993 vs 964...your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 02:08 AM
hddude
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts

1. 964s are undervalued in the market right now
I've seen at least two people make similar comments just in this thread. I heard similar comments when I bought my 964 10 years ago and again when I sold it three years ago. I guess the rest of world is slow to buy into this undervalued 964 concept.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:37 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,364 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts
3. While a bit of an evolution from the first 911s, the 993 is the last that retains most of the classic shape and air cooling, together with valuable things like a far superior suspension and 6 speed.
I don't see your point here. The rear suspension of the 993 will soften and smooth out some rough surfaces but "far superior" is debatable. A well set up 964 and 993 will do the same thing with a competent driver behind the wheel. The 993 will just be a little more comfortable in the process. Six speeds have their advantages like being able to keep the revs up and fuel economy but this has its disadvantages also.

Like I said weighing the pros and cons.

However, it has highly reliable fuel injection, air conditioning that (sort of) works and a tail that doesn't try to to pass the nose in hairy hairpins.
Again debatable. The 964 don't have the carbon build up problems the 993's do and the systems are not much different. Yes the A/c is better but not drastically. If you think the back end of a 993 is less likely to bite you than a 964 your mistaken. My comment was about a turbo running 430 hp and 450 ft lbs of torque. The torque will jump from 220 lb ft to 450 in a matter of a few hundred rpms. Screw up in any rear wheel drive 911 and you will see its shortcomings quickly. This can be easily controlled on either car. Personal choices like tires and suspension set ups will also influence this drastically. Both are much less likely to have this happen over an earlier 911 but can easily happen if you are not conscious of what you are doing.

A jury of normal humans would vote the 993 the better-looking shape.
Again highly subjective. IMO they are both good looking cars. This argument is one you need to have with yourself.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:52 AM
hawk993
Racer

you guys are a bunch of frickin idiots...

my Dad can beat up your Dad...lol......

Someone should kill this thread
Old 06-09-2006, 11:42 AM
hddude
Racer

Originally Posted by sidned
First hand and through lots of reasearch before I bought one. When I took the undertray off, there was so much oil it was unreal! I can see why it's referred to as a drip-tray!

To be fair, the previous owner had tried to bodge a fix with the notorious oil pipe and it had caused oil to slowly drip over time. I paid (over £1000) to have these lines replaced and never had a problem since.

As I said, I loved my 964 when I had it and would defend it furiously. It's a great car and I still miss the classic two front wings shape as you look out of the windscreen.
One of the first things the guys at the local independent Porsche shop mentioned when I ditched the 964 in favor of my 993 three years ago was how many fewer problems I would experience with oil leaks. They were right. I haven't had one although my garage floor still has several stains as a memorial to my drippy 964. I'm sure the guys at the shop miss the nice income they derived from fixing leaking oil lines.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:47 AM
hddude
Racer

Originally Posted by hawk993
you guys are a bunch of frickin idiots...

my Dad can beat up your Dad...lol......

Someone should kill this thread
True. No intelligent person would waste time even reading this thread much less adding posts to it. I guess that means "you guys" includes you and me.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:42 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Yes the A/c is better but not drastically.
If one system is cooler than the other it is only because of age and improper upkeep, the systems are exactly the same and use the same parts (compressor, evaporator, etc.) except for the hoses.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:42 AM
rideshootanddrink
Intermediate

I just bought 964 for $12.5 week and a half ago, and it's in excellent shape minus faded roof and cracked dash...I'm very happy! HA HA!
Old 06-12-2006, 03:23 AM
SeaJeff
Instructor

Originally Posted by turbo138
My wife gave birth to a baby boy in January this year, so I sold my 930 as I need to move to a family saloon car. I told myself we had enough fun with the Porsche which I owned for 6 years. I booked a BMW 5 series, got home, removed all the Porsche pic from my PC screensaver & replaced with BMW pic, sent farewell email to all my Porsche friends.
One of them replied saying that I made a very stupid move, many Porsche owners did the same & they all came back with another Porsche.
I told my wife that we should consider a 964 which is very aforadable & buy another family car.
So we went to see a Midnight blue 964, was very happy with it's condition.
We was told of a 993 for sale, maybe we should take a look before deciding.

