993 Forum 1995-1998

~~DIY Suspension Install for Dummies~~~

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 08:08 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff - in your good write up, you mentioned this tip:

TIP: If you are using the Bilstein HD shocks and the Porsche M030 ROW springs and you want to generally achieve the ROW Standard or Sport ride height, you can position the LOWER lock collar such that the BOTTOM edge thereof is about 63mm from the top edge of the mounting bracket. This will get you very close to the ROW settings, especially within the +/- 10mm tolerance.

so for the fronts, if I want to see the ride height at the sport setting of 144mm, I should measure 68mm from the top edge (5mm down on the shock will get you 10mm of ride heigth)? Yes?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:37 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Update

Oh Man! This thing is awesome.

I just got my car back from the alignment shop this morning and had the opportunity to drive it for about 60 miles or so. All I can say is I am very happy with the install setup. I had the shop align it to RS specs, but I increased the front and rear camber a bit more than called for (front 1.5 degrees; rear 1.8 degree). The final numbers were:

Front:
Camber = 1.5 degrees
Caster = 5.3 degrees
Toe = 0.04 degrees

Rear:
Camber = 1.8 degrees
Toe = 0.30 degrees

Kinematic toe within about 1 bubble unit

With these settings, the car is very planted on the road--both at high speed straightaway and in the corners. The ride compliance is very nice also--certainly not as rigid as the PSS9's, but a marked improvement over my 27,000 mile stock suspension. I couldn't be happier!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:50 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wooh friggin' hoo!

**EVERYONE** who has gotten rid of the stock Monroe's -- and gone the 'new suspension-way' (_especially_ the 'Bilstein-HD-M030-way') has said that the car is, literally, 'transformed'.

Now YOU know it to be true too!

This is why, I too, when I saw this GROUP BUY -- and the GREAT DEAL that Bob (Hi Bob!) had gotten for us -- I just could NOT turn it down!!! (I _also_ went for option 3 ...like you!).

I have NO doubt, that as more of us 'morph' our cars over to the new suspension -- that you are going to see more and more of us 'waxing poetic'.

What makes YOUR particular experience that more fulfilling ...is that you did it YOURSELF !!!

Kudos!

Gerry
Old 03-29-2006, 11:25 PM
Brave Heart
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Oh Man! This thing is awesome.

I just got my car back from the alignment shop this morning and had the opportunity to drive it for about 60 miles or so. All I can say is I am very happy with the install setup. I had the shop align it to RS specs, but I increased the front and rear camber a bit more than called for (front 1.5 degrees; rear 1.8 degree). The final numbers were:

Front:
Camber = 1.5 degrees
Caster = 5.3 degrees
Toe = 0.04 degrees

Rear:
Camber = 1.8 degrees
Toe = 0.30 degrees

Kinematic toe within about 1 bubble unit

With these settings, the car is very planted on the road--both at high speed straightaway and in the corners. The ride compliance is very nice also--certainly not as rigid as the PSS9's, but a marked improvement over my 27,000 mile stock suspension. I couldn't be happier!

You've put a lot of effort into this -- Glad its feeling good for you !
Old 03-30-2006, 01:33 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeff

This is unbelievable work! I am sorry if the answer to my question is obvious but did you get the HDs from Gert the extra lowering or the US issue. The reason I ask is because last year I did the M030 with the HDs and the sways but I unfortunately did the US issue HDs. Currently I have the front set all the way down and I am looking for Viper Bob to find out the correct ride height for the back. I am also planning on an alignment and was going to go with the RS but your values look a little more aggressive which I like.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:27 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by agdamis
Jeff

This is unbelievable work! I am sorry if the answer to my question is obvious but did you get the HDs from Gert the extra lowering or the US issue. The reason I ask is because last year I did the M030 with the HDs and the sways but I unfortunately did the US issue HDs. Currently I have the front set all the way down and I am looking for Viper Bob to find out the correct ride height for the back. I am also planning on an alignment and was going to go with the RS but your values look a little more aggressive which I like.
AG -

Well, to answer your question, it is a little bit of both. The parts that I installed were from the Suspension Group Buy that I organized, which included US Bilstein HD shocks from Viper Bob. However, nowadays, all US Bilstein HD shocks come with the 30mm extra thread. The benefit to buying them in the US is that you also get the lifetime US warranty--so you get the best of both worlds.

I'm really enjoying these alignment settings. The car is very stable and I also like the more agreesive stance resulting from the increased camber.

BTW, what are you doing with the ride height? If you do not intend to make any changes up front (i.e. having addition threads machines or using some kind of offset spring perch), you should be able to figure out the correct rear ride height based on maintain the same relation between front and rear as used on ROW Sport or RS setups (those numbers are in the first post of this thread). Let me know if I can help.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:33 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Well, to answer your question, it is a little bit of both. The parts that I installed were from the Suspension Group Buy that I organized, which included US Bilstein HD shocks from Viper Bob. However, nowadays, all US Bilstein HD shocks come with the 30mm extra thread. The benefit to buying them in the US is that you also get the lifetime US warranty--so you get the best of both worlds.
Jeff,

There are still quantities of the older non-exteneded length thread shocks out there in distributors inventories (VE3-4692-HO and VE3-4693-H0). Most folks still do not even know that these new ones exist, so you have to be careful in what you are buying.....
Old 03-30-2006, 02:39 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Yeah unfortunately I do not have the lowering ones. VIPER BOB!!! If my fronts are lowered all the way with the old US set up what is the correct measurment for the back????
Old 03-30-2006, 02:39 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by viperbob
Jeff,

There are still quantities of the older non-exteneded length thread shocks out there in distributors inventories (VE3-4692-HO and VE3-4693-H0). Most folks still do not even know that these new ones exist, so you have to be careful in what you are buying.....
Apparently, those other distributors/supply stores don't turn over as much inventory as you.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:41 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Yeah unfortunately I do not have the lowering ones. VIPER BOB!!! If my fronts are lowered all the way with the old US set up what is the correct measurment for the back????
AG, what are the current measurements for the front (at the Porsche reference points)?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:49 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

i have no idea my friend. I just lowered those bad boys as far as they would could.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:58 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

AG -

In order to properly set the rears, you will need to measure the fronts.

In my case, I ended up adjusting my fronts (after installation) to obtain the correct "profile" from front to rear. Basically, I initially had the following ride height:

Front 123mm, Rear 111mm

The specs state:

ROW Sport: Front 144mm, Rear 127mm
Carrera RS: Front 124mm, Rear 107mm

Therefore, in my case, since the rears are harder to adjust and require partial disassembly, I kept the rears at 111mm (which is about 4mm higher than RS specs) and adjusted the fronts from 123mm (1mm below specs) to 128mm (4mm higher than RS specs). This got me the correct relative heights front to rear.

In your case, you will need to measure the fronts and add/substract the same difference to calculate the rear ride height.

Did that make sense?
Old 03-30-2006, 03:00 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

If you have the older non extended thread unit, then use 205mm as the height of the spring perch in the rear as measured from the center of the lower mounting point. Essentially, the spring perch will be at the very top of the threads in the rear.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:22 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Currently I am at the lowest point of the threading in the front and I am a little below the very top of the threading in the rear. So If I am understanding you correct I am pretty close to being correct. Is it worth taking everything apart back there to get it perfect, or should just go align it?
Old 03-30-2006, 06:22 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

That is the best you are going to do. The only other thing you can do is to remove the lock ring under the front spring seat. This will lower the front almost another 1/2". Just snug ut down to the bottom of the threads and you will be fine... No worries on the spring moving the seat.

Quick Reply: ~~DIY Suspension Install for Dummies~~~