Sponsored by:

Porsche vs Punks

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 04:47 PM
lowblow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche vs Punks

I need your opinion on something and forgive me if it's been discussed at nauseum......Why is it that everytime I take my car out, every punk on the road wants to try to entice me to race?, or at least drive through traffic at moronic speeds?

Today, I decided to take my car to work since I haven't been able to drive it for about three weeks, (I am a commercial contractor and typically need my pick-up everyday). Anyway, I'm driving along at a nice leasurely pace with the windows down, sunroof open just enjoying the drive.

All of a sudden, some knucklehead in a new 2.0T Passat whips in behind me and starts tailgating the crap out of me trying to get me to race through traffic.

Now this seems to happen to me literally everytime I take my car out. Is it that everyone on the road thinks Porsches are rocketships and wants to see them "Go"?, are they just curious to see if their lame *** everyday pseudo sports cars can give me a run?.

I think maybe why it bothers me is that I know my C4S isn't as fast as most of these idiots think it is from a standing or rolling start. I want so badly for a Passat, (or whatever car), to start this crap on a nice open road at say +/- 70 mph so they can really see a 993 stretch its legs into 6th gear at about a buck ten!, (at which point I know for a fact that I would leave them in the dust).

I don't know, maybe I need a Turbo, or maybe I just need to learn to not let the "wanna bee's" get under my skin!

Sorry for the rant but I hate the fact that this constantly happens and it always turns my nice, relaxing, stress relieving cruise into an aggrevating experience.

Any of you feel the same way?
mike
Old 05-18-2006, 04:55 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by lowblow
I need your opinion on something and forgive me if it's been discussed at nauseum......Why is it that everytime I take my car out, every punk on the road wants to try to entice me to race?, or at least drive through traffic at moronic speeds?

Today, I decided to take my car to work since I haven't been able to drive it for about three weeks, (I am a commercial contractor and typically need my pick-up everyday). Anyway, I'm driving along at a nice leasurely pace with the windows down, sunroof open just enjoying the drive.

All of a sudden, some knucklehead in a new 2.0T Passat whips in behind me and starts tailgating the crap out of me trying to get me to race through traffic.

Now this seems to happen to me literally everytime I take my car out. Is it that everyone on the road thinks Porsches are rocketships and wants to see them "Go"?, are they just curious to see if their lame *** everyday pseudo sports cars can give me a run?.

I think maybe why it bothers me is that I know my C4S isn't as fast as most of these idiots think it is from a standing or rolling start. I want so badly for a Passat, (or whatever car), to start this crap on a nice open road at say +/- 70 mph so they can really see a 993 stretch its legs into 6th gear at about a buck ten!, (at which point I know for a fact that I would leave them in the dust).

I don't know, maybe I need a Turbo, or maybe I just need to learn to not let the "wanna bee's" get under my skin!

Sorry for the rant but I hate the fact that this constantly happens and it always turns my nice, relaxing, stress relieving cruise into an aggrevating experience.

Any of you feel the same way?
mike

Keep a box of Rice-A-Roni in you front seat and wave to them ..just kidding..happen to me yesterday with a Jeep wrangler..maybe they just wanted to look at the car..who knows..pay them no mind..enjoy the ride
Old 05-18-2006, 04:56 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't run across to many that want to race my old little Porsche. But I do on the new one. What's up with that? I just ignore them.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:57 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Yeah Mike, I know what you mean & it's frustrating. You just have to let these dopes drive on by and resist the need to 'teach them a lesson' because that's exactly what they want you to do.

Now go peek at your 993 in garage and furgetaboutdit
Old 05-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike -

Definately know the feeling. Count to 10, breathe slowly and deeply.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Mike,

Try slapping some gaudy stickers on and maybe attach a wing. I don't drive my car on the road too much, but I can't recall a time in the past three or so years that anyone has tried to race me. They must think I have a turbo, which is a question I get asked quite often.

Big wing=big speed
Old 05-18-2006, 05:03 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 438 Posts

Do this... Gun your engine like you are going to race,do nothing, let them win. They'll brag that they beat a Porsche, but their downside is that they just took 20,000 mile off of their clutch. Who won now?
Old 05-18-2006, 05:05 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Just smile a big grin and wave politely at them. That will let them know you see them and choose not to race them rather than whip their butts.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:09 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Point and laugh heartily, repeat until they go away.......actually, doesn't happen much to me.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:58 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i just wave and let them go... I usually move over to the right to let them pass... I have nothing to prove... now if they want to go to the track, I'm not so easy to give up and let people pass me unless they are better driver's than me ...but in the street, I have no need to prove anything..
Old 05-18-2006, 06:09 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Keep a box of Rice-A-Roni in you front seat and wave to them ..just kidding..happen to me yesterday with a Jeep wrangler..maybe they just wanted to look at the car..who knows..pay them no mind..enjoy the ride

Tony - Great idea ! And put a VTEC sticker on the box too...
Old 05-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Ty Smith
Instructor

Happens to me everytime I go out in it. Their driving is a risk to me and my P-car...
Old 05-18-2006, 06:28 PM
texas911
Race Car

On a second reading of your post, maybe people are tailgating you all the time because you're hogging up the passing lane? My not be the car.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:40 PM
rdurff
Advanced

Here's my strategy:

I spend 10 seconds remembering how beautiful my 993 is and how long I waited to buy it. Another 10 remembering how much easier it would have been to buy something new with as much or more HP (generally just like whatever it is that's tempting me to race). And a final 10 remembering the last PCA driving event, how much fun it was, and how much my fellow members impressed me with their skills and knowledge.

And by that point the jerk in the other car has generally become frustrated and found some way to cut through traffic and get around me.

Maybe I should call it Zen and the Art of Porsche Management. :-)

Cheers,
-Robert
Old 05-18-2006, 07:43 PM
schred
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is much truth to this as the only time this happens is when I am in one of my P cars. My real hot rod ( which really will smoke most other on the road) attracts very little attention. When I am driving the 968, I get this all the time. If they only knew it was just a little 4 cylinder under the hood!
FS

Quick Reply: Porsche vs Punks