Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you get the radio key code without the car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Can you get the radio key code without the car?

I purchased an used CD/radio on ebay the seller told me prior to bidding that it will come with the key code, but when the item arrived it didn't. After contacting the seller he told me that I can get the code from the dealer myself, so basically he lied. The last time I checked the dealer requires a charge and also the VIN number of the car? Anyone have any ideas?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:L:RTQ:US:1
Old 03-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM sent
Old 03-01-2006, 05:31 PM
sonny1
Banned

You can get the code from Becker Autosound(Becker of America) for $60.00, but I'm afraid that this particular radio won't work on a 993,it will work on a 996,it uses fiber optics wiring, but I might be wrong., I got a pair of brand new CDR-220's radios, pm. me if interested.,cheers,Sonny.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:17 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell the seller to get the code for you!
Old 03-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I did ask the seller. I was very specific with my pre bidding e-mail, but he lied! He just told me to get it from the dealer.

One thing that I can't stand for the life of me is a liar. So I turned this case into a paypal dispute, so they are handling it right now.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Hopefully you paid with your credit card. If Paypal doesn't come through for you, file a dispute with your CC company and send them a copy of your emails. They will reverse the credit to Paypal. I had to do that with a purchase last year.

Greg H.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:07 PM
donsacto
Racer

Robin:

You just need the serial number from the radio itself, no need to have the car. I bought a used CDR220 from a fellow board member who didnt have the radio code. I called the dealer where he bought the car and talked to a guy in the service department, I read off some numbers from the back of the radio and minutes later the service adivsor gave me the radio code, for free. Be nice to a service advisor and he might look it up for u for free. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
I purchased an used CD/radio on ebay the seller told me prior to bidding that it will come with the key code, but when the item arrived it didn't. After contacting the seller he told me that I can get the code from the dealer myself, so basically he lied. The last time I checked the dealer requires a charge and also the VIN number of the car? Anyone have any ideas?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:L:RTQ:US:1
Ditto to donsacto.

A friendly dealer will probably get the code from you without charge. I don't believe they need the VIN number, just the number from the radio itself.

I had no problem getting two of the local dealers to look up codes for me in the past - for free. But then, they do most of my services for my other car.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:27 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Some dealers are jerks about this issue. If you are having issues Robin, send me the serial number and I will get you the code. Not a big deal as I have good relations with a number of Porsche dealers.. This guy though should have done this already and then just provided you with the code....
Old 03-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

Originally Posted by viperbob
This guy though should have done this already and then just provided you with the code....
Agree. If he promises you the code in the auction description, he should provide you the code. He deserves at least negative feedback.

I'd try to negotiate with him though. If the guy if half decent, he would try to make it right for you because he doesn't want to have negative feedback neither.

Here is a trick though if you have to resort to negative feedback. Try to wait for him or get him to give you positive feedback first, before leaving negative feedback. It is common for bossos the retaliate with negative feedback, even though they know they are at faults.

ebay SUCKS when it comes to feedback retaliation. They won't do anything even though they know full well that the feedback system is being abused that way. Bad vendors will leave you retaliating feedback, and then negotiate with you for a mutual withdraw of the bad feedback.

In more extreme cases such as non-shipment, you can reverse payment via your credit company. If you paid via PayPal, you are protected but it is a pain in the xxx to get your money back. ebay makes you go thru an extended process and you have to wait weeks. Versus last time I called Chase Master Card, they gave me a conditional credit right away, and then chased down the offending vendor.

Having said all that, I still love ebay. There are quirks but the benefits far outweight the troubles. IMHO.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by viperbob
Some dealers are jerks about this issue. If you are having issues Robin, send me the serial number and I will get you the code. Not a big deal as I have good relations with a number of Porsche dealers.. This guy though should have done this already and then just provided you with the code....

Bob,

Thank you very much for the offer, I will PM you the serial number.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2006, 07:19 PM
mborkow
Drifting

I still love ebay
i used to love ebay. i still remember my first ebay purchase in which i sent a check to the seller and then, after he got my check, he sent me the sun ultra 5 i was buying...man, those days are over!

Quick Reply: Can you get the radio key code without the car?