Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Buyer Beware

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 01:07 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wasn't there an ******* poll a couple of weeks ago? I think we all agreed we were, correct? lol
Old 05-11-2006, 02:15 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread has bothered me for a while.

I feel bad when a fellow rennlister gets some problems with his/her buy but a PPI should have been done as the cars are sold "AS Is with no warranty" especially if one is buying it sight unseen.

That said I did not do a PPI on mine when I purchased it from the Porsche Dealer that origninally had sold the car. I did however test drive the car and had them put the car on the hoist and Dealer themselves had replaced all items; including tires, all struts for hood and trunk, wipers, cig lighter, seat belt cover, wheel locks etc. and their mechanic's assessement was that the car was perfect. The 26,000 mile car came with complete perfect records and based on my own perceptions of touching and seeing the car I bought it.

About 2 weeks later I happened to look underneath the right rear passenger carpeting and too my horror I find that it is soaking wet and I was shocked and speechless and thought I had bought a POS. I called the Porsche Dealer and they said they would take care of it and they spent a couple days looking for the leak and replacing the padding underneath and I even got a couple days of driving in a new Cayenne.

To-date with the addtional 12,000 miles accumulated in the 1.5 years (38K), I have nothing but a big grin everytime I start her up.

That said, I really don't think it is Buxton fault but a little good will from Brian would be nice to ease the pain of Mike and would do everyone some good here too.

Mike - just fix it and enjoy and seeing if Buxton can help out a little - its never too late to make amends .

Scott

P.S. BTW I think in the poll i considered myself not an ******* and I still stand by it. I am just a nice *******.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:33 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by c4stoo
This thread and some of the comments by so many of the true ******** that are on Rennlist regularly is the exact reason I spend all of about 5 minutes on this site every 6 months. Good lord some of you flamers truly are a bunch of jerks with clearly no life to speak of. Don't dare express an opinion or you'll get shot down everytime by some idiot who knows about as much about the topic as a hole in the ground. Sadly, this is why the site has continued to lose participants and folks don't come back.
Gee that was really helpful, thanks for setting all of us ******** straight, NOT!

Your insight into the forum and your post is probably the most ignorant thing I have ever seen posted here, Congratulations!

FYI; We @ the 993 forum really like to be called *********, not ********!
Old 05-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A PPI

is good for a sight unseen purchase or for the new or less experienced "USED" Porsche buyer.....I do think a buyer needs to have checkoff document for a PPI.....what is no big deal to a mechanic may translate differently to the buyer.....But it has been said numerous times reserve $2,000 to $5,000 for the first year......when it hits early after purchase, there is a disappointment factor for most folks

This deal did not sound worthy of a "Buyer Beware" thread...I do keep a list of people to avoid and Brian is on it......several years ago we agreed to a price on a 993, or so I thought......Brian came back and said " no can do".....Brian had failed to acknowledge the car was consignment and the owner said "no"......

I always ask to see evidence of title, but this time I didn't.....MY ERROR.....It brought many conversation to a close with Richard Sloan.....

It is to bad the parties can't reach a mutually satisfactory deal
Old 05-11-2006, 05:20 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 424 Posts

"STOP THE INSANITY"!!!! Susan Powter
Old 05-11-2006, 10:12 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for all the responses to my original post. I feel that full and complete disclosure is the best policy when selling something and still contend that I was misled.

Although I appreciate Brian Buxton taking the time to respond to my post, his version was not entirely accurate and contains numerous discrepancies. This will be my last post commenting on this issue as I will not become involved in some sort of juvenile vitriolic diatribe.

The bottom line is that I did not plan spending any significant amount of money on this vehicle after only 300 miles of ownership. Am I disappointed? Absolutely...but a valuable lesson was learned. The 993 is the 5th Porsche I've owned and I look forward to spending quality time with it once it returns from my mechanic.

Perhaps once my work schedule lightens up somewhat I will be able to embark on some DIY projects and look forward to utilizing Rennlist as a resource.

Mike
Old 05-12-2006, 02:23 PM
hddude
Racer

Originally Posted by K964
This will be my last post commenting on this issue as I will not become involved in some sort of juvenile vitriolic diatribe.

Mike
So I guess you learned that trying to trash someone's business reputation on the Internet isn't going to win you unanimous approval by your readers? After reading the evil USED car dealer's response, your version of the facts may not be the one some of us will choose to believe. Of course you won't suffer any negative consequences whereas the evil USED car dealer may lose some business thanks to your juvenile stunt.

