Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Engine Rebuild - Part XIV (14) - Holy Crap!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Default DIY Engine Rebuild - Part XIV (14) - Holy Crap!

Well I am sure you all followed my "minor" setback in part #13....which was a bit of a letdown let me tell you. But, Porsche DIY'er have to have strong determination (and two elbows in each arm) and so, mustering my energies, here what happened....

First thing is I had to do is decide how to get at the right cam. I had two choices, either drop the engine again or try it in the car. If I dropped the engine I would have to dump all the new oil, disconnect and dump the power steering fluid, all the hoses and electrical connections and so on. I just could not do that and besides I was bored of doing that...so I needed a new challenge. How about setting the timing while the engine IS IN THE CAR? So that is what I did.

I had to support the engine with my megajack and then remove all the stuff off the back of the engine..including the cat, cat mounts, motor mounts, A/C mounts, right top valve covers, air ducting, sheet metal, mufflers, main pulley, belts, cam chain covers etc. I started at 8:00AM and after about 6 hours this is where I was...

Now comes the fiddly crap. I had to remove the chain tensioner and put in my home-made tensioner and then mount the dial gauge. That proved to be the most difficult due to the space...there ain't any! So I backed off the tranny mounts and dropped the engine about 8"..that have me room to work. In this shot I put the main pulley back on because I needed to turn over the engine to do the timing. You can see the dial guage is mounted on the right hand side (facing upwards) on #4 intake valve. The sparkplug is to remove the locking pin...and I have also removed the main cam nut (at 88 ft-lbs). We are ready to time!

A shot of the dial gauge. I measured what I had set the cam to to confirm I had the correct tension on the chain, put the crank at TDC, pulled the pin and rotated the crank 180 degrees, put the pin back in and then checked the timing. I has just a bit out so the adjustment process continued until I had it bang on..

OK Cam timing is set in about 20 minutes. Then it took another 7 hours to take off all the testing gear, put it all back together again, fix a broken bolt on the exhaust, and get back to this postion..

Again, I am in the car and by friend James has the white overalls on....

** Sorry if this video is a bit big...I did not have the time to get fancy and compress it.... **

Click here to find out what happens to Mike's engine...this video is the first crank after reassembly...
Old 04-03-2006, 09:10 PM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh how I wish I could have stayed to see that final start.

Again, congrats Mike!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by C4S_fan
Oh how I wish I could have stayed to see that final start.

Again, congrats Mike!
I wished you could of too...but it sure too longer than we first thought eh? Definitely many thanks for the all the help though!!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-03-2006, 09:13 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome, Mike!

I have to say, I felt like your daughter (?) with the two thumbs up after seeing you start it.

Couldn't be happier for you.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats and thank you for the detailed step by step rebuild!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:20 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

AWESOME~!!

I feel like someone's baby was just born.

Congratulations!!!

Cigars anyone?

Old 04-03-2006, 09:24 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been the best DIY I've ever seen online. Amazing pictures, explanations, and innovative solutions to snags along the way - Really fun to watch, great job Mike!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOOOOT!

you made it look so easy!

She sure did fire up quick too!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ok, some more pictures now that you are past the video.

Here is a nice shot of the engine running...do you like the way I bundled up the A/C unit so it does not scratch anything? (notice the rusty targa top...)

Not a leak to be found (so far)....

OK, after 20 minutes an immediate total oil dump and filter change. I don't know if you can see the little brass like specs in the oil...that is all the breakin materials generated while all the new surfaces are "melding" to each other. Dropped a total of 10 litres right after the video...

Well the rest of the story is kindof fun....I changed the oil after the 20 minute run-in and then proceeded to have a late dinner. After dinner I planned to "retire" back to the shop to put in the all the drivetrain and test drive the car. I get back to the shop and **poof* all the light go out. Turns out a tree fell on a power line up the street and our block was without power. I took it as a sign from the Porsche gods, went back to the house, took a shower via candlelight, and went to bed...

Next evening I put in the drivshafts, links, sways, and wheels and this is a shot as the car is ready for its first road test..

Thee months of gunge on the car...it does not matter much since the car will be heading down to the body shop shortly...

On the road late at night...put about 120km on the car at various speeds and loads, keeping it under 5000rpm. Pulls like a champ and no problems or leaks. I did get freaked out once though... I pulled over to checkout the car and a mechanical clicking noise was coming from the underside...immediately it came to mind "shoot did I forget that clip for the wrist pin?" , or "are the rod bolts holding. I freaked until I remembered the stories about the RS clutches and the rattlling trannies...sure enough I put in the clutch and all I heard is nice engine noises!

Second oil change after 120km (about 90 miles). Still some small metal flakes but the oil is less dark since all that breakin lube is now flushed out. Did another full change wilth filters...

And finally the destination the next morning...

Next steps are to get the whole back end of the car painted as well as the new top and then gluing it down...I am deeply involved so it will be another DIY series.

I have to thank the list for all the support...its been neat to keep posting my progress and what is happening. I really appreciate it!

Oh, one last thing. No this is not doctored but here is the mileage when the car had the engine rebuilt...I did not notice this until I took the shot!!

Old 04-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Awesome, Mike!

I have to say, I felt like your daughter (?) with the two thumbs up after seeing you start it.

Couldn't be happier for you.
Yes, that is my younger on Sydney (11). She is more mechanically inclined than her older sister Shannon(14) and spends time in the shop with me. Great kids althought they have been complaining about not seeing me lately...wonder why?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-03-2006, 09:39 PM
zffnhsn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome!!! U da Man!!!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:47 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hurry up and put the wheels back on! I wanna see the video of you driving it. You should have shot the video from start to finsh and made it into a mini series, like a reality show for Speed Vision!
It was great stuff Mike and thank you for sharing all the wisdom~Chris
Old 04-03-2006, 09:51 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Again I say I would never undertake what you have, so all I can say is

Bravo Mike ...... a couple cold ones for ya.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by c993k
Hurry up and put the wheels back on! I wanna see the video of you driving it. You should have shot the video from start to finsh and made it into a mini series, like a reality show for Speed Vision!
It was great stuff Mike and thank you for sharing all the wisdom~Chris
In retrospec that would have been very neat...and I have a good camcorder an all...maybe the next one... ;-)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-03-2006, 10:08 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just redo it.

Quick Reply: DIY Engine Rebuild - Part XIV (14) - Holy Crap!