Moral of the story here,
Once you own a Porsche, you cant live without one.
Never compare 964 & 993, you will end up buying 993 like me !!!

you are killing me man!!!!! I just did about the exact same thing- and my farewell rennlist posting went out yesterday. But my porsche pictures are still on my wall and rennlist is still in my favorites. (Heck, I'm replying to this even!)

I read this and feel like deja vu all over.

But wait... all this talk about a 964 which is so obviously a ~cheaper~ way to get another porsche back in my garage... yes, that's an option... hmm.... the wife's car could park outside... ya... that might work.... no im not addicted... really... no...

<slaps himself back to reality>

-jeff
Old 06-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks mborkow for the invite to chime in from the 964 board. I've always considered a switch from 964 to 993 purely cosmetic. The '96 I drove felt the same as my stock 964 as far as power and unless you're going to the track I doubt the upgraded 993 rear suspension is going to be noticed. That said, the 993 is gorgeous and when I see an S I just stare and stare. It's too bad they didn't make a 2WD widebody 964.
The sloped headlights don't bother me but the 993 bumperettes are even uglier than the 964 ones and are much more expensive to eliminate. But if we're talking about a 993 with a turbo bumper, bumperette delete, and clear corners then I'll take the 993.
I prefer the sound of the 964 although I've heard some modified sweet-sounding 993s on this site and I love the look of dual exhaust. The 993 is definitely more civilized which will appeal to some, not to others (me included).
The 89, 90, and 91 models are a great bargain in the used 911 market and cars can be had for $20K and less. Most of these should have had their oil leaks (if they even had them) fixed by now. The 92, 93, and 94 models seem to be appreciating due to lower numbers and are approaching the early 993s in value. As far as problems, the 993 SAI and valve guide problems probably equal the 964 head gasket and DMF failures. I do like the idea of not having to do valve adjustments although I didn't know about the 993 items having to be replaced so early.
I'd tell someone shopping to get the car they think looks the best because the mechanical upgrades are minimal. And comparing an RSA to a 993...apples and oranges.

c

Oh yeah...sure, the 964 era was the worst in Porsche's financial history and the 993 sold well but I doubt it saved the brand. That distinction goes to the Boxster.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:43 PM
hawk993
Racer

993 beats the 964 hands down, 964 sucks!
Old 06-12-2006, 06:26 PM
mborkow
Drifting

the 993 sold well but I doubt it saved the brand
the turn around began with the 993. if you don't believe me, read this: http://borkow.net/porsche_recovery.pdf
Old 06-12-2006, 08:48 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

wow! the strong emotions continue in this thread.....
Old 06-12-2006, 09:09 PM
hawk993
Racer

My 993 can beat your 964...nah nah nah nah...!

BTW, I'm just kidding, just like earlier when I said the 964 sucks, it was tongue and cheek...if you look back earlier in this thread I tried to reason with you folks. These types of threads are just fueling the fire. Everytime someone post a "which car is better" thread, it starts the same old crap, just like the 993 folks going to the 996 forum and posting "which car is better a 993 or a 996" or vice versa...these threads are largely Bull **** and inflammatory and seldom contain any useful information on the actual cars. I believe most people posting these threads are just trying to stir stuff up, and they do it quite well. Rennlist is full of this type of stuff, which car is better...the M3 or the 993, the 996 or the 993, the Cayman is fastest car in the world!!!!!!...blah blah blah...
NOW...LET'S GET READY TO RUUUMMMMMBBBBLLLLLEEEEEE......
Old 06-14-2006, 05:12 AM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Can someone point me to the article or data that claims early in the thread that a stock 993 with a/c etc was quicker round the nurburgring than a 1992 964 RS. I would like to see the article. It was'nt a Porsche 993 press release buy any chance?
Old 06-14-2006, 09:06 AM
Freddy
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

964 are great cars!! A lot of car for too little money!! It is nice to have a mixture between the old shape and new technologies and so on… I also love the older cars back to the 356.

But we cannot deny that the 993 is a better car. The 964 looks like an unfinished project when compared to the 993. It looks like someone was in a hurry to finish the car and released as it was. The 993 is flawless and better than all air-cooled cars produced before.

The real problem is when we compare it with the 996 – I think this is the ugliest 911 ever done by the factory… not to mention the problems with the engine… The 997 looks better but it is not a sports car as the old style cars used to be. They became big cars!

That is my opinion!

Freddy

Quick Reply: 993 vs 964...your thoughts