Sponsored by:

INSTALL RECARO SRD OR NOT? COMMENTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 07:46 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default INSTALL RECARO SRD OR NOT? COMMENTS

I have a dilema that has been bothering me for the last year? I have a pair of SRD Recaros ( I think these are also called Recaro speed- these have the holes in the crotch area for 5 point harness) -brand new that I had installed into my Mustang 2.5 years ago and the Mustang just sits in the garage the past 1.5 years ever since I got the 993.

I was thinking is it worth the hassle of moving one of the SRD Recaros to my drivers seat on the 993 or not? They feel really nice and seem to be more comfortable then the stock seat and definitely have high bolsters; a side benefit is that I will not wear out the stock seat too.

My brother said that it would look stupid if you don't have a matching set as I was thinking of leaving the driver's seat in the Mustang and sticking the other one in the 993. My interior is gray and the SRDs are black.

Please comment.

Thanks Guys.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:48 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this a track car? if not, then i don't think two different seats will look good
Old 05-11-2006, 08:00 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Scott,
I think research exists that substantiates the following: If one installs a set of Recaro SRD seats into a 1997 or older Porsche 993, the rear aluminum subframe and suspension members will be destroyed by galvanic corrosion in short order. This only applies to vehicles owned and operated in the state of Washington.

Remedy?

Sell them to me

Andreas
Old 05-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a Speed in the driver's side of my car and I don't think it's comfortable at all. In fact it sucks. I don't think its the seat, but the way it works in the Porsche: The seat bottom seems too flat and there's no lumbar support. Its a great seat on the track, but 1/2 hour is about it. 2 hours to Thunderhill and my back is killing me. I am not looking forward to driving to Fernley in the fall.

Greg H.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

SR71 and Greg:

I have used both SRD and Speeds in my 993's. The seat bottoms of these seats are the same, but the seat back ARE quite different. The SRD is wider and quite a bit more agressive. Now that the SRD's are back in production, I would recommend them over Speeds...just my $0.02

As far a being too flat and no lumbar, remember the Speed and SRD are aftermarket Recaros and a lot depends on how the seats get mounted in the car. Generic mounts for the 993 are just that. They will mount a bottom bolted Recaro into the car. However, this does not mean the seats are set correctly at the proper cant...

With both the Speed and the SRD, I have found that I need to raise the front of the seat at least 1/2 of an inch to keep from having that submarining feeling while driving. I have been doing this on most all Recaros I have mounted in Porsches. Depending on who's and what seat mount you have, this can be an easy adjustment or you may have to make some simple spacer blocks for under the front bolts for the seat. All in all, with the seats properly canted, they can be quite nice as a dual purpose street / track seat.

As far a lumbar goes, here too there are many options. If bought new, Recaro supplies a lumbar pad in the bag with the warranty card and seat bolts. Its nothing extravagent, but is effective (made from carpet padding). Also, there is a pneumatic lumbar pillow made by several third parties that is easily fitted to either the Speed or SRD. So far I have not opted for the pneumatic pillow, but have thought of it.

Hope this helps !
Old 05-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe I was a bit harsh. I llike my seat bottom angled quite a bit and Jim is right, they could be set up that way if I really wanted. But I like the stock seats for around town so I am getting pretty good at R & Ring seats.

Greg H.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:51 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Hey Andreas:

Thanks for the update on the galvanizing problem that 993 have on SRDs installed in the State of Washington. Glad you told me before the next PCA DE in the next 2 weeks. I would hate to have my car fall apart in the middle of a DE; embarrassing and dangerous. Its scary how the WA has these effects on 993s – no wonder people are selling so many of these cars to out of Staters like yourself.

You can have the 2 SRDs for a mere 10.00 since they are no good to me + the WA state tax which I have to collect of 3800 times the value of these seats which brings the total to $38,010. WA state has strange taxing laws on Speed equipment and unfortunately these are Recaro Speed Seats.

I am sure you have the cash on hand but if you don’t – no worries , I’ll be very happy to take the Pink on your lovely 95 and ship you the SRDs at your convenience. Hope to hear from you soon.

Scott

P.S I’ll pay for all the shipping since you’re such a great guy. oh and BTW can you throw in one 911 clocks

Last edited by SR71BLACKBIRD; 05-11-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:55 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Hey Guys: Thanks for all the responses. I didn't know that the SRDs were different from Speeds.

Thanks again

Scott
Old 05-12-2006, 02:28 AM
Brad '95 C4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim & Greg-
In a prior car with SRD's I've used the pneumatic Recaro lumbar and it really works great. I think around $40 each. You can call Terry at Griffin Motorwerke in Berkeley 510/524-7447.
Cheers, Brad
Old 05-12-2006, 09:01 AM
SwayBar
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Morton
As far a being too flat and no lumbar, remember the Speed and SRD are aftermarket Recaros and a lot depends on how the seats get mounted in the car. Generic mounts for the 993 are just that. They will mount a bottom bolted Recaro into the car. However, this does not mean the seats are set correctly at the proper cant...

With both the Speed and the SRD, I have found that I need to raise the front of the seat at least 1/2 of an inch to keep from having that submarining feeling while driving. I have been doing this on most all Recaros I have mounted in Porsches. Depending on who's and what seat mount you have, this can be an easy adjustment or you may have to make some simple spacer blocks for under the front bolts for the seat. All in all, with the seats properly canted, they can be quite nice as a dual purpose street / track seat.
Yes, buy the Recaro side-mount brackets!

I just bought and installed Recaro Pole Positions using Recaro's side-mount bracket kit. I mounted the seat using the highest bolt-hole in the front, and the lowest in the rear for full cant. I truly cannot believe how comfortable they are; money well spent!

Here are the brackets at the bottom of the page:

http://on-trackperformance.com/recar...e_position.htm
Old 05-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Eric S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Pole Positions

Jim/Greg

I have been really happy with the Pole Positions that I got from Jim. I never thought I'd like them for longer drives but actually really comfortable. Just have to deal with the in and out which is not as easy as stock seats.

Will probably go back to stock for a while when my daughter starts really begging me to go which is right around the corner.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Cy
Racer

Swaybar,

I've been thinking about the Pole Positions for some time now. What type of car did you put them in and how was the installation of the side mounts? Any pictures?

Eric,

How did you mount yours? Any pictures of your install, too?

Kind regards,

Quick Reply: INSTALL RECARO SRD OR NOT? COMMENTS