Sponsored by:

Rattle: Driving me MAD!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:33 PM
adams993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Rattle: Driving me MAD!

Hey guys, so I've had my car since March 15th of 2005. It is a Speed Yellow Carrera 4S. Since the DAY I bought her I have heard a rattle coming from her when driving. It is NOT mechanical, atleast I am 99% sure of this. It was VERY VERY quiet when I first got the car....THEN i removed the rear Seatbacks....and the noise increased. THEN, I had a friend riding in the back one night...and the noise LITERALLY dissappeared completely! When i dropped him at home, the noise was back full force. ALSO, when I installed my RUF rear bumper the noise went away for the 40 miles drive to my Mom's house....had dinner there, and then got backk int he car to go back to Seattle, and the noise was back...as if it were never gone! I am going MAD! When the noise is not there, the car is SUPER smooth sounding, and SUPER sexy....but with the noise, I want EARMUFFS! I have taken it to a shop out here. Squire Autowerks (reputable) said they couldn't hear the noise as they have been to the track in too many cup cars, and have no more hearing...heehee. And took it to the stealership and they said I needed a new tranny. Which I dont buy. NOW, the noise sounds like it is coming from the Driver's side rear....sounds like an exhaust leak, or loose screw. I have already done TONS to eliminate what I THOUGHT was perhaps causing the problems. Swapped out the mufflers, RUF coilovers, removed plastic Engine Shroud, RS Bypass Pipe, etc etc. I am DYING here! Here is the Only thing I can think that may help you guys diagnose it:
When i take a long wide fast turn and blip the throttle I get a metallic "ting'ting'ting" sounds but I can't replicate it when the car straightens out! HELP ME, i love my car, but without the sound, it would be even more amazing!
ADAM
Old 02-10-2006, 12:18 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember a recent thread, where a similar sound was caused by a rusted bumper support that rattled against something, might have been the muffler.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:21 AM
adams993
Burning Brakes

Can't be a muffler, because it made teh same sound when the mufflers were removed while I was waiting for my RSRs....and YES I could STILL HEAR IT without any mufflers on the car....so it is pretty severe.
ADAM
Old 02-10-2006, 12:34 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really have to describe it better (I know it's difficult, I've been there!), because it could be anything. If the previous owner installed aftermarket rear speakers, maybe the wiring is loose behind the rear shelf. It's just guessing until you start narrowing it down.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:42 AM
adams993
Burning Brakes

The speakers ARE aftermarket in the rear....but it made the noise before i had this done. Wires behind the rear shelf....now THAT is a good one! I Removed my rear seatbelts when I took out the seats....it could be something there....I am gonna rip that thing out tomorrow and take a look! Makes complete sense that when someone is sitting int eh backk that it presses on whatever is rattling and makes it stop! WICKED!

ADAM
Old 02-10-2006, 12:46 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think pcar was referring to this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=heat+shield
Old 02-10-2006, 12:54 AM
adams993
Burning Brakes

Reading it now.
ADAM
Old 02-10-2006, 12:56 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 416 Posts

How about the rear wiper? The blade has a tendency to get caught between the two arms after raising it to clean the window, causing the smaller arm to rest very near the window. The smaller arm will rattle while the car is moving and will sometimes rattle when the throttle is blipped.

Others said that they didn't hear it, but it drove me nuts for about a day before I figured it out. (Guess that makes me a sensitive guy....)

-Jim
Old 02-10-2006, 01:07 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be your driver side motor mount. How many miles on your car ? If the mount is shot, it may loosen up in the engine carrier and cause a rattle. Not too difficult to check out either. Link to Robin's site.

http://p-car.com/diy/motormount/

Quick Reply: Rattle: Driving me MAD!