993 Forum 1995-1998

Tire replacement interval.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 11:26 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Tire replacement interval.

Assuming no major puncture requires replacement, do you typically run your tires all the way to the bars before you replace them or do you usually replace them earlier for some other reason (e.g. tramlining, noise, etc.)?
Old 05-04-2006, 11:42 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

autobon - I replace them earlier than the tread bars because it rains where I live. Water evacuation is important to me and not enough tread depth is a hazard in the rain. I have not noticed additional noise of tramlining on worn Pilot Sports or Pilot Sport 2s on my cars. Then again, both of them are fairly noisy.

Best,
Old 05-05-2006, 12:08 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Thanks Bob.

I have Bridgestone S02's now with around 5 mil left on them. I've had a brand new set of S02-A's sitting in my basement for about 3 months ready to go on. I bought them when I had a tire go down once for no apparent reason but it's never happened since so I've been trying to use them up.

Since I'm a cheap SOB, I keep putting off installing the new tires. (The old "just one more DE" excuse.)

I do have quite a bit of tire noise and I think I'm going to do what you do and replace them even though I have 1-2 mil left before the bar.

Another reason to replace them is that there is a droning noise from the driver side rear that I can't tell if it's from the tire or the bearings. Changing the tire would confirm the source of that noise. I know there are other ways to check the bearings but if the tires need replacing anyway, I might as well eliminate that possibility with replacement.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:28 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got PS2s & I run them down to the bars. But, it's pretty dry here. In a wetter climate, probably sooner. Might as well get as much as you can out of them as they're not cheap.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:27 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I run them down to the bars, then keep a close eye on them until they hit the cord.... then I know it's time to change them out. I keep a spare set of rims and tires for most cars I drive so I can swap out one set while the other is being serviced.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At the wear bars; we get rain, too.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:51 PM
MGA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wait until they won't pass inspection in NY.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're worried that tires noise is masking a worn bearing, try rolling the car (engine off) on level ground. When I had a bad bearing it was easy to hear that way... when driving the tire noise and the engine noise masked it all.

BTW, I usually go to the cord... but it's extremely rare for me to be out in the rain, unless it's a DE weekend. DE = corded tires, usually, lol

Quick Reply: Tire replacement interval.