As for those posters who think it would be nice if Buxton helped out with some of these alleged issues, I'd say Buxton has already paid enough in the form of his business' lost reputation. If I was Buxton, the only thing I'd consider is a libel suit. It's not right that someone can defame a business without proving the facts.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:15 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

No grounds for libel (according to an attorney that works for me).

Next time you buy a car like this, go through a buyer broker like Dave Maynard.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:03 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fill
hmmm........who could this be?????????? one post? but yet a member?.PLAESSSS.....

get back to your lounge..................maybe you can figure out tire configs..............doubtful.............but we can pray......
My friend Tony came over to my house today and told me about this thread, and your post.

You are pathetic. I have better things to do than waste my time coming over here to berate Rennlister's... especially under some assumed name.

If I have something to say you will know where it's coming from.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:11 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 487 Posts

Did I miss something? Wow.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:12 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by mnmblu
My friend Tony came over to my house today and told me about this thread, and your post.

You are pathetic. I have better things to do than waste my time coming over here to berate Rennlister's... especially under some assumed name.

If I have something to say you will know where it's coming from.

I guess that proves it. After years of buying every drug and every pump & mechanical gadget and every gimmick advertised, his dick is still just as small as ever. He should have spent that money on a good microscope instead.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:39 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by 993James993
I think that Alan was refering to c4stoo's post, not yours Fill.
James,
Well then he should have quoted c4stoos.........post......not mine. seems like others responded to c4stoo...........yet allen chose me?.........

NO harm no foul on my part.........and I hope you are right..........but I doubt it.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:29 AM
rouguitar
AutoX

Anyone who thinks they are going to get a "new" 993 is dreaing. My '96 993 cab is exceptionally well maintained and looks absolutely perfect, however, it is not "perfect" or as "new". Anytime you buy a used car you should plan on having a budget to repair some problems. Rarely does someone perform all the required maintenance, fix any and all defects and then put it up for sale. They would never recoup all the expenses in the sale. Having said that there are ways to protect yourself and know better what you are buying. While I agree a PPI is mandatory I have also had the experience that they miss things and that there are repairs still to be made that were not identified. Therefore I only buy used exotics with service records. I always drive and visually inspect them and I always trust my gut and try and remove any emotional attachment I have to the vehicle. There are lots of nice cars to buy. If I notice anything suspicious I discuss it with the dealer and a contingency is agreed upon in case there is a specific problem.

I also agree that we should not be bashing a dealer publicly when there is a disagreement. I own my own business and while we try and do everyhting right and treat everyone fairly disagreements naturally happen. They should be dealt with privately and unless you are absolutely sure that you have been mislead and lied to they do not belong in a public forum.

1996 911 Cab
Front Splitters
Xenon headlights
Short Shift Kit
M030 Suspension w/Bilstein
RSR Muffler
CAI w/K&N Air Filter
Champion Monolite 1-piece wheels (for sale)
Alpine CD w/Amp Boston Acoustics speakers

2000 BMW M5
EVO Short Shfit Kit
AC SChnitzer Type III 18"
Old 05-16-2006, 03:08 PM
lowblow
Racer

I purchased my car without a PPI. At the time, I didn't know about Rennlist. The car was out of state and since I wasn't having a PPI, I knew that I at least had to fly out to see it. This is my first 911 and I therefore didn't know any of the potential issues that arrise in these cars like I do now, (thank you Rennlist). Anyway, I have purchased a number of used cars and motorcycles, (some seen and some unseen), and really trust my gut. I demand getting complete records and usually engage the owner, (and other prior owners), in enough dialogue to come to a conclusion about the vehicle.

As soon as I purchased my car I immediately sent it to the most respected local authority on 911's. After nearly having a nervous breakdown awaiting his assessment, he informed me that I had gotten ahold of a very well maintained 993.

I told him that I felt I may have paid about 2K more than I should have and he quickly responded that 1 or 2 relatively minor issues, (that could have easily been overlooked during a PPI), could have cost me that or more.

I guess the moral of the story is you can pay up front for a very clean well maintained vehicle or you can pay later for the lack of maintenance. If I had to do it again I would definitely get the PPI, but I truly feel that ones gut feeling and common sense can find you a very nice vehicle.

As one of my buddies says..."It's all that good, clean living that protects you".

Mike
Old 05-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Ninetynine996
...This will be my last post
Can I get an amen?

Quick Reply: Buyer Beware