Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anyone replace their CR-1 in dash cassette with a CDR-220

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:20 PM
dmwallace
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might call SW Stereo at 1-800-270-2378 - Sales Inquiries or 1-732-522-1837 - Technical Inquiries

web site is http://www.swstereo.com/

The owner (can't recall his name) sells CDR-220s and seemed to know all about 993 radio connection wiring. When I bought my CDR-220 from him his installation instructions included a recommendation that if needed he would walk me through the install if I called him while sitting in the car with the shipping box open. He walked me through every step of the install, which worked well for someone not mechanically inclined.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:50 PM
paa502
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stefan Weiss. He can make a custom cable and will provide a wiring diagram. A little expensive but knows this stuff very well.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:36 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by rsr91128
Tim,

I am struggling through this right now. I found a full cable that goes from the cdr-220 to the early hi-fi amp on ebay a couple of weeks ago. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Part # 993-645-413-00 I was able to hook up enough to get it to hear music through the amp into some temp speakers so I am sure it will work properly. I can hear it turn the amp on when the head unit is turned on so the signal line works also.

I overpaid for something that many people probably have being unused in their car right now, but I just want this project behind me. My wire harness was so hacked up by the "professional" installer that I am about to say screw it and sell the whole lot and leave the JVC in the car.

There is a thread on RW that goes over some of the same issues, supposedly there is a adapter for the old cable but the guy at becker I got my code from seemed unsure of what I was asking for.
Anyone else use this successfully on a CR-1/hi-fi - CDR220 conversion?

Originally Posted by dmwallace
You might call SW Stereo at 1-800-270-2378 - Sales Inquiries or 1-732-522-1837 - Technical Inquiries

web site is http://www.swstereo.com/

The owner (can't recall his name) sells CDR-220s and seemed to know all about 993 radio connection wiring. When I bought my CDR-220 from him his installation instructions included a recommendation that if needed he would walk me through the install if I called him while sitting in the car with the shipping box open. He walked me through every step of the install, which worked well for someone not mechanically inclined.
Thanks. Great guy to talk to. It's very nice to talk to someone who knows of what they speak.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:01 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default CR-1 to CDR-220

Yes, can be done, though for me, I went a different final config.

Original was a CR-1, currently have a CDR-220.

There are two plugs on the back of the CDR-220. The one from the 993 harness carries power, ground, and not much else. This plugs right into the back of the CDR-220, no adapter required.

Here's where mine is different. I am not using the second 993 harness that has the signal wires (hi-fi) to the factory Nokia amp. I'm using a small yellow Becker harness that sends output to an aftermarket amp via RCAs. It's a crapola harness as it lets in a bunch of noise into the system so I had to use filters to clean up the signal, not perfect, but good enough.

This answers half the question. Yes, you can use 1 of the factory connectors, though the other black rectangle connector that carries the signal leads to the factory amp should work, though I have no experience with this one.

You will need the antenna adapter too. It was mentioned earlier.

My complete system is:

CDR-220, Soundstream 4x50(under pass seat), Alpine 6.5 components in the doors, rear factory hi-fi speakers.

It needs some dynamat in the doors bad!

Quick Reply: Anyone replace their CR-1 in dash cassette with a CDR-220