Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anyone ever do their own door ding removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 04:01 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone ever do their own door ding removal?

I have a little dinger (not to be taken out of context please...LOL!)
As I was saying......door ding, where else? On passenger side door. May try posting a pick later tonight. If its not a super big dent is a DIY too difficult to tackle? The dent is about mid-way between the front and rear of the door about mid-way between the bottom and the window. I think it may require pulling alot of stuff apart to get in there. A shop that does this stuff says they would drill a hole in the door jam area of the door to gain access. I don't want any drilling done if I can avoid it and I don't want someone pulling stuff apart and possibly breaking any door panel parts that may lead to rattles etc. later on.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:40 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Take apart the inside door panel yourself, then take it to a pro to do the body work. I sure wouldn't drill the door jam.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:59 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 232 Posts

I second Joe's thought.

Andreas
Old 03-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried it once on a ding on the hood of my BMW, wouldn't think about experimenting something like this on my p-car..

The results were terrible.

I had a huge dent on the door of my 993 once, backed into by my boss' MBZ G-wagon. The dent removal guys were able to take out the dent (about 15" across) without a trace. Amazing!!!!
Old 03-15-2006, 05:11 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 232 Posts

Robin,
How does one know that the person dispatched to repair a dent on your car is knowledgable?

I'm sure there are true artists as well as boneheads circulating in this profession.

Andreas
Old 03-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, you don't. It is the same as going to a Chinese resturant with a "C" health rating, you don't know if you are going to get sick, but it's damn good. :P

But seriously, when I selected my dent removal shop I called around and then spoke with the owner and asked them how long they have been in biz and etc... And only picked the shop that I was comfortable with.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:20 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How does one know that the person dispatched to repair a dent on your car is knowledgable?
I'm sure there are true artists as well as boneheads circulating in this profession.
You're right Andreas...there are plenty of folks who don't know what they are doing that work for several dent companies. Key is to find someone who has been around for a long time and you have references on. You can easily pull out a dent too far or screw something up completely. I have a guy I've used in the DC/MD/VA area that has over 20 years experience.

No way I would try to pull a dent on my own.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I went down to the local Porsche dealer and asked who they use. He was kind of expensive but very good. He even found two small dents I hadn't seen.

Greg H.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Well, you don't. It is the same as going to a Chinese resturant with a "C" health rating, you don't know if you are going to get sick, but it's damn good. :P
LOL. You must be talking about Sam Woos?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely want to stay away from the Bozos who drill holes! One way to find the best guys is to check with the places that deal in the resale of hi-line cars. Those in my area have experts who stop at their dealerships almost weekly in the busy seasons. Other than that, it is all word-of-mouth advertising.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:53 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also look for people who do high-end restorations (e.g. on 356s and other old cars). Local guy here is awesome. Have never had to use him for my pcar, but when my S200 had a dent (don't ask) and chip in the paint, he did an unbelievable job. Artist. I would like to learn.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:14 PM
tbil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think Im pretty good at detail work but wouldn't attempt this myself. Would need to practice for a while with various tools and dents on metal to get it right.

Watched the guy take a small dinger out of my car not too long ago. Used a special tool that had just the right bends to get to the back of the dent. Used an access hole no bigger than a quarter. Then very gently pushed it up, little by little. Worked on it for about an hour. Only cost $100. Guy I used advertises in the local Porsche Club mag. You might find something in your area who knows Pcars.

Posted some pics with before and after if you want to do a search. (can't figure out how to post a link) "awsome experience with paintless dent removal"

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:01 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Good advice as always! Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Anyone ever do their own door ding removal?