Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 vs 964...your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 11:46 AM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one looked into the 993TT vs. the 964 Turbo 3.6 and for my needs and enjoyment the 94 won hands down
if you feel like sharing, i'd be interested in hearing why you went with 965 over the 993TT.

965s are a real man's car
you have got to be kidding me. i haven't heard anything that juvenile since highschool...how old are you?
Old 06-08-2006, 12:14 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"you have got to be kidding me. i haven't heard anything that juvenile since highschool...how old are you?"
this is going a little 2 far.
my reply that you quoted above was a reaction to another post referring to 993 as the "baddest" which i think is wrong. as i said before 993s have this silky smooth look that makes them more chic than anything else (iam referring only to looks). on the other hand all pre 993 cars and especially widebodies have more of a musculer look. then the comment of a man's car came to my mind. i didnt mean it in any personal way.
as far the 94 turbos VS 993 tt, they are both fantastic cars, but the rarity of the 94 T just makes it on a league of its own, especially the super rare flashbeau model (not my favorite though)
anyway, i think these kind of threads are just wrong, we all buy our cars for different reasons, some for certain looks and others for performance......
try comparing a 993 vs 944T in the 944 T forum, and everyone there will tell you that 993s are just 2 slow
by the way , iam in my late 20s
peace

Last edited by H964; 06-08-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I thought this was an opinion thread and not a pissing match.
Was there ever any doubt it would end up turning that direction?

Marc
Old 06-08-2006, 01:25 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike_99l
"If you want the baddest ride on your block, you will like the 993 better"
what are you talking about dude. if anything 993s are very feminine
964s and especially 965s are a real man's car
show me any 993 that will look better next to this 964
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-...QQcmdZViewItem

The wide bodied 964's are one of my favorites, especially the American Roadster. Too bad Porsche did not continue with the wide bodied cabs in the 993 series.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:45 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Was there ever any doubt it would end up turning that direction?

Marc
Agreed, and it took longer to get to this point than I thought it would Marc. All it takes is a few extreme comments and heeere we go...

"Can't we all just get along!?" R. King
Old 06-08-2006, 02:51 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,364 Posts

[QUOTE=mborkow]if you feel like sharing, i'd be interested in hearing why you went with 965 over the 993TT.[QUOTE]

You are asking me to sum up 25 years of Porsche ownership in one comment.

So in the interest in keeping it short. When you grow up with a classic look it is what stays with you. Just like the music you grew up with its what you know and like best. I love all Porsches and as you can see I am collecting some of each model because they each have something special to offer and have unique capabilities. All Porsche, but all different.

I have always and will always love the classic lines of the earlier 911. I also love the 993's and the new 997's are just now beginning to grow on me. But for pure fun and as a car that I use only occasionally I want a car that will give me all the thrills, excitement and extreme raw exhilaration imbodied in the classic lines that I grew up loving.

The 993TT is a tremendous car with great capabilities and easily modified to produce awesome power. But that is not what I want from my car. I want to be able to drive the car at all speeds while retaining the old with a touch of the new. The 993TT is smooth linear and easy to drive. The 964 T 3.6 is raw intoxicating and a handful. It brings a smile to my face every time I get behind the wheel and challenges me to be a better driver. The single turbo and rear wheel drive are just so much fun and when the power comes on it is an adrenalin rush at any speed yet can hold its own with most newer cars. I know I have to have my wits about me at all times when driving it and it will bite hard if I screw up. Unlike the newer cars which are so forgiving. So for me it is the essence of what a sports car should be, rough, crude, powerful, unforgiving and stylish. It will punish you when your bad and reward you when your good.

The newer cars can be a lot of fun but not even the 993TT can do all of this for you unless you have a car like Jeans and now we are talking a totally different animal and one that cannot be enjoyed on my local roads without seriously breaking the sound barrier.

