Sponsored by:

My stereo system upgrade and sub alternative:

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts
Default My stereo system upgrade and sub alternative:

I bought my car a couple of months ago and decided that as my first drive would be +1400 miles, I could not live with the stock CR210 and speakers.

Did a lot of reading here (thanks all) but decided in the end on Focal speakers all around, a suitable amp and a Sony h/u to integrate with my iPod (very important). The Sony is mainly black face and has a changeable display colour (red is most anti-bling) so pretty benign aesthetically speaking. The Nakamichi I really liked but is just too unreliable IMO.

Finally I added an Infinity self contained powered sub that sits on the floor behind the passenger seat (or can sit on the seat itself) and is easily removed when I have my kids on board. Its a tradeoff but if you are used to hearing the bottom octave and want/need to, but occassionaly need the space for legs- well, this is what I chose.

The Focal's have exceptional midrange (too forward in fact and need to be tamed I find), good top end and have great bottom end for their size - the Infinity provides bottom octave punch when the source material requires.

Finally the Sony has a very simple handheld remote that can control the iPod and system volume and other parameters. Its very intuitive as well ( I did not have to look at the manual to operate). I think it was all of $150 or so, maybe even $129- can't remember, whereas the speakers were a bit pricey.

I'm happy with the sound and the functionality. YMMV.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:31 AM
ENTROPY
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ritter,

I am looking for a similar solution for a sub in my car. I really like Rod's sub enclosure, but I too have kids that occasionally use the back seat. Did you go with the Infinity Basslink? What do you think of it?

Dan
Old 05-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

I had it in my S4 and really like it. Very tuneable and quite adequate for most applications unless you want more sound OUTSIDE you car than in. Its elegant enough that you don't even need to cover it up if you don't want to (I leave my gym napsack on top so you can't even see it anyway).

Very cost effective and well made.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Ritter....Great info. Did you have the Hi-Fi system? If so were the focal speakers plug and play or did you remove the plastic box and put them in the door? Did you change those little tweeters? The amp....was it a straight swap for the one under the seat of did you have to rewire everything? TIA.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:11 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Ritter

How about pictures of the sub?
Old 05-06-2006, 12:23 PM
ENTROPY
Intermediate

Ok. Sounded like a good solution. Just ordered the Infinity sub.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 05-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Hey I only chose the stuff and paid for it- I don't do installations (or windows).

Ok- pics to follow but the speakers (including tweeters) replace all the stockers- the amp too.
How easy I cannot say (re: above).

I don't think I had hi-fi- I forget how can you tell again? Certainly not by the sound.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Damn- can't upload. Can I PM someone these and perhaps they can?

Also I my get a piece of grey carpet to drape over it- then again I may not. If I wanted to, where can you get such to match the interior?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Pic now attached.

img_1880c.jpg
Old 05-08-2006, 01:34 PM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A little help.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Apparently I need it-thanks. What did you do?
I can post pics when starting a post, but not in a post already underway ( or in my signature apparently).
Old 05-08-2006, 06:21 PM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter
Apparently I need it-thanks. What did you do?
I can post pics when starting a post, but not in a post already underway ( or in my signature apparently).
Hi Ritter, just hit the "insert image" button, it's the little yellow postcard button, and insert the "url" of your signature or any other picture and hit the same button again.
So it will look like this:

~ The Eagle ~

'96 Polar Silver/Black C4S, manual, litronics, alu/leather shifter & handbrake, silver face gauges with alu rings, "GT" sport seats,
full leather interior, stainless door sills with split rear grill and layered with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax

'92 Carrera 2 (Sold)
'89 Carrera 3.2 (Sold)
Old 05-08-2006, 06:28 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Ritter, thanks for posting the picture. What would you say the dementions are?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

I only have been using "Post Quick Reply"- I now see it under "Go Advanced". Recall I am a dumbass.

Not sure but the dimensions are almost precisely that of the footwell in width- you can see its not a perfect square or rectangular shape so even the slightly narrower end(s) fit nicely in back. Depending how far back you want the seat it'll snug right between. WIth a taller person, I would place it on the back seat for more legroom up front. With passengers in back, I'd put in the boot. Flexibility.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:54 AM
Polman
Pro

When I read your thread here and saw the subwoofer, I thought that’s maybe the solution for my original tired sound system. Since the car is 10 years old, the paper cones in the loudspeakers are not so "alive" anymore. I bought this Infinity 16Basslink, and Wow! The Blaupunkt on just midrange and the entire bass from the Sub instead.....Sounds great!
Thanks a lot for that hint........

Quick Reply: My stereo system upgrade and sub alternative: