993 Forum 1995-1998

Buyer Beware

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 09:49 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I am glad Brian responded. I have been on his site many times (great descriptions with far more detail than anyone else I have seen), talked to him about a couple cars (did not end up buying either), and referred friends to him. I always felt he was a stand up guy and I miss his input. I remember him being on here back when the list came via email and you had to sort through to see if there was anything of interest to you. That seems like a long time ago.

It always seems everytime someone flames someone else on here, a bunch of people jump on board and THEN we hear the other side of the story. I think I will skip all of these threads from now on. Hopefully, I am never subject of one of these deals.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love it when someone..........does not bother..........with any adivce, like say getting a PRE purchase inspection............and then complains.........PLEASE NOOBE........find another outlet to blame yourself!...........while I am at it......yesterday I put in 75 cents to get the NY times out of a machine.....and the damn thing would not open!.......in retropect......it was the best 75 cents I ever spent......should I post about the injustice
Old 05-09-2006, 10:40 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian-I'm glad you responded. It is good to hear you side.
chuck
Old 05-10-2006, 12:05 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Very interesting thread - lots to learn about human behavior when making a significant emotional purchase

I would encourage Mike to work with Brian to resolve their issues in private and then post the results. Best case scenario would have both Mike and Brian mutually agree to a settlement and restore some faith in the Positive power of Rennlist
Old 05-10-2006, 12:06 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Very interesting thread - lots to learn about human behavior when making a significant emotional purchase

I would encourage Mike to work with Brian to resolve their issues in private and then post the results. Best case scenario would have both Mike and Brian mutually agree to a settlement and restore some faith in the Positive power of Rennlist

yes indeed!
Old 05-10-2006, 12:55 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Torn CV boots, leaking valve covers on an 11-year-old car? If you think that this is major, you have no business owning a Porsche.

I for one am glad that Brian responded in an intelligent, respectful way. I for one hope that these two can sort things out, but after the seemingly undue crucifixion that Brian received, I would not blame him if he just walks away from the whole thing.

There is a bit a of a "pack mentality" on this board. It needs to stop before we have another misunderstanding.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have also heard not so great things about this dealer. In addition, the way the cars are advertised doesn't inspire confidence (can't remember specifics). I would stay away in the future.

Lastly, I agree that if it's a couple of thousand dollars to sort out, remember it could have been much worse. I almost bought a '91 turbo that could have cost me $10-$12K in rebuild costs.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:18 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TomF
Torn CV boots, leaking valve covers on an 11-year-old car? If you think that this is major, you have no business owning a Porsche.

I for one am glad that Brian responded in an intelligent, respectful way. I for one hope that these two can sort things out, but after the seemingly undue crucifixion that Brian received, I would not blame him if he just walks away from the whole thing.

There is a bit a of a "pack mentality" on this board. It needs to stop before we have another misunderstanding.
All of you are correct, we should not be jumping to conclusions without hearing both sides of the story... However...

IF the buyer asked specifically about any leaks, and he was told there were NO leaks by the seller, then the seller is, at best, a liar. It is not hard to spot a leak on these cars, you stick your head under the rear bumper and have a look. The age of the car has NOTHING to do with this. This is about lying.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:00 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

In this case you have done a PPI - post purchase instigation. You asked the wrong questions. Rather than "does it leak oil" to which the dealer looks on the floor and says "no" a better question would have been "is there ANY evidence of oil on the heat exchangers or the engine tray". If he answered "I have not checked" and you replied "could you please check?" and he said "no, I can not" then you would have passed on the car because that would have sent up a red flag that the dealer simply is too lazy to do so. If the dealer said "no" THEN one would assume that the dealer had looked there and checked and then it would be a lie if you did indeed find Niagra or the Valdez. I agree that with that desription you would definately see oil on the ground and pretty much everywhere but he engine! One of the major problems with us these days is that we feel entitled and we do not encourage responsibility. I bought from one of the posters on this thread who did lie even when asked the question. I had looked at the pics of the part - asked the question - and was sort of told that the pics were bad - it was not - blah blah. I chose not to even say anything (till now) because I went against my better judgement (pics don't lie) and bought. Did you get pics of the underside? The problems that you have were created by.............YOU!! Thanks for sharing your feelings!!
Old 05-10-2006, 01:10 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

GratefulJED, you sound like a lawyer.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Luus
Pro

Post purchase instigation that's a good one John! Sorry not trying to make light of the original poster's bad experience. Can't we just take the post as a reminder--Caveat Emptor. When buying a used car we need to keep our head about us and stack the odds in our favor as much as possible (PPI, in person check by buyer or trusty RennLister)
Old 05-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Glad the vendor came forward to present his side of things.

There are indeed 2 sides to every argument- and I've found that one side is rarely 100% right and the other 100% wrong (the exception being arguments with my wife; where we agree someone IS 100% right/wrong- we just can't agree on which of us is which).

Also, terms like "oil leak" are subject to vast personal interpretation; one man's Exxon Valdiz is another man's S.S. Minnow.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:47 PM
bebbmi
8th Gear

<<I would encourage Mike to work with Brian to resolve their issues in private and then post the results. Best case scenario would have both Mike and Brian mutually agree to a settlement and restore some faith in the Positive power of Rennlist>>

I think it's probably gone a bit past that.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:49 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Jnx - as they say in that damn funny Las Vegas commercial "in the off season"!
Old 05-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Brian is a good guy, he helped me sell a car a few years ago and seemed like an honest guy. I bought a new 993 in 1997 and within a few months it had a wet engine, dealer replaced the valve cover gaskets, no biggee. This buyer is making a mountain out of a molehill, these repairs are mickey mouse stuff and his shop is ripping him a new one.

Quick Reply: Buyer Beware