Sponsored by:

Do you use the valet??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 04:38 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you use the valet??

Do you trust your baby to the valet of the world? Sorry if it's a repeat search was inconclusive.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:43 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Would you trust a stranger to babysit your ten year old daughter?
Old 03-21-2006, 04:51 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nine herr 993c2cab, I barely let my wife behind the wheel and she sleeps with me!
Then again.........we just got the lingerie clad valet hotties downtown so you never know...........
ZP44
Old 03-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Brave Heart
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you not seen Ferris Bueler's day off !!
Old 03-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh man, I let the valet park my car in this Hollywood hot spot. I figured they probably get 911s, F cars etc. all the time. Plus its impossible to find parking around there. It was brutal. The kid stalled my car at least three times. Finally I walk back down to the valet area to see what's going on. A more "senior" valet tells me the kid is new and hops in my car, rides the clutch a bit, and takes my car away to be parked.

Never again!
Old 03-21-2006, 05:01 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Never.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:04 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 268 Posts

Of course I valet it - if needed. Life's too short to worry about such things!
Old 03-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Racer944
Racer

Nope... not that we have much valet parking up here anyway.

Whenever I'm in that sitation though I request that I be allowed to park my car right out front... I have never been turned down as of yet, and I always ensure I give a good tip as well.

Eric

P.S. Doesn't anyone remember the original 993 commercial featuring the 993 Cup car, the valet boys and the slurpee?? It was priceless... It showed flashes of a racing 993 in Europe on the tracks and also showing a street version arriving at a restaurant remarking that some cars were destined for a more quieter life in North American (this is where the valet boys come in...). Narrated by Patrick Stewart of course...
Old 03-21-2006, 05:10 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Full Disclosure (don't hate me, I'm grown up now...sort of):

In college, I used to be a valet. Don't trust 'em.

Our parking lot had an entrance on one side and an exit on the other. When we would take the car to presumably park it, we would often exit the lot (out of sight of the owner) and put the car through its paces. We have a 1/4 mile set up to "test" cars.

I remember one time we got a brand new Lotus Espirit Turbo (still had the sticker on the window) that we showed no mercy to. However, the ~last~ time I ever took a car out was a Volvo turbo (5 spd). Earlier that evening it was raining and as the Sun went down the road got slippery. As I was on the 1/4 mile, all of a sudden the speedometer raced up, the tach raced up, and the rear end started breaking free. I was sliding toward the edge of the roadway that dropped down into a snow covered field. I thought I was headed there. Fortunately, the car caught itself and I kept it on the road. ... That was the last time I took a car out. The image of having to tell the owner that his car was stuck in the snow on the side of the road down the street scared me into partial maturity.

Kids are crazy. Don't let them drive your car.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:25 PM
rkass
Racer

No way. I got into a pretty good argument with some 19 yr old telling me either valet it (let him drive it) or go away. I parked the car right in front of the restaraunt, talked with the manager and had a wonderful meal on them. The look on that @@sholes face when I left was priceless.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:43 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

It depends on the parking situation. I try to park it myself but in certain neighborhoods, Beverly Hills comes to mind, There is no way. A 5 or 10 to the Jockey helps keep it up front. I am a big guy who is not afraid of a little intimadation to the Jockey. At some of the private clubs in Los Angeles you have no choice but they understand it is their *** if anything goes wrong.

I always look around the car before I leave and I encourage the Jockey to take a look before so he can see it is clean and no dents before.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:56 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Simple... MY 993 NO , My wifes' Lexus sure .
Old 03-21-2006, 06:00 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

No way.

Jeff's admission would be the reason.

Andreas
Old 03-21-2006, 06:05 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

I always let the valet park my TT at theis certain Bev Hills restaurant because the lot was right across the street and highly visible. When I came out that night I paid them and went and got it myself as they were busy. The sunroof was partially open and the glove box was down. I didn't think much of it until the next morning when I opened the door and someone had obviously tried to steal it. Door and ignition locks popped, and it caught fire when they tried to bi-pass my cut-off switch. Then I remembered that the registration was just lying there opened in the glove box with my address....
Old 03-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you guys in NYC do? Since most indoor parking are parked by the attendant do you guys usually slip them a $5er or $10er in the beginning to park it yourself or leave it in the front and then give them another tip when you leave? If so, do they usually oblige?

For me, depending on where in the city I will be parking I either park it on the street (pick my spot very carefully) or don't drive the 993 at all.

Quick Reply: Do you use the valet??