993 Forum 1995-1998

Why hide your radar detector?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 12:11 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Why hide your radar detector?

When I bought my Valentine One, I noticed that you could get a "concealed display". On their site it said "Tired of other drivers crowding up behind so they can live off your detector warnings? Or maybe you just prefer to keep a low profile." Huh??? I don't get it.

I'm guessing that the real reason is for places where radar detectors may be illegal. Is there any other reason? Do people really get when when another driver sees your radar detector going off? For those of you that have the concealed display, why do you have them?
Old 05-25-2006, 12:16 AM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the remote so I can easily reach the mute button. Not too worried about other drivers using my detection...
Old 05-25-2006, 12:18 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What Bruce said and the location of the remote display is also easier to see (mine is mounted in the ashtray).
Old 05-25-2006, 12:27 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbfisher
What Bruce said and the location of the remote display is also easier to see (mine is mounted in the ashtray).
Where do you put your detector? After reading the instructions, they say to mount it high and so that it has a clear view front and rear. Mine's just above the rear view mirror on the pass side. It's out of the way, but still in my peripheral view.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:35 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Where do you put your detector? After reading the instructions, they say to mount it high and so that it has a clear view front and rear. Mine's just above the rear view mirror on the pass side. It's out of the way, but still in my peripheral view.
That's where mine is too. A quick glance straight down is a bit easier than a glance up and to the side. Splitting hairs maybe - to each his own.

I'm less concerned about others following at night than a CHP following and seeing the flashing arrows - just another reason to **** them off, even though they are legal.

Those following figure it out pretty quickly when I suddenly brake for "no reason" Perhaps I should get a bumper sticker that says "I brake for "Ka band"
Old 05-25-2006, 12:38 AM
schred
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always just figured that if you get pulled over for speeding and the officer sees a radar detector that there is no way you are getting off with a warning. There is a preety good book ( although old ) called the Speeders Handbook , Life in the fast Lane. It is written by an ex Hwy patrolman. It does give some interesting insight into the daily life of a traffic cop, his attitudes toward the public and toward speeders. Also some good tips on excuses as to why you were speeding in the first place.
FS
Old 05-25-2006, 12:49 AM
Bill Lucas
Burning Brakes

Because they are illegal in the state I live in? Virginia
Old 05-25-2006, 12:52 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three reasons, the first is to prevent theft, the second, it looks so much better hidden
and the third is many states and in all of Canada it's illegal to have one in your vehicle.
For the past twenty years there are many police departments that actually have receivers
that catch the radar detectors local oscillator frequency.
The later detectors have the ability of not being identified by this system.
For many years this brought in a lot of revenue to the departments. Chris
Old 05-25-2006, 02:09 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c993k
Three reasons, the first is to prevent theft, the second, it looks so much better hidden
Where do you hide it? Doesn't it have to kind of be in plain sight to be able to pick up the signals? The V1 intructions says it has to have an unobstructed view out the front and the back.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:59 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In NSW Australia, the cops have the detector detectors, I was told they can inpound the car and issue a $2000 fine just for having the detector.

Mine has sat in the wardrobe for the last 16 years or so, I just can't bring myself to throw it out, I assume the technology is long been outdated.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:45 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

On my last ticket, the officer saw my radar detector in the dash as he was writing the ticket and in the "notes" section he wrote: "Radar Detector" in big bold letters and double underlined it as if it was a trophy for him or just a reminder for him in case I went to court to contest the ticket.

He got me by following me and matching my speed with his speedometer. He didn't have a radar gun on, but I saw one mounted in his dash.

I guess he saw me, noticed the radar detector lights (it was at night), and decided to chase me. It's like a hunting game for them.

I was going 75 on a 60mph zone. Just like all the other cars that were ahead, behind and next to me. But I was the one driving the Porsche with the radar detector on. He had a big grin on his face too!

Moral of the story...Conceal if you can.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:22 AM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the Valentine set-up, only the display is remote - correct ? The detector is still mounted visibly, so it does not help with theft, etc. It's not like going with a full hidden system like a K40, etc

I got a warning last Saturday with the V1 in very plain view (daily driver convertible) - so at least this local cop did not choose to use it as an excuse to give me a ticket. (54 in a 40 zone)
Old 05-25-2006, 11:37 AM
mborkow
Drifting

i would expect the cop's animous was fueld more by the car you were driving than the radar detector (which is pretty hard to see from behind if it is mounted above the rear view mirror).
Old 05-25-2006, 12:25 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cabrio993
On my last ticket, the officer saw my radar detector in the dash as he was writing the ticket and in the "notes" section he wrote: "Radar Detector" in big bold letters and double underlined it as if it was a trophy for him or just a reminder for him in case I went to court to contest the ticket.
(snip)
Moral of the story...Conceal if you can.
So it sounds like cops don't like them. A long time ago, I was in traffic school being taught by an off duty CHP officer and he actually said they liked when people had radar detectors, claiming "anything to make you guys slow down". I never quite understood his logic, but I'm guessing that most of his fellow officers don't share his opinion.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:31 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

High and to the right of the rear view is not consealed, but it is easy not to notice it there - particularly if there are no red arrows and lights flashing.

Quick Reply: Why hide your radar detector?