Sponsored by:

~~DIY Suspension Install for Dummies~~~

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:50 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS

Finally, how far can I safely drive it prior to align, corner balance, camber adjustment, all that? I don't want to futz with the setup but am considering installation.

Depends on how much tire you want to eat. I drove a month.... Approx 500 miles before getting my alignment. Although it would be better to have it done immediately
Old 01-28-2011, 10:22 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know how the JICs work. Here is what I did with the Pss10s prior to driving the car to the alignment shop.

I set both front wheels at max negative camber. (easy to do!)

For the rear camber: I put the adjustment bolts back to where they were prior to install. Both sides were in the same position in my case.

As far as height: since the ground on my driveway is uneven, I knew I could never get anything right by measuring from the ground to the appropriate suspension points, so I just worried about the position of the two locking collars on each shock assemblies during installation. I put all of them exactly in the middle of the Bilstein's suggested adjustment range, and made sure the driver and passenger side measurements were identical (for front and rear respectively).
(Bilstein's adjustment range is not measured from the ground, but from a specific point on each shock)

Unless you are on level ground, and on scales, don't worry too much for now... The shop will take care of the rest (if they know what they are doing!!!!).

Good Luck!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
So...A) thanks for this writeup, and B) I'm a little confused on setting the ride height.

I get that the rear requires setting prior to installation, but how do you know where to set it?

If the car is already lowered, and I'm swapping out suspension, can I just set the JICs so that the perch is the same level as on the PSS9s? Is it trial and error? Confused on that.

Also, when measuring the ride height from the appropriate suspension point, does it matter how level the car is? If slightly unlevel will it load the suspension unevenly? How important is perfect tire pressure then?

Finally, how far can I safely drive it prior to align, corner balance, camber adjustment, all that? I don't want to futz with the setup but am considering installation.
JICs are a bi-tube shock. totally differnet from PSS9s. Unlike PSS9s you do NOT lossen or tighten the spring perch to set ride height. The entire shock is rotated relative to the lower mount to change height. So in many ways easier to adjust unweighted compared to PSS9s. If you set overall uninstalled height of shock to that of PSS9 you will be in ballpark for JIC. Since I am sure the JICs have stiffer spring than the PSS9s it will not lower as much when weighted. So rest is trial and error.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:11 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Here is the support documentation for the JIC's.
http://www.jic-magic.com/SupportDocumentation.aspx
This should have come printed with your shocks in a little baggy along with the wrenches.
I have never done this before but it seems like the tube won't be very easy to "spin" like it says to do in the instructions. The front struts will likely rotate nicely around the upper monoball but the rear shocks seem like the spring will need to drag along the upper aluminum plate. Mine are still sitting in their box so I am just guessing right now.
If anyone here has adjusted their ride height with JIC's, was it difficult or fairly easy?
Old 01-29-2011, 09:31 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If anyone here has adjusted their ride height with JIC's, was it difficult or fairly easy?

Dying to hear...

So rest is trial and error.
As in multiple install attempts to get it right? I don't relish taking things apart again to take another stab at the ride height?

This should have come printed with your shocks in a little baggy along with the wrenches.
It may. They haven't been shipped yet.

EDIT: Just read the above link. So it seems that the JICs allow for ride height adjustment after install? Is this true on a 993? The installation instructions at the beginning of the thread indicate that isn't possible?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:10 PM
baron95993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great deal thanks
Old 03-01-2011, 08:06 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So one Q on the DIY...

The steps with the Hazet tool...that seems to be only if you are going to take the entire shock/spring assembly apart? Since I'm not using any of the PSS9 on there and replacing with the JIC, it seems I can skip this step and therefore don't need the special Hazet/O2 sensor/dremelled socket?

Am I reading this right?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If doing the JICs you do not need the Hazet or similar tool... You are replacing the upper mount with the monoball unit that comes with the JIC.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:03 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Right,
Just drop the whole mess down by removing the four screws with a 13mm socket and an extension. Place a jack under the control arm and apply a very slight pressure to hold the struts in place, then pull all the bolts out and lower the coil/strut assembly with the control arm.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:00 AM
zero9nine
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this thread today and will use it to remove my shocks and install new springs on my 964.

I was recently warned that the shock will be under a lot of load/pressure and that I may need a spring compressor to relieve the load. Is this the case? The initial instructions make no mention of it. What about the rears???

I was under the impression that the pressure is off for the most part because the shock is fully extended.

Can someone clarify this before I potentially hurt myself :-)

Thanks
John
Old 03-10-2011, 11:18 AM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

There is some load, but I did not need or use a spring compressor to take mine apart - it will "pop" apart but not enough that I thought it was a danger. I did need to compress the spring to put the coilover back together, though. So, I guess since you are going to need a spring compressor, you can use it when disassembling the coilover just to be on the safe side, but it is not going to spring apart and send parts flying everywhere.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:15 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

After the car is on jackstands safely you can place a small floor jack underneath the control arm to apply pressure on the coil spring. I usually lift the control arm about half an inch from it's natural resting place. Use an impact gun to pull the 21mm bolt off the top hat then slowly lower the jack and the coil springs pressure will be relieved gradually. Mine weren't under any pressure whatsoever, but this method will keep stuff from shooting across the garage just in case
Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No real dangers...just take your time
Old 03-29-2011, 03:37 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zero9nine
I found this thread today and will use it to remove my shocks and install new springs on my 964.

I was recently warned that the shock will be under a lot of load/pressure and that I may need a spring compressor to relieve the load. Is this the case? The initial instructions make no mention of it. What about the rears???

I was under the impression that the pressure is off for the most part because the shock is fully extended.

Can someone clarify this before I potentially hurt myself :-)

Thanks
John
As mentioned, there shouldn't be a real issue. Although I too was warned about this prior to doing mine (nearly 5 years ago), and I make mention of it in this DIY, for the most part it is more of a small and controllable "pop" than anything big enough to hurt you.

At least this was the case for my 1996 with its 10 year old original suspension.

Glad to see that this DIY is still paying dividends!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff,
Fantastic post,
I used your DIY a month ago, to replace my shocks with PSS10's and all went smoothly.
Could not of done the job so quickly without your post.
It took about 4 hours to do all 4 corners.

Thanks,
Neil

Quick Reply: ~~DIY Suspension Install for Dummies~~~