Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Buyer Beware

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UGH!! That stinks Sorry to hear about your bad experience but thank you for the sobering reminder.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Mercedes dealer do a PPI on my 1987 560 SEL and they missed stuff a high school auto mechanic student wouldn't have missed. I fixed it out of my own pocket and moved on. It is a great car and I love it.

On the other hand, I had a PPI done on the 993 (way before Rennlist and all this good info) and they found nothing and there has been nothing. Had it in this morning for the annual oil change (yeah, I take it in) and he went over it with a fine tooth comb as he does each May. He said: "Dang that's dry under there"! He sees leaks from cars that are not driven hard ( and top end rebuilds).

Woo Hoo, drive it like you stole it and don't do short errand and trips.

Good luck, I hope you can get the car the way you want.

Cheers
Old 05-09-2006, 01:01 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about this experience.
Just think about when it all gets sorted out. Then it will be fun again. LOTS of fun.
chuck
Old 05-09-2006, 01:16 AM
LuftKopf
Pro

You'll get it sorted out, and save headaches and $ with the support & direction from this list.

From my first DME fix (:30 mins from panic! to fixed) this board and the people on it are top notch resources.

And as they've apparently gone from Buxton to "Bucks ton" they'll feel it, and wonder why the phones quieted down.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:38 AM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wholesale my ***.

Do you have photos that show the condition as you found it? You could file (or threaten to file) suit in small claims. Some jurisdictions allow you to participate by phone, so you don't even have to go there.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:23 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Mike,
The sequence of normal psychological feelings for this quickly fade away
when you fix all the problems and drive your car.
Think of it as a nice young beautiful Russian bride you got on through the net and when she got here
she wasn't really a Doctor who spoke seven languages and loved to cook.
However after a few thousand dollars spent on English as a second language and some cooking lessons you loved her just the same.
It's only money and it only hurts for a few minutes while you're writing the check!
Chris
Old 05-09-2006, 02:31 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mike,
Part of the reason I've learned how to work on cars in the enjoyment of it, but a more significant reason is that I simply don't trust a lot of mechanics. Most of them try to make a quick sale and either don't fix your problems right or they convince you to pay for something that's really not needed. I see you've discovered this the hard way.

The repairs you mentioned, although commulatively can cost a bit in a dealer shop to fix, are really not all that bad (provided your description of problems are complete). Most all can be done with the assistance of someone who has done it (which is probably pretty common on Rennlist).

Besides, we are all there to help you online. Sorry, but I live in California, so the trip would not be worth it to you. But I (and most Rennlisters, I am sure) will lead you to help fix it yourself.

Perhaps this is your calling to get your hands dirty and learn how to take this baby apart! Besides, it will give you more appreciation for how these wonderful machines are put together.

Marc
Old 05-09-2006, 05:10 AM
Monty
Advanced

I don't think it's a disaster by any means. Once fixed you will enjoy it.

I totally agree with Marc, I don't think you should own these cars unless you are prepared to do work yourself or accept you will have to pay up to keep them in good order.

For instance, your CV boot costs about $12 but takes about 3 hours to fit. I did mine a few weeks ago.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:02 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

K964:

You have a PM

Mike
Old 05-09-2006, 09:15 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Bad story and leaves a bad taste.....but believe me a PPI is not always insurance....I flew down to NC to collect my car and was impressed with the seller having spent several hours on the phone discussing the car etc...everything seemed clean and all the issues (all very minor) on the PPI were corrected......unfortunately within two months I replaced the DMF (the first time Taylor at ASG drove the car he detected it.....my naive ears did not hear the very slight knock until he pointed it out)....well it was a good excuse to go to LFW and RS Clutch (so the slipperyt slope began), also within 1000 miles the CEL came on!!! SAI blocked......and when Taylor spent some time under the car he found a slight oil leak....easy fix but should have been found at PPI ..........so I spent about $3K in the first few months "repairing" items that the PPI should have discovered......those that know me know that at the time I was pissed but that I LOVE THIS CAR......after getting the bad taste out of my system I learnt to appreciate and love her all over again.....she may or may not be worth what I have into her......but it would now take a big check to remove her from my ownership.......Mike....I understand your pain, but its time to just bury it....you now have one of the best p-cars out there...you know you have sorted most of the issues....now enjoy the miles you put on her....start to spend money on the slippery slope and you will fall in love all over again as she becomes YOURS!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:16 AM
AGC
Racer

I learned my leason 6 years ago and my lesson cost me almost $10k. I bought a car without a PPI from a Ferrari dealership (authorized), had them fo a 30k service before shipping the car. Long story short, when I got the car it broke down on me, I took it in to the shop to get it fixed $10k and less than 500 miles later the car was sold. At the end the dealer that i bought the car from did fork over half, so I ended up loosing a $5k for 500 miles.

Man that was an expensive lesson learned
Old 05-09-2006, 09:28 AM
tam993
Instructor

It would be kind of interesting to find out how many people bought their car from a dealer or private owner and who was most satisfied....

Last edited by tam993; 05-09-2006 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am different in that I buy as close to wholesale as much as possible. Because I know I will be spending money on the car either mechanically or cosmeticaly. I guess all we can do it put forth the effort to have the car checked out, but I am a firm believer in the old saying "a car is only new once" do all your homework and PPI and hope for the best.

Mike
Old 05-09-2006, 09:47 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Almost every used car has some issue or another. The money you spent wouldn't cover the sales tax on a new one. I always figure on spending some money on a used car or boat or motorcycle.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:49 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While some say it's an 11 year old car, the point is the salesman blatently lied.

Thank god there is enough objectivity on Rennlist that this thread wasn't deleted because it is a story about a sponsor- there is no excuse. If we weren't allowed to expose bad businesses (sponsors or not), well then the whole of Rennlist may as well be shut down. Kudos to Rennlist, and may Buxtom get their due- in lost sales.

Quick Reply: Buyer Beware