Hit by an SUV- minor damage, major PITA

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 08:43 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts
Angry Hit by an SUV- minor damage, major PITA

After having a nice dinner with friends last night, I came out to my car to discover the dreaded "note" on my windshield. It said that a guy hit the front of my car and took off and to see the manager at the restaurant. The front was banged up and will require a new cover, turn signal and minor work on the fender. No big deal, but the idiot took off. Fortunately, several people, including the manager of the restaurant adjacent to where I parked, got the guy's license plate number and left me the note.

I called the police and told them what happened and two patrol cars showed up in five minutes. The officers took my statement and that of the nice manager of the restaurant. They then went to the offending person's house, only a couple of blocks away and told him off. (It is a criminal act in Washington to leave an accident on a public street without leaving a note.)

About twenty minutes later, the guy shows up at the restaurant all pissed off that the police had come to his door. I asked him whether I needed to call the police again to deal with his attitude. He calmed down very quickly and I asked him whose fault it was that the police came to his door. He said the restaurant manager. I said, wrong answer, and reminded him again that the police could still write him up. He then said that it was his fault for not leaving a note. BINGO! I told him to get a piece of paper, write down all the pertinent information and that if it all worked out fine with his insurance company I would encourage the police to not press charges. (It is still an open case at this point.) We parted with me saying that I hoped that that would conclude our business and that I planned to forget all about his bad behavior and enjoy the rest of my evening.

So now I am waiting for his claims person to call me and then we get to do the "insurance dance."

The guy was such an a$$ that I wish that the police had arrested him. I just can't understand why people cannot be responsible and leave a note.

A funny side note: the accident happened ten feet from where the coach of the Seattle SuperSonics was having dinner outside. The manager went to him first to see if it was his car. He replied that, no, it wasn't his car, but the idiot that hit it chose the wrong car to hit!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:57 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Press charges. He deserves it, he shows no remorse whatsoever. I hate people like that. Stereotypical SUV driver. Let me guess, Chevy Tahoe?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:59 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Aarrrgh. It's only damage to stuff, but the PITA is, well, a PITA.

Given the attitude why not encourage the law to do its job after the insurance is settled? Breaks are for good people, the others can use the lesson.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:09 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
Press charges. He deserves it, he shows no remorse whatsoever. I hate people like that.
i second that. if you don't handle this he will just do it again to someone else...
Old 05-08-2006, 09:22 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Pressed charges wouldn't harm your insurance claim either... in fact might "grease the skids" somewhat...
Old 05-08-2006, 09:22 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would report "progress" back to police and get an accident report done. Would also get some estimates if you haven't already to see what you are up against with costs. I truly admire your attitude to make this right, but seems person is indifferent to your needs.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kudos for keeping a cool head in the face of **** indignation.

Good Luck
Old 05-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I read threads like this and my blood pressure goes up. What an ***. Now...lets talk about a Euro TT bumper or perhaps splitters. What's that saying about lemons into lemon aid.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:06 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

thankfully you got the info on the guy... I've had other car's hit in the past with no note and no way to know who did the deed
Old 05-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

You may have to press charges, some insurance companies require you to "assist with prosecution" for settlement.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:51 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"minor damage" is a major PITA, the only way that I feel any better is knowing that when I get my car back it will have euro bumpers, and yes, the one in the front is TT.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Porscheologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SUV + 993 =

I feel your pain. Or my car did anyway. I was hit by an SUV (Escalade) in the passenger door about 2 months ago. She was not a jerk but did try to say there was no damage. Yeah right! HUGE hassle factor but car looks like new now.

Bummer!!
Old 05-08-2006, 10:54 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing that some people can't step up to the plate and take responsibility for there actions. Admire your patience and cool head given the situation. I agree with some of the others, report back to the cops with progress but let them do there job. If they press charges maybe he'll learn to be more accountable. Good luck with getting this cleared up and the car back in shape.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:57 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

SUVs -- another reason to like higher gas prices -- the possibility of less SUVs out there
Old 05-08-2006, 11:36 PM
901aero
Burning Brakes

Get your car fixed to your satisfaction and forget the A-hole. Pressing charges will probably not result in "lesson taught" -- as shown by his response of it was "the resturant manger's fault". Oh hell yes he'll do it again because in his mind the only thing he did wrong was get caught. Let's all hope for Karma to kick in.

Quick Reply: Hit by an SUV- minor damage, major PITA