Sponsored by:

BLACKHORSE - HOOD SHOTS COOL PICS

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default BLACKHORSE - HOOD SHOTS COOL PICS

Well after a couple of days of work I am finished with the hood. I always like to do a test panel first to see what I am up against. I decided on the hood because they usually get the most abuse (rocks,scratches etc..) The pics are from initial sanding to the finished product. Black is such a PITA, but if you can suffer through the hood the rest is easier. For 11 year old paint it came out pretty good. The pics are as follow:

1. Sanded with 1500 grit dry using a DA sander
2. Sanded with 3000 grit wet using a DA sander
3. Buffed 4 times using combinations of compouds and ploishes. Waxed as well 4 times using P21S
4. Inside shot (notice the flourescent lights you see both of them in a clear line not hazed together). Sanding gives a crisp flat finish
5. This is a reflection of a photo of Old Yeller. When the paint is sanded smooth you get a mirror like finish that has great reflective qualities.
6. This is a reflection of my building. Notice how you can see all the small details of the facade.
7. This picture shows a reflection of a microfiber towel and a jar of P21S. Notice you can even see the small loops in the towel. Also notice the telephone pole and the tree very crisp lines and you can even see the leaves on the tree.

Enjoy the pics
Old 04-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me next...me next..... WOW ! As usual, awesome job ! That looks great.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:39 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great, Mike.

Are those stone chips in the last picture?
Old 04-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great. I was going to ask if those were stone chips too. I looked at my paint as you suggested under florescent light last night. It really does show EVERYTHING! I didn't think there were any stone chips on the hood but it did show up with very small ones.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:44 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Jeff:

DUST!!!!!! I fill all stone cips prior to buffing and use a nib sander to flatten them out. After buffing it and waxing 4 time the static is so bad it will raise the hairs on your arms when you put your arm close to the hood. There are a few sand pit marks that you just can't get out. Nature of the beast. The only way to make it perfect is to paint the hood. It really didn't need to be done that agressively. Like I said for 11 year old paint it came out pretty good. A car is only new once.

Mike
Old 04-18-2006, 02:49 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That will be really great after a wash (to remove the static, etc.).

I installed flourescent lights in my garage for the purpose of seeing all these imperfections. I'm able to remove 99% of mine (including swirl marks, etc.) using Zaino products. Although, I have one area that the PO touched up that has been driving me nuts. I really need to get the nerve up to wet sand that section.......

Just last night I did some spring cleaning to my paint (polishing). I've found that once it is brought back, it isn't too hard to keep up. The next owner of your car will certainly have any easier time, provided they take the time to care for it--as many say, it's not the products, it's the process.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Joe S.

When you are right on top of your car under those flourescent light it can ruin your day. Don't worry about that. I bet there isn't 1 911 owner without chips small or big. You just want to make sure the whole package looks good. Like i said earlier and Blackhorse is no exception. If you don't want chips paint the hood and don't drive the car.

mike
Old 04-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Jeff:

What type of small area did the PO fix? Was it a touch up paint job? I have an easy fix for you that isn't hard to do at all and only takes a few minutes if that is the case.

mike
Old 04-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, I know.

I have the front covered with the stone guard protection film too, which helps. These cars are really magnets for the chips though, even with the film on the rear fenders you can see little white chips higher than the film line. No worries though, as it does look great overall...

Cool, post 911...
Old 04-18-2006, 03:11 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Joe:

You are right. If I wanted a museum piece I would of bought a new one and look at it sitting in the garage, but lets face it our cars are to be driven keep em as nice as possible, but the real enjoyment is driving them. Cleaning them is secondary in my book. When Blackhorse is done it will be driven to dinner and out to horse country a few times before I sell it. If a person sqwaks on a few chips they are a new car buyer but just don't know it yet. Like i said earlier a car is only new once in its lifetime. Any help I can give you just let me know.

Mike
Old 04-18-2006, 03:14 PM
mbpa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome!

I had 4 ships/scratches on the hood (looks like a dog might have jumped onto the hood) that the po touched up pretty badly. I tried wetsanding the touch up paint flat but went right through the clear coat
Also, the touched up areas are too big and still show even when level with the rest of the paint. So, I am looking at respraying the hood now.

After that experience, I am scared to wetsand the whole car, but it sure looks good on yours...
Old 04-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike, one question I was going to ask you was what type of pads are you using on the PC buffer and how often do you change them?

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Arena993
Race Car

mbpa:

Well if you went through the clear the only option is to respray. Not a big deal its not like I haven't gotten thin on a few areas before it just happens. Wet sanding is an aquired skill though not impossible at all. i would suggest trying it out on a daily driver or beater to get your skills sharpened. You can reduce the look of some scratches, but if they are real deep and you want a perfect look a respray is the last option.

Joe:

I use a cutting pad (red) and a polish pad (cream colored). If you go to a Meguiars store they can show you. If you need I'll post pics of them for you.

Mike
Old 04-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Joe:

OOPS. I change them after I buff each time. So if I do a hood the next time I use a new pad. you can wash these in a washer but do not dry them and use a mild liquid detergent.

mike
Old 04-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mike!

Quick Reply: BLACKHORSE - HOOD SHOTS COOL PICS