993 Forum 1995-1998

Buyer Beware

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 05:40 PM
infinii
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanriffs
I have also heard not so great things about this dealer. In addition, the way the cars are advertised doesn't inspire confidence (can't remember specifics). I would stay away in the future.

Lastly, I agree that if it's a couple of thousand dollars to sort out, remember it could have been much worse. I almost bought a '91 turbo that could have cost me $10-$12K in rebuild costs.

Look my friend.

If you are not going to bother taking the time to remember the specifics, don't go spreading unfounded rumors like this. It's so admirable of you to not spend time to remember but you will gladly take the time to write such a post.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:38 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
All of you are correct, we should not be jumping to conclusions without hearing both sides of the story... However...

IF the buyer asked specifically about any leaks, and he was told there were NO leaks by the seller, then the seller is, at best, a liar. It is not hard to spot a leak on these cars, you stick your head under the rear bumper and have a look. The age of the car has NOTHING to do with this. This is about lying.
I read the same posts and cannot for the life of me come to your conclusion that Brian flagrantly lied to the buyer. I don't see how you can come to that conclusion without first hand knowledge of what was really said by both parties.

Are you privileged to some special information we have not seen? because if you're not privy to something else said, your comment is mere speculation and has no merit.
Brian sold the car like most used car dealers "As is / No warranty" and that's exactly what it means.

The people who I bought my car from also stated there were no oil leaks and I responded "I have never seen a 911 that didn't leak oil"
I then had a PPI done that came back clean "No Leaks"! When I got the car home I took the engine tray off and viola', it had leaks!, proving I was right and the sellers were wrong, but that's the price of admission and I never once thought they lied to me for profit, they just didn't remove the engine tray to check for leaks.

I spent around $1500 for the leaks and an early (87k) 90k service and the car is now near perfect!
The way I see it, that is the price of loving and owning one of these fine 10 year old automobiles and if the newbee didn't know that, it wasn't Brians fault.

Before you flame me, keep in mind this is only how I see this situation based on the information provided so far.

Cheers,
ZP44
Old 05-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Mike, get a PPI next time and now get the car fixed and enjoy it. Brian, very professional and well written responce. Hang in there guys.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:31 PM
c4stoo
Banned

This thread and some of the comments by so many of the true ******** that are on Rennlist regularly is the exact reason I spend all of about 5 minutes on this site every 6 months. Good lord some of you flamers truly are a bunch of jerks with clearly no life to speak of. Don't dare express an opinion or you'll get shot down everytime by some idiot who knows about as much about the topic as a hole in the ground. Sadly, this is why the site has continued to lose participants and folks don't come back.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:17 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by c4stoo
This thread and some of the comments by so many of the true ******** that are on Rennlist regularly is the exact reason I spend all of about 5 minutes on this site every 6 months. Good lord some of you flamers truly are a bunch of jerks with clearly no life to speak of. Don't dare express an opinion or you'll get shot down everytime by some idiot who knows about as much about the topic as a hole in the ground. Sadly, this is why the site has continued to lose participants and folks don't come back.
I am guessing that c4stoo is not your true Rennlist screen name. Thus, you are a coward. I have more respect for a "flamer" than I do for a coward.

Last edited by Chuck W.; 05-11-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:25 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
I am guessing that c4stoo is not your true Rennlist screen name. Thus, you are a coward. I have more respect for a "flamer" that I disagree with than a coward.
hmmm, 1 post. Will there be a #2?
Old 05-10-2006, 11:29 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey Pal, dont let the door hit you on your way out...
Old 05-11-2006, 12:13 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJF1
Hey Pal, dont let the door hit you on your way out...
Ditto on that
Old 05-11-2006, 01:41 AM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The one minute you spent writing your post was too long... and we're a-holes?
Old 05-11-2006, 01:55 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

lol.. I was waiting to see what the response was gonna be to that 1 post wonder....
Old 05-11-2006, 02:01 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by ceboyd
lol.. I was waiting to see what the response was gonna be to that 1 post wonder....
I don't think you were the only one... LOL.. I was too
Old 05-11-2006, 02:12 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

IN truth I think the bottom line is we are very supportive of our fellow rennlister's and maybe have a tendancy to 'jump down the throats' of BUSINESSes rather than 'individual' rennlist members when gripe posts happen... it's human nature to support fellow rennlister's... and (yes it's true) to support an individual 1st when involving the 'car-salesman' ....just stigma of the 'used car salesman' alone doesn't help..

...am I wrong???
Old 05-11-2006, 04:34 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

hmmm........who could this be?????????? one post? but yet a member?.PLAESSSS.....

get back to your lounge..................maybe you can figure out tire configs..............doubtful.............but we can pray......

Last edited by Fill; 05-11-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:34 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Most of you know that I sell these cars as well. The best way to answer the infamous "oil leak" question is to simply say. I am not aware of any, but you are welcome, and I encourage you to have a PPI done so you know what you are buying. I always make it very well known that a prospective buyer should and has the opportunity to have the vehicle inspected at the shop of his choice. I also document everything I do to a car with pictures and receipts. I even give them the phone number of my mechanic who did all the work. When the buyer sees what I've done to a car and all the receipts of the work I do the sale goes through without a hitch because they know exactly what they are buying. Also I will not negotiate on price before or after a PPI. Usually the PPI comes back perfect. I give the photos and the receipts to the prospective buyer to take to the mechanic so he can see what has been done. I try to alleviate all issues prior to the car being posted for sale. Just my .02

Mike
Old 05-11-2006, 10:49 AM
SLVR
Pro

3 993s from private individuals with ZERO issues says that it is possible. Why anyone would buy a car sight unseen is beyond me, for me that seems like buying a lottery ticket.

Trusting a used car sales person on his word...... draws a smile :-)

Quick Reply: Buyer Beware