Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Ice hockey.

Jason
Old 03-03-2006, 03:20 AM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

6-8 miles of running every other day without fail for the past 4 years and lots of vegetables in my diet. Run for you life!!

Scott
Old 03-03-2006, 04:35 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Harvey Yancey
1) Diet - Skip desserts and don't eat excessive carbs (bread, potatoes, etc.). Stick with fish & chicken. If you get a craving for something eat it ... but in small portions. If you deprive yourself you will end up binging.
2) Cardio - Run, walk, etc at least 3 times a week for 30-45 minutes
3) Weights - Again 3 times a week
3) Sleep - Get at least 7-8 hours
I think is pretty good advice here.

Dieting is the most important thing, I believe. People can excerise all they want, but if they don't watch what they eat, they lose very little weight (unless, of course, they are buring thousands of calories a day over their caloric consumption rate). I'd say portions is the key when it comes to dieting.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Kim, try going to a few games it will help!
Old 03-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Francisco Martinez
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I am on a weight gain diet, it is very difficult for me to keep weight....I just eat as much as possible. For some reason I have an incredibly fast metabolism.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Dont worry no one on the internet is out of shape. Come to think of it all the people whose questions I have answered about options over the last 9 years on the market/options boards are all very rich and always beat the markets too! The internet is a great place!
Old 03-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Run and don't eat !
Old 03-17-2006, 12:03 PM
run_26point2
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi folks..new to the Board, and a brand new owner of a 97 C2, arctic silver/black, bone stock--my first Porsche. Pictures and details to come, but I thought I'd weigh in (so to speak) on this topic. But first, let me echo what so many other first-timers have said: wow, Adrienne, you're beautiful. Oops...I meant to say, this is an incredibly helpful group of folks. Thanks for all the good advice on buying a 993. I look forward to continuing to learn.

As others have said, lots of good advice on staying in shape here. I would add only two things: first, everybody and every body is different, so what works for me might not work for you, so YMMV. And, second, two books to recommend. On nutrition, "Eat, Drink and Be Healthy", which is a research based guide to lifelong healthy eating; and on fitness, "Core Performance", which combines aerobic conditioning, strength training, Pilates, plyometrics, etc., with a very detailed 12 week program.

To answer the original question: I'm a marathon runner, and I've found having a goal and working out with others keeps me motivated and consistent.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:31 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 45 and, by no means, am I a 'born again-health-nut-zippah-head'.

What advice I WILL offer tho' (having run 5 ("sub-4") marathons ...in a row ..with #6 (New York) in my sights this coming Nov.) is that you MUST *combine* a change in what you eat WITH 'some form' of exercise.

Exercise = i) you **SWEAT** during it and ii) that you make an effort to raise your heart-rate for at least a 'sustained' 20-30 mins.

'change in what u eat' = i) don't have any fizzy/soda drinks in your fridge esp. those 2L bottles!!! -- (drink e.g. crystal light instead) ii) knock off buying/stashing/consuming (whilst watching American Idol) the humungo bag of doritos/nachos that have been waving to you from the cupboard iii) don't have candy in your car iv) knock off buying/consuming ANY form of fast food v) knock off buying/stashing/consuming pints of ice-cream in yer fridge/freezer vi) knock off buying/stashing/consuming 12 packs of beer in one sitting!

You need to burn 3,800 calories to 'lose' 1lb of fat off your bod.

You need to run a mile to burn off 100 calories.

A candy bar is 120-150 calories. (So if you start to look upon 'bad food' as
'potential mile burners' -- then it, very quickly, 'sinks in' that you had better eat SMARTER!

The BIGGEST hurdle you need to overcome -- is that very act of getting your butt off the couch and in gear to the local school track or to a gym. If you need a 'group motivation' then, by all means, join a club (great way to see/meet gals too ...but I digress).

"Progress" will, at first seem to be both i) painful and ii) slow -- but OVER TIME you will see and feel the difference.

Final word: "doing exercise and eating 'right'" is NOT something that you pick up and complete every so often - like reading a newspaper -- it actually REQUIRES a 'lifestyle change'. However, when you've actually 'incorporated' it INTO your lifestyle -- it ceases to become a chore or a burden -- it merely becomes a normal part of 'what u do'.

My $0.02

Gerry
Old 03-17-2006, 01:18 PM
C4-JohnO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to sound argumentative but...

Less cals does not always mean weight loss, if you drop your daily cals to far your body will hold any body fat as reserve and use your hard gained muscle if it needs extra cals - not good. Classic diet no no and any first few weeks losses will stop.

Hours of CV will not reduce your fat levels, diet will. there is also good reason to do interval training rather than steady state CV, it is good for both your lungs and heart and will burn cals through the day as well as during the exercise. Try 5 mins warm up followed by 20sec sprints 10 secs rest x 4 then 5 warm down - bike, rower or running (road not machine, when was the last time you really sprinted on the road?) two or three times per week (or one to start)

When you can do one set, try 2. If your ***** out you will not need 3 unless your supper fit.

Lift weights, its good for your muscle mass and will help keep strength in your bones long term. Muscle mass and weights will help with your bodies own testosterone balance, it keeps you lean and makes you horny - its what men are madde of.

If you cant use weights do old school body weight exercises, chins pushups, star jumps, body weight squats etc.

Most of all, eat well - good selection of meat, veggies and stay off the crap. have a cheat meal or two in the week. Cut out too much beer and ****.

Seek advice from your doc if you havn't worked out for a while, it can be shock to the body at first.

Stop reading magazines, they make you feel fat and ugly. (Porsche mags not included)

Get out enjoy life, live long and be strong in old age.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:24 PM
run_26point2
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, G-Murray, I hope to see you in NY (I'm sure I'll be able to pick you out of the crowd). Boston first though....exactly one month from today.

Quick Reply: OT-What do you do for fitness?