Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Has this happened to you? Attack of the Ricer!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 10:43 PM
Lerxst
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TYNUSKT
What is the deal with turning the emergency flashers on? I've had that happen to me a couple times and they speed up in front of me for no apparent reason and turn on their flashers.
Nearest as I can figure out from spending a couple of years on the Nissan 350Z forum, if you street race someone and beat them, you flash your hazards to say "ha ha... I beat you".
Old 02-27-2006, 11:01 PM
Jetmech
Racer

Hey, that was me in the Eclipse..I wanted to point out your car was leaking oil........ok just a little humor....Who knows what some people are thinking. Just when you meet someone who takes the cake..some other idiot is baking a new one.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:02 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are people so bothered by these kids. Weren't you guys ever teenagers?

As for making fun of their cars, let's see, every other post here is about getting either a louder exhaust or a suspension to lower our cars. Or putting some cool wheels. I don't see much difference.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Don C
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few weeks ago I was at a stop sign and a guy pulls up in a nicely rebuilt 1960's muscle car. He reved his engine and took off on the green. I just cruised to the next stop light. He was again reving his engine, so I looked over at him and put my wing up. We both laughed and gave each other the thumbs-up. I'm not sure if he knew he could have smoked me in a drag race or not.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:39 AM
wayne325
Instructor

Dude, never mind Eclipses.... I sometimes get MINIVANS that have drivers with... well I'm actually
at a loss as to what it is. Sometimes I'll show them how utterly out of their league they are, but
almost always I just laugh and keep going. It's not worth getting bent for a quick run with a
minivan or 6000 lb SUV.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:42 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

On Saturday, I was in the middle lane heading up I95. This BMW M3 pulls up to the right side of me, hooked his horn and started doing little sprints (speeds up, then slows down to run even). I waved and he proceeded to punch it, and cross directly in front of me, over to the fast lane. Told my wife it must be a full moon the nuts are out. About a mile down the road, Mr M3 is pulled over by a Maryland State Trooper, I just love happy endings.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:58 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Where I live, the ricers are everywhere. An example, I stopped at a red light last week and a honda civic stopped next to me (Big fin, big muffler, yaa know the type)

I knew it had a 4 banger in it, my daughter drives the exact model.

He is revving the engine prior to green light, and I am resisting giving him the bird!

Light turns green, I stomp the tip and it goes into first (when a tip Porsche goes into first at 4k rpm with performance exhaust) everyone around you knows it

So did the civic, actually I didn't mean for it to switch shift patterns, but the poor civic thought I was going to race him to the next light!! (Boxsters redline within 10 feet in tip 1'st)

He revs to prob 9k rpm and shoots off and then misses 2nd, I then lunge forward in front of him and felt embarrassed for him. (what an idiot)

Then he follows me onto a freeway on ramp, where I hand him his reality

Yaa I know a Boxster, but they can get jiggy too!
Old 02-28-2006, 01:03 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
Yessir, but nobody wanted to race my Arena Brown 72 Pinto with a green racing stripe, yes green racing stripe (PO did it, honest). It was a 2.0L model with automatic that was so worn out, you couldnt feel it shift. Maybe a prototype CVT trans, perhaps?

Oh, and it had home made Plaid curtains
Old 02-28-2006, 01:08 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I deal with ricers in one of two ways...

1) if he wants to drag race on a straight road, I ignore him.

2) if he wants to race and there's a somewhat sharp turn coming up, I won't downshift but I'll accelerate SMOOTHLY to a speed where I can take the turn, but he will probably crash. I do it smoothly because it looks less dramatic that way, and they're more inclined to try and follow.

So far, I haven't gotten anyone to crash, but one guy came VERY close in an S2000 Immature maybe, but fun.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:11 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by texas911

As for making fun of their cars, let's see, every other post here is about getting either a louder exhaust or a suspension to lower our cars. Or putting some cool wheels. I don't see much difference.
I agree I don't understand this tread, I have always been competative and still am, however when I was younger I was more reclkess and after a near miss or two qwickly learned that racing was best dong safely and had club racing and learned that showing off was not the only thing owning a fast car was for but learning my limitations of car and driver. I would still rather see a kid showing off alittle then doing a crack pipe.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:25 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately some of them are hitting the crack pipe while they are showing off.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:31 AM
rbennett
Drifting

I think its attitude (on the Porsche drivers side) IMO

Sometimes when I leave the office after a GOOD day, I dont even give the ricers a second glance, no matter what antics there up to.

But on a bad day at the office, I throw in AC/DC in the CD drive off and ask:

"Who wants a piece of me"

Either way, when I arrive at home, I am in a great mood and it doesn't cut into drinking time!!
Old 02-28-2006, 01:38 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Originally Posted by pcar964
if he wants to race and there's a somewhat sharp turn coming up, I won't downshift but I'll accelerate SMOOTHLY to a speed where I can take the turn, but he will probably crash.
LOL! pcar964, I routinely try to get ricers to follow me off the freeway on the sharp turns (on bad days at the office of course), gee I always beat them off the freeway!!

Funny to see driver and passenger in the rear view mirror both leaning at 45 deg as they dissapear in my mirror
Old 02-28-2006, 01:55 AM
saphriel
Instructor

I am embarrased to admit it, but it was actually I that bullied ricers, way back when I had my 928.
I even once harassed a poor innocent ricer in a civic...in my old 2.5L boxster.

These days, I no longer look for riceboys to slaughter, mainly because:
1) I own the icon now (the 911)
2) the local law enforcement gave me one too many tickets, and finally...
3) I've changed my ways and I am now a kinder, gentler, Porsche owner.

Cheers!
Old 02-28-2006, 02:04 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rbennett
LOL! pcar964, I routinely try to get ricers to follow me off the freeway on the sharp turns (on bad days at the office of course), gee I always beat them off the freeway!!

Funny to see driver and passenger in the rear view mirror both leaning at 45 deg as they dissapear in my mirror

Quick Reply: Has this happened to you? Attack of the Ricer!