factory RS tail ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts
Default factory RS tail ?

I am finally getting around to mounting my factory RS tail but have a couple of issues to deal w/
1)the leading edge where the f/g and steel meet is a perfect fit but the trailing edge is proud of the steel lid, it appears that if I grind down the f/g mounting bosses the tail will sit more deeply into the steel lid recess, any one else w/ experience in this regard? Is there a gasket that goes in between the f/g and steel? parts book does not show one, am I missing something ? On my '76 Carrera tthere is a gasket and I have a '93 Turbo here that also has a gasket.

2) the grill is the same as for the moveable tail, but there is no immediately obvious method of attaching it short of gluing it down, this doesn't sound right? Again am I missing something here?

HELP
Old 03-09-2006, 07:40 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bill,
I was just discussing this tail with Steve Weiner, who appears to be very familiar with it. Might give him a try at : porsche@rennsportsystems.com
By the way, thanks for the Ruf spoiler advice.
Nick
Old 03-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Bill:

1.) When I did the RS tail, to make it fit the best I had to remove the mounting back nuts in the grill recess of the decklid that hold the moveable spoiler. With these nuts removed, the RS tail fit snugly into the grill recess. There is no gasket per the parts catalog.

2.) The grill is the same.

Enjoy the addition !
Old 03-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I did the RS tail, to make it fit the best I had to remove the mounting back nuts in the grill recess of the decklid that hold the moveable spoiler.
Yes, the nuts on the side, I did remove them, but the f/g still sits proud at the rear. The f/g bosses are sitting on the steel flange, Hard to believe that grinding the f/g mounting boss is part of the procedure, but that appears to be the case.

Yes, I agree the grill is the same part #, but did you just glue it down? The moveable grill is held in place by10 plastic studs w/ snap rings on the back side. It appears that the grill mounting studs need to be snipped to get it to lie flush.
Attached Images   
Old 03-10-2006, 01:25 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Bill:

Can you post a pix of the grill pocket on your decklid. I'd like to see that we are talking the same nuts on the decklid...

Also, the grill pegs had push on keepers that look like a zimmerman nut. Use once type devices.

Is your RS piece a factory urethane part or clone fiberglass??? J/K
Old 03-10-2006, 02:16 PM
kahuna
Advanced

I would be interested in this as well, I am torn between buying oem parts which are very expensive, but should bolt togther nicely, or saving a few bucks on aftermarket stuff which usually needs a lot of fitting.

Billl, are you sure you have correct factory parts?

Did you get the side skirts and front splitters too? How do they fit?
Old 03-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm scratching my head on this one but I guess this is the way it needs to be done.

Yes, all correct factory parts, The raw spoiler has raised bosses that need to be ground down for the final fitment, I can only speculate that this is due to tolerance issue w/ plastic parts.

here is the raw spoiler, you can see the raised mounting bosses that are pre drilled for the self tapping mounting screws.

The bosses on the sides and rear needed to be groound flush w/ the rest of the spoiler base

It's sortta hard to see but after the side and rear were ground down the spoiler snugs up and fits perfectly.

The grill is another matter,

here you can just make out the studs both before and after mounting, the 10 brass clips hold it down.

Here is the grill mounting face, there is no access at the back for the clips, so It needs to be drilled for the studs and then the grill needs to be glued down.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

P.S all in all this was just a tad easierand better fitting than the Shaw spoiler I used on my other car.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
...Yes, I agree the grill is the same part #, but did you just glue it down? The moveable grill is held in place by10 plastic studs w/ snap rings on the back side. It appears that the grill mounting studs need to be snipped to get it to lie flush.
I had holes in my tail (is not factory piece) and I used clips as what stock grille has plus some glue.

If I was you, I'd drill the holes at least for few of them (doing it symmetrically) and then using some proper (=strong) glue.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had holes in my tail (is not factory piece) and I used clips as what stock grille has plus some glue.
That's the plan, the factory doesn't provide access to the back side of the grill mounts, aftermarket do(at least that's the way my Shaw tail was).
Old 03-11-2006, 03:41 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Bill,

FWIW, the grill is affixed by the world's stickiest double sided tape.

Had a tough time removing it last year.... don't look at the 2 tone paint. Factory job.
Attached Images   
Old 03-11-2006, 08:56 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Monique, thanks!

now I have to paint the inner portion black

The double sided tape works?
Old 03-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got it from Porsche. TüV approved :-)

Good luck
Old 03-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

You wouldn't have a part # or application would you?
Old 03-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rats. Cannot find the invoice.

Monday ...will call the German Porker dealer. Got the stuff there.

Stay posted.

Quick Reply: factory RS tail ?