Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Corvette Z06 or Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 05:36 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"cool" You can't compare Apples and Oranges. I think they R nice and are the original all American made Sportscar (Dodge Viper would be my choice if buying an American Sportscar)! BTW, I dusted a Zo6 Cab. last year on the freeway with my 993 C2 Cab. LOL - you should have seen the driver's face as I left him behind (mine is tweaked to produce an unassuming 370 HP)!
Old 03-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ljugete
"cool" You can't compare Apples and Oranges. I think they R nice and are the original all American made Sportscar (Dodge Viper would be my choice if buying an American Sportscar)! BTW, I dusted a Zo6 Cab. last year on the freeway with my 993 C2 Cab. LOL - you should have seen the driver's face as I left him behind (mine is tweaked to produce an unassuming 370 HP)!
I didn't know there was such a thing as a Z06 cab.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no comparison between a Z06 and a 9XX of any flavor.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:59 AM
sptschoice
Pro

how about a z06 vs a gt2
Old 03-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 554 Posts

Well, the original question was a third party asking for help to dissuade someone else from buying a Corvette.

The bottom line is, we shouldn't force our opinion on what to buy when the actual buyer never asked for that opinion.

Originally Posted by pcar964
We're not trying to determine a strict "bang per buck" here, but rather just a comparison between sportscars. The Vette outperforms the Pcar, and the fact that it costs less has nothing to do with it.

And by the way, I predict the Z06 will hold its value better than a 997S.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

My wife and I are looking for a fourth "people/dog" mover to replace her Toyota Matrix. I thought the new HHR (mini suburban) looked interesting so we went to a local Chevrolet dealership and drove the HHR.

While there I looked over a C6 convertible, Blue with a grey interior. While I didn't drive the C6 I was impressed with the paint and interior quality. The car was stunning, IMHO. We drove my 05 GT3 to the chevy store and I couldn't believe the number of people flocking around my GT. Even the dealer/principal came out and told me how nice my car is. 5 or 6 salespeople and several prospective chevy customers were standing around complementing my GT3.

Really made my day
Old 03-12-2006, 12:05 PM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

There is no comparison between a Z06 and a 9XX of any flavor.
Hmmmmm.......
You'd get some fairly strong disagreements on that statement Tour18.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:06 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

1) No such thing as a Z06 cab

2) No such thing as a 370bhp 993 (unless you've been to Ninemeister)
Old 03-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Reynard38
Pro

Talking

Haven't been in a new Z06 yet, but I did drive the C5 version. Will it outrun my 993? Absolutely! Would I want it? No. I really didn't like the feel of the car. The steering was vague and lifeless when compared to my '97 2S.
Big HP and Torque are like big hair and big ****. Fun for a while, but there had better be some brains and character if you are looking for a long term relationship.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:03 PM
sonny1
Banned

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
I think this is a no win discussion, there never was.

Basically we are talking about a box with 4 wheels, and an out dated internal combustion device that pushes those 4 wheels forward, each does it's own thing is their own way.

I still remember way back when I first started turning wrenches in a mechanics class, and it was all on Chevys. That was what they used in school to teach us everything about cars. I still remember very clearly that I was a die hard Chevy fan, love everything about the car, thought that was the best thing there was. Wouldn't even look at another brand of car, thought they were all junk... Even bought a Corvette badge just to stare at it as it was my dream to own a Corvette. My uncle had a 69 427 Vette at the time, which was a dream come true for me to ride it once in a while. At that time I had a 82 Chevy Monte Carlo, a coupe! Which I thought was the coolest car around for my age, that was before the hydraulic low riders days. My coolest mod were a fake flashing LED on the dash to fool thieves that the car had an alarm.

And then I got a job at a Toyota dealership as an entry level PADI, tune up mechanic... and then I became a Toyota fan.. everything was junk to me, I couldn't believe how stupid Chevy designed their cars and how difficult it was to work on. Sold my Monte and bought only Toyotas after that. Had a 82 Celica GTS, 84 Celica GTS, 82 Supra, 86 MR-2 (my version of a little Farrari, Magnum PI days.......) was totally hooked on installing HKS products on my Supra.. until it was stolen...was the most popular car among car thieves then.

