Shipping Tires with Wheels any experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 09:08 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Shipping Tires with Wheels any experience

I probably will be shipping 4 wheels with 4 tires. Anyone with experience with best shipping method ? How did you best calulate estimated shipping costs ?

TIA.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:15 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

A couple of years ago I got mounted tires from Tire Rack. They used heavy cardboard cut in a circle over the wheels and taped them around the tires. Worked just fine. They ship UPS and the only disappointment was that two arrived on one day and one each of the next two days.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:23 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I shipped 2 sets of Fikses w/tires; I too have seen the TireRack method but wasn't too happy with the idea of the lovely Fikse's being open to the longing eyes of everyone walking by. So, I went to the local UPS store and bought boxes (1 for each tire/wheel) and bubbled-wrapped them.
UPS can give you a shipping estimate at UPS.com (I think) if you know the weight and ZIP code.
Ther are probably cheaper places to find the boxes, but this was convenient.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

FedEx Ground is probably the cheapest way to go, and you can drop it off at any Kinko's location.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Where are you located? Where are you shipping to?
Old 05-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
FedEx Ground is probably the cheapest way to go, and you can drop it off at any Kinko's location.
Yup... since you are shipping the wheels with tires mouted, I'd an individual box for each wheel. Take the dimensions (LxWxH) and an approximate weight and go to Fedex website and you can get an estimated shipping cost. Obviously due to the size and weight this will be a ground shipping. But as Mike asked above... where are you shipping to?

Good Luck.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Suggest you check with DHL for their counter-service ground rates. Usually 1/3 to 1/2 of FedEx Ground.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:16 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Maineiac
A couple of years ago I got mounted tires from Tire Rack. They used heavy cardboard cut in a circle over the wheels and taped them around the tires. Worked just fine. They ship UPS and the only disappointment was that two arrived on one day and one each of the next two days.
Ditto that..........if you have heavy-duty cardboard and plenty of packing tape no need to box.......circular cut card to cover wheel......the tire protects all else.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:19 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 438 Posts

I got my Ruf wheels from texas last year with Michelin's mounted. They sent them via a freight oriented carrier (can't recall the service) in a box with a little but not excessive protective wrapping and they came through perfectly. If memory serves, the freight was quite reasonable, meaning cheaper than fedex/ups and they came in a few days. They only pain about the whole process is that I went to the shipping warehouse to pick them up as it would have taken a few more days to get them if they delivered to my home. Considering I was aching to mount them I simply made two trips to the receiving warehouse (only 2 miles ways from my home) to pick them up. All in all no big deal...
Old 05-01-2006, 11:25 AM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just sold a set of wheels and tires to another Rennlister and shipped them UPS ground. I put painters tape over all of the wheel fronts and then attached a cardboard disk on top of that to each tire. This seemed more than sufficient and the person I sold them to said everything arrived without issues. I took the wheels & tires in to UPS Store the day before to get an estimate.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:28 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i never thought about the painters tape thing.. that's a great idea!

...and I've found DHL to be just as expensive as FEDex but FedEx is cheaper than UPS.

TireRack style is a good way to go if you can't make your own custom boxes.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I did the circular cardboard method and shipped 4 tires and wheels from Scottsdale AZ to Upstate NY. FedEx ground cost was about $80 total. Do NOT go to the UPS Store, big upcharges for packaging and shipping.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:38 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Be careful... I too received my Carrera 5-spokes via Fed-Ex ground packaged as several above noted (heavy cardboard over the wheels held together with tape over the tires). I had "transportation rash" on all four wheels, one worse than all the others. The seller made a claim with FedEx and eventually reimbursed me for the repairs, but it wasn't a wonderful experience.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:09 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by trojanman
Be careful... I too received my Carrera 5-spokes via Fed-Ex ground packaged as several above noted (heavy cardboard over the wheels held together with tape over the tires). I had "transportation rash" on all four wheels, one worse than all the others. The seller made a claim with FedEx and eventually reimbursed me for the repairs, but it wasn't a wonderful experience.

I've always placed something soft against the faces of wheels BUT the painters tape to protect the face seems like an even better option I'll have to try in the future!

It is indeed a bad idea to just use cardboard (rough surface that rubs against face causing scratches/rash from the cardboard)..

I've received VW wheels with most of the paint rubbed off onto the cardboard and ruined finish on the wheels so it's not pretty looking (UPS or FedEx say improper packaging so no claim would be honored in that case -- ask me how I know)
Old 05-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

send them via united states postal service. I have bought two sets of wheels, and both times the seller used USPS

Quick Reply: Shipping Tires with Wheels any experience