Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

DC/ MD/ VA/ WV/ PA.....meet in May...UPDATED info

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I will definitely try to be there. Have to check the DE schedule.

Thanks again, David!
Old 04-10-2006, 12:51 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll see you guys on the 7th!
Old 04-10-2006, 01:15 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhicks
Starbucks 11802A Rockville Pike Store - Cafe
11802A Rockville Pike Store, Rockville, MD 20852 United States

This is the one where we meet.....for anybody who knows the area its the one a few hundred feet from the Silver Diner!!!
Know that one as well, See you guys there at 9:30. I may be there a bit early, if anyone wants my phone # PM me.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh wow...I had something scheduled for the 7th, which I just moved a couple days earlier....

But i TOTALLY did not realize the Concours was that day! I thought it was a week earlier! Shoot!!!!!!!

I was asked to be a judge at this concours. I guess they are sick of me entering and being the only 944, and clean too boot. Rennlist drives are ALWAYS the best though!

Hmm...actually...I am leaning towards the Renndrive...I will see what I can work out for myself!
Old 04-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

My plan is to be there with bells on.

(Question - I recently replied to an invitation, stating that I would be there with bells on. After replying, I realized that I really did not have a clue what that means. Can you help me?

Answer - Your native-speaker intuition is certainly operating beautifully; you used the expression absolutely correctly and in absolutely the right circumstance, even if you didn't know what you were saying.

With bells on, in its most common current use, is an informal expression that means 'eagerly; ready to enjoy oneself', and your response was sure to please your host. There's the added connotation that you're not only looking forward to the occasion (usually some sort of party) but that you're all set to contribute to the festivities and add to everyone else's enjoyment. And "I'll be there..." is so often heard preceding the "bells" part that they're virtually inseparable. You did well.

The interesting thing about with bells on is that its use is amazingly restricted. With rare exceptions, it's a frozen, formulaic expression, part of a social ritual, used almost exclusively to respond to an invitation to a festive event. And part of its normal function is to assure your host that you not only plan to attend, but that you're sure it's going to be one swell party.

You've probably never heard anyone talk about "being there with bells on" when asked casually to go to a movie, for example. And I doubt that you'd respond to a letter of acceptance to graduate school at Harvard by saying you'll be there in September with bells on. It simply wouldn't do.

There are special variations, of course. F. Scott Fitzgerald left the final preposition off in his 1922 Beautiful & Damned, where we see, "All-ll-ll righty. I'll be there with bells." And there is an occasional use of with bells on as a more general intensifier, something to add a little punch. A 1930 cite says, "You can have it...with bells on," and one from 1960 reads (rather rudely, I think), "The same to you, with bells on." But mostly, it's party time.

As for origins, various sources postulate a rather vague association between bells and gala gatherings ("rings on her fingers and bells on her toes," and all that). I myself have always thought of the hat worn by the royal fool--the court jester's cap--with its little round, tinkling bells signaling merriment.)

Steve R
Old 04-11-2006, 12:56 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I would be in on a Sunday other than the Mother's Day This would be my first meet
Old 04-11-2006, 01:03 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

It would also be our first Cayman at a local rennlist event i think!
Old 04-11-2006, 01:30 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue S2
It would also be our first Cayman at a local rennlist event i think!
I hope I won't be the only one
Old 04-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Flying toaster... the new info has been updated on the initial post and the definite date is May 7th at 930am at the Starbucks in Rockville on Rockville Pike at Old Georgetown Rd (next to the Silver Diner).

Look forward to meeting you and your car then!

Steve
Old 04-11-2006, 08:41 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Wow.....a Cayman.....look forward to seeing you there......any CGT's .... come on guys/girls lets be havin' you......we should try and get one of every car there....no not every model year...just every car....so 356, 914/6, 911 (oil cooled and water cooled), 912, 928, 944, 924, 968, CGT, Cayman....and yes even a Cayenne !!! So if you know somebody that will fill a gap get them there...lets show the locals a full sweep of p-cars........now who knows how to ensure sunshine!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 08:54 AM
pjb
Advanced

im def going to try to make the meet. might be late for the starbucks meet, but ill shoot for the lunch venue and hopefully make it depeding on where it is
Old 04-11-2006, 09:33 AM
MorganRock
Instructor

so is everyone just doing the starbucks GTG, or would everyone like to do a group drive to the event my club is throwing as well? There will be a Barbeque, Dyno, Raffle, and all the proceeds go to charity...

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/254979-att-n-mid-atlantic-owners-updated-info-on-show.html

there's the thread I have about it on the 928 forums, I have similar threads running in all boards which I'll bump in the next couple days.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:35 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm tentatively in.

I'm usually pretty good at making these things (I think I've only missed one) but with the way my life is right now, I can't say anything certain until we get closer. But barring anything popping up, I'm in!

BB.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:11 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Morgan Rock.....we can all meet at the Starbucks and those going to your event can split with you and anybody else when we leave Starbucks.....I dont think it has been decided yet as to if we will have a drive and lunch or if everybody wants to go to your event.....those with a preference please post.......
Old 04-11-2006, 10:14 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

After further review, the call on the field is overturned. I am most likely out of town that weekend. Although I have one long shot opportunity to be there as I am on "daddy duty" that weekend. Now that the child seat is forward facing, I know it fits, but I need the anchor bolt mod for the back seat. If I can get it in time, I'll be there with my 1 year old.

Quick Reply: DC/ MD/ VA/ WV/ PA.....meet in May...UPDATED info