on TV, much more vivid. Have fun you guys.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:50 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

I'd like to see a decent (read top ten) finish by our guy Scott Speed. I think he's a very talented driver in a handicapped car.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:23 PM
ignomini
Advanced

Only one person has mentioned the pit walk on Thursday. As far as I know its the best chance in all of F1 to see inside the garages. You also have a chance to see body work, fuel rigs, etc. up close. If you love mechanical things, don't miss it! I watched them start and run one of the Renaults in '04. Its quite an operation.

Also, people may claim to be able to go without ear plugs. They have probably already suffered hearing damage and are just making it worse. The cars are incredibly loud, and up in the grandstands the effect is magnified.

Don't forget to knock back a couple of Fosters!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Itgb
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I went last year to the US Grand Prix and I had a blast besides the fact that it was barely a race.

The biggest thing I would recommend would be to bring radio's(not the AM/FM kind) to tune into the brodcast of the race. There is no play-by-play while the race is going on, so you will have no idea what is happening on other parts of the track you can't see. At least I was informed when they decided 75% of the cars were not going to race last year. Everyone around me was clueless.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:17 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

I second the idea that you should try to make it to as much of practice and qualifying as possible. In fact, those are the only things that I'm going to. Some of the guys from my Atlantic team and I are going to be heading down on friday night to hang out at the bars in broad ripple and downtown, then to practice and qualifying on saturday. If you guys are interested in getting together shoot me a PM and we can figure out which bars we want to hit. I can tell you right now if you have time definitely hit up land sharks in broad ripple. If you are a race fan its the only place to go as that is where all the local pro drivers hang out.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Itgb
The biggest thing I would recommend would be to bring radio's(not the AM/FM kind) to tune into the brodcast of the race.
Great advice! What type of radio would you suggest to bring?

Quick Reply: Attending US Grand Prix for first time - any suggestions?