Sponsored by:

gold plated porsche (book)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 05:28 PM
ggg1ggg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Svaha
A great book more along the lines of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" than a 911 Engine Rebuilding Book.
+1

More of a philosophy book than it is about motoring, and I loved it. In fact, I went and bought the electronic version of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" just so I could read it again, too.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:17 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 82 Posts

I loved that book, it was a great quick read.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:42 PM
paa502
Pro

Read it. Liked it.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:10 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Not enough Porsche material and too much on other distractions...maybe my expectations were wrong.
Now that I am further into the book, I see what you mean and agree. I could easily have done without the "Paul the Newfie" chapter. I hope those chapters are few.

But one section caught my attention on page 51 and I had to chuckle...to quote...

The Internet is filled with Porsche-specific bulletin boards and chat rooms...

Proceed with caution, however. These posting sites are frequented by a few of the world's most knowledgeable Porsche techies, but also by lots of people who think they know more about Porsches than they in fact do. As is true of virtually all Internet information, what you learn will cost you nothing and may well be worth exactly that. There are drudges out there whose lives revolve around checking into their Porsche bulletin boards five and six times a day so that they can demonstrate their expertise by answering innocent technical queries with responses that could turn your 911 engine into a big aluminum grenade.

But that applies to just about all internet forums. There is one guy on one of the motorcycle forums who is looked upon as a guru yet some of his how-tos are downright wrong as another BMW trained tech and engineer put it in an e-mail to me. You see forum members using the bow icon often and the following quote from a forum member pretty well sums him up...like the prez and his yes men.

Club A-holes
This is not just a M/C club thing. I also belong to a HAM radio club. The same thing happened at both the HAM and BMW clubs I was a member of. Someone gets elected - usually politician type. He does a good job so nobody challenges him. Over time it becomes "his" club and he always gets his way. The normal folks you like to hang out with either stop coming to gatherings or quit altogether. The club then polarizes into three groups. The prez and his yes men, the newbies that idolize the prez cause they believe everything he says, and the complainers who sit on the side lines and think they can't change anything.

That's why I don't actively participate in either club anymore. I don't like what's going on, I don't like what I become and I don't like the anxiety I have when I leave a meeting. A long solo ride is great therapy to club anxiety!
Old 11-13-2010, 10:16 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I think a good read is a 911 Engine Rebuilding Book
Mike, since most book reviews you find on Amazon, etc are inaccurate, I have a couple of questions...

What vintage of 911 does that book cover?

Is it a "rebuilding" tips book or a "performance & hop-up" tech book...the latter which I am not interested in?
Old 11-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

The book covers 1965 - 1989, and covers both a stock rebuild and modifications. Interesting read for those who want to see "how its done". The 993 engines do not fundamentally differ much from the rebuild procedures in this book, but the specifications are different (like like they are different in the various 911 models before the 993), and some of the mechanics are different (like hydraulic lifters, cam timing without indexed sprockets, torquing procedures, etc.). While its not the end-all-be-all, its a good start.

My research/training to get to the level of being able to rebuild my 993 engine was:

- lots of internet research, especially the Pelican Parts engine rebuilding forum. That forum is more technical than this one
- courses. I took the Gerry Woods/Bruce Anderson course on engine rebuilding in CA.
- books. I have a large variety of books, with Wayne's book being the primary one for rebuilding. In bookstores (used and new) I am always on the prowl for these kinds of books.
- technical supplements (published by Porsche) and TSB's

I think my problem with the "Gold Plated Porsche" is my expectations were not correct. I was looking for a good technical story on what was done, instead I got a wandering description on this guys attempts at engine building, flying, and other stuff....so I was disappointed. I am sure its a good read for someone, but not me...oh well its filed on my bookshelf gathering dust.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-14-2010, 02:25 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

One of my favorites and time for a Holiday re-read ...

Last edited by FlatSix911; 11-14-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:16 AM
Body Roll
Advanced

I read it when searching for a 993. I really liked it.

Quick Reply: gold plated porsche (book)