I guess if I had to have one Porsche that suits all my needs the 993TT would be a better choice. However, I am fortunate enough to own several. So where the 993TT smooths out the roughness of the 964T I have the 928 GTS (which is a very capable and fast car) it has the refinement of the 993TT with the comfort and forgiving demeanor, yet is fast and powerful. If I want a quick light nimble car that I can thrash about the 944S2 serves that purpose and is so easy to drive. This way I can focus on what is best about each model and not have any compromises. IMO the 993TT is more of a combination of these cars. Very capable yet at the same time a compromise taking away the true essence of what each of these earlier cars were all about. Not that that is a bad thing but not what I wanted. Although there are days when a 993TT would be nice to add to the collection it is too much 911 and I already have that family covered.

One other thing I must mention is that in my house we have a rule that the car must accommodate all 3 of us to qualify so although I wouldn't mind a GT2 or GT3 it isn't in the cards and that is also why the 914 had to go, otherwise I would have kept that one.

Besides I got lucky when I found my car. I love the color is one of 2 (the other has light grey interior) and it is in A1 perfect condition with all records. I also like the 964 Turbo 3.6 because I feel it is the last of a time now long since forgotten, bringing the old and new schools together. Single turbo technology with more modern suspension, the first of the big brakes and 18" modular wheels. Whats not to love about that.

I hope I said it right but thats the best I could do with the short version.
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2006, 02:51 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I think both of these cars are absolutely BADASS! to all of us crazy Porsche people.
Attached Images   
Old 06-08-2006, 03:39 PM
mborkow
Drifting

cobalt,
thanks for the explanation; it was interesting reading, and your car is gorgeous!
Old 06-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Well stated Cobalt. It was my feeling too as I went from a 993 to my current 930. It depends on how you use your car. The later 911s and 930s started becoming cars you could truly use daily , the 964 moreso. (I know there will be replies from those who use earlier cars daily too but you can't realistically do that in many places like the Dallas area where I live.) The 993 is the most modern of the Porsches that bridge from the old days to the new, embodying much of the aircooled charm and coolness with modern amenities that also make them practical daily transportation. If I drove my Porsche every day, I think I would still have my 993. The 930 is just more "different" and old school. It suits the role in my family a little better -- a more classic, collectible-like Porsche, sort of like a 356 but with more power and working A/C...old but just modern enough, more the toy than an additional car.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:19 PM
ebfox
Intermediate

Does anybody know the difference between a porcupine and a black 964 cab in Miami?
Old 06-08-2006, 06:25 PM
ebfox
Intermediate

Porcupine has ****** on outside.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:07 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, on that note I think we may have reached a new low.
Nice work ebfox.

At least you aren't a Rennlist member. Makes me a little proud and a lot less ashamed.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:33 PM
ebfox
Intermediate

Mark,

My comment was not directed at you or 964 owners in general. Just Junior in Miami.

You guys are making me proud that I sold my 964 though.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK I read this whole thread, including the juvenile pissing matches, and here is my list of the most sensible (and I think, correct) things said, in the order a potential buyer might want to consider them.

1. 964s are undervalued in the market right now, and as far as bang for the buck, are hard to beat. You can easily get one under $20,000.
2. 993 prices are falling, a phenomenon that seems to have been accellerated by the 997, which suddenly made a new Porsche attractive to the Old Guard.
3. While a bit of an evolution from the first 911s, the 993 is the last that retains most of the classic shape and air cooling, together with valuable things like a far superior suspension and 6 speed.
4. People on this board have been buying (or at least, finding for sale) apparently solid 993s for as little as $25,500, a price I consider an incredible bargain.

I bought a 993 because I consider it to be the newest, most practical, old-fashioned sports car in the world. Behind the wheel, the dash looks almost identical to my 1971 911 T. However, it has highly reliable fuel injection, air conditioning that (sort of) works and a tail that doesn't try to to pass the nose in hairy hairpins. A jury of normal humans would vote the 993 the better-looking shape.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Good luck with your choice.

Jack of Hearts
Old 06-08-2006, 11:48 PM
mborkow
Drifting

2. 993 prices are falling, a phenomenon that seems to have been accellerated by the 997, which suddenly made a new Porsche attractive to the Old Guard.
i think the cayman has something to do with it as well (i think we are loosing just as many 993 board members to the cayman as to the 997).

Quick Reply: 993 vs 964...your thoughts