SAI CEL inspection question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 09:24 PM
renn911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAI CEL inspection question

Hi All,
My car, a 96 with ~58k miles, just started throwing the CEL which appears to be SAI related. Looks like a flush may be in the future. After resetting the CEL I can go for about 200 miles before it goes on again. Assuming I get my car inspected without a CEL on will it pass? Is the P1411 stored somewhere in the system that a inspection station will detect or is it safe to get the car inspected as long as you do not have a CEL on?
Thanks in advance
Old 03-07-2006, 10:04 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

If you reset the error codes, you also reset the readiness codes. When they hook up to your ODBII port to test it, it will fail due to the codes not being ready. If you search, you can find the procedure for resetting the readiness codes, and you may be ok. Once you clear an error code, it disappears until it comes up again. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:15 PM
renn911
Instructor

Thanks Darin,
I did some searching and learned a lot about readiness codes! This prompts two more questions:
1) Does anyone from Mass know if we have referee stations as CA does? I've never heard of such a place.
2) And if we do not have referee stations, to insure my codes are “ready” before I go in for an inspection I think I’ll invest in a reader. In a previous post ViperBob referenced software that you can run from a laptop which appeals to me. Bob, or anyone else have further reviews using http://www.obd-2.com/ software? Is there a better reader for the same money?
Old 03-07-2006, 11:55 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by renn911
1) Does anyone from Mass know if we have referee stations as CA does? I've never heard of such a place.
There is one in Springfield (there might be others, call Mass DEP) but if your SAI ports are clogged they will fail you. At one time they would pass vehicles with upto two readiness flags not yet set but I think they now require all 7?
Old 03-08-2006, 12:23 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
There is one in Springfield (there might be others, call Mass DEP) but if your SAI ports are clogged they will fail you. At one time they would pass vehicles with upto two readiness flags not yet set but I think they now require all 7?
Hi,
I've 8 (not 7) readines flags on my '96 to 'set'.
Yep, when you clear a CEL code - by yanking the battery cable / yanking a fuse (for the ECM etc.) or by using a scanner -- then the 'readiness flags' are cleared also. They require a LOT of 'normal-to-granny' driving to become set (again) or strict adherence to the ubiquitous 'drive cycles'.
So don't be TOO quick to clear the code just yet.
You need to make sure that all the 'rubber tubing' that is around the checkvalve isn't leaking or loose. Such loose tubing can also set the CEL. If all the tubing is OK -- then I would run some Techron or Berryman's B12 or Seafoam thru' the fuel tank "in the hope" that it might help (doubtful at this stage but worth a try).
If you are 'close' to the month that your inspection is due (e.g. it's in April or May) then you need to get your a$$ in gear and have those ports cleaned out -- (it's covered in the DIY section). Once the ports are cleaned out I would THEN clear the CEL and THEN perform the drive cycles.
Hopefully, by the time you've done all this, the ports are clear, the CEL is out, there are NO pending codes and all your readiness flags are set --- and you are ready to have the car 'inspected'.
If this DOESN'T look likely then I would start looking around for a 'referee station'. If you DO find one ...just make sure that you DO clear the CEL before going. The referee stations aren't too perturbed if the readiness flags are NOT set but they will FAIL the car if the CEL is on.
GOOD LUCK!
G.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:10 PM
renn911
Instructor

From some of the posts I’ve read it looks like clearing the readiness codes is a tougher job than the SAI flush
Old 03-08-2006, 12:20 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by renn911
From some of the posts I’ve read it looks like clearing the readiness codes is a tougher job than the SAI flush
If ya mean 'resetting the readiness flags' ...then ...errr ...ummm ...YEP, IMHO!

G.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:05 PM
82SC_VRAM
Intermediate

As referenced in an earlier thread, I use the Autoenginuity software (no affiliation) as it provides Key On Engine Off CEL data and also Key On Engine Running real time analysis.....

http://www.autoenginuity.com/

You can get it from Ebay..........

Quick Reply: SAI CEL inspection question