Money was short, so I went to Hondas, was the CRX era. Mugen, Jackson racing parts was the favor of the party... Lowering, cams, exhaust... the whole 9 yard. At that time I felt Hondas were designed better than Toyotas.... So I was hooked on Hondas

For some weird reason I progressed into Mercedes, I think it was my job at the time, suit and tie early days of the technology business.. My first German car was an 88 260E, and then I thought that was the best car in the world, it handled semi good and gave me a bank vault solid feeling, interior was nice and tight. Occasional air bag warning light and power window don't work issues, and bad valve stem seals.. but still a good car and I thought man! this is the best car in the world.

After several mercedes, 94 E320, 96 SL320, 93 300TE 4 MATIC, all problematic I swear I will never buy another MB again.

And then it was the BMW 3 series and the PORSCHE 911!!!!!

That basically ruined me for life. Now there is nothing on the road that satisfy me like a 911, I love turning wrenches on a 911, no matter how stupid the design was or how long it takes me to get a spark plug out. I don't care how much horse power the other pocket rocket have, I still think my 911 is the fastest on the road. I like the under dog feeling, doing more with less cylinders I guess. I like being seen driving my 911, arriving at any designation getting out of the car with my jeans and "holely" t-shirt. I want to be known as a die hard 911 fan, I want to be seen under my car with greasy hair and fingers, I like how it sits on jack stands with everything taken apart.

Sorry for the run on story.

After all these years messing with cars, and owning different ones. At the end of the day it is the passion you have for your box on 4 wheels that counts. So how do you really feel about your car?
As Barry will say,"We are all car crazy people", cheers, Sonny.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 554 Posts

I test drove an HHR a few weeks ago. The acronym HHR actually stands for Horribly Heinous Ride!

The most striking thing I found with the drive was that the visibility was about the same as looking through a PVC drain pipe. The A pillars were modeled after the legs of elephants with a bad case of edema. I found I had to constantly move my head side to side to see past all of the blind spots, which were everywhere I tried to look. A solitary confinement jail cell has more window than the HHR.

However, I would wait until next year. I have heard rumor that next year's model has the optional Jo-Jantzen peril sensitive windshield. In the event of an accident, just before impact, the glass goes total black.

When I first turned the key I had to double check with the tach and wind down the window to confirm it had started. It was so quite.

I took a look at the new Corvettes. They are a big car. Very nice, but not sure I would like one because I have always liked small sports cars. If it was 80% the size I might give it some serious thought.

Originally Posted by Larry Harris
My wife and I are looking for a fourth "people/dog" mover to replace her Toyota Matrix. I thought the new HHR (mini suburban) looked interesting so we went to a local Chevrolet dealership and drove the HHR.

While there I looked over a C6 convertible, Blue with a grey interior. While I didn't drive the C6 I was impressed with the paint and interior quality. The car was stunning, IMHO. We drove my 05 GT3 to the chevy store and I couldn't believe the number of people flocking around my GT. Even the dealer/principal came out and told me how nice my car is. 5 or 6 salespeople and several prospective chevy customers were standing around complementing my GT3.

Really made my day
Old 03-12-2006, 10:22 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Reynard38
Haven't been in a new Z06 yet, but I did drive the C5 version. Will it outrun my 993? Absolutely! Would I want it? No. I really didn't like the feel of the car. The steering was vague and lifeless when compared to my '97 2S.
Big HP and Torque are like big hair and big ****. Fun for a while, but there had better be some brains and character if you are looking for a long term relationship.

Well said.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:50 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Hey P-Car, U ever heard of supercharging (Dyno. registered @ 370 hp)?

The Z06 I saw was a metalic blue convertible (true, it could have been a modified C5 (incl. front C6 headlights). Didn't stay too close to look it over = behind me all the time on that trip.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:23 AM
SwayBar
Race Car

Received 317 Likes on 217 Posts

Hey P-Car, U ever heard of supercharging (Dyno. registered @ 370 hp)?
Nice numbers; how much boost are you running?

The Z06 I saw was a metalic blue convertible (true, it could have been a modified C5 (incl. front C6 headlights).
There is no such thing as convertible Z06 as they are all hard-tops. Based upon your description, it was more than likely a C6 convertible.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:57 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by SwayBar
There is no such thing as convertible Z06 as they are all hard-tops. Based upon your description, it was more than likely a C6 convertible.
I cannot remember the company name who made a few Z06 spec C5's out of convertibles. Not "factory" Z06's, but they have all the same upgrades. Might have been one of those.

Quick Reply: Corvette Z06 or Porsche