Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Lights? Canadians?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 06:37 PM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a Canadian C4S with litronic headlights. The running lights are not low beam on the head lights, rather the inner fogs as shown below.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Seamless
I have a Canadian C4S with litronic headlights. The running lights are not low beam on the head lights, rather the inner fogs as shown below.
That's actually the city lights. Mine is a Canadian car as well with litronics and DRLs are the actual fog lights. Most cars I've seen are like this. Curious would it be simple enough to wire DRL as city lights instead of the fogs (vehicles already equipped with DRL from factory)? Handy for those with turbo s ducts since I know they default to hook up via city lights.

Last edited by Knight; 01-25-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:04 AM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
Trust it works OK - if not, please shout ... if you have aftermarket HID headlights, check that all bulbs act as required re on/off/hi & lo beam. I had to modify my patch after installing HID's , and offhand, do not recall the details.
Tried it and it didn't work? I pulled the fog lamp relay out and bridged 30 to 87 , but when I start the car, no lights?
Old 01-29-2014, 10:57 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hepkat63
Tried it and it didn't work? I pulled the fog lamp relay out and bridged 30 to 87 , but when I start the car, no lights?
OK, reinstall relay #31 and turn the key to run position: then turn the headlights on and to LOW BEAM - and pull on the fogs. Does everythink work as it should.

Assuming that to be the case, then fuse #14 (fogs) is good, relay 01 is good, as is relay 31.

Then turn everything off, pull relay 31, and insert the jumper between CE panel slots #3 & #5 ( = relay pins 30 +12V) to #87 ( supply side to fogs).

In most cases, that will turn on the fogs when the key is turned to the 'run' position - will look deeper if that does not work.

Caveat - the CE panel also lists relay #34 as the fog light in USA & Japan - no idea, but not the one to pull if your car is so equipped.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:03 AM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

thanks Garth - that worked perfectly ! Ok, so is it 'safe' to leave it like that? What are the ramifications of leaving the relay out?
regards
steve
Old 01-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hepkat63
thanks Garth - that worked perfectly ! Ok, so is it 'safe' to leave it like that? What are the ramifications of leaving the relay out?
regards
steve
IMHO, perfectly safe to jumper a relay in that service indefinitely. Recall that the +12V supply side is protected by a 15A fuse in #14 slot; however, it is never a bad idea to make your jumpers up using a pigtail fuse socket - install jumper, then fuse so there is no risk of grounding terminal #30 when it is live.

I always carry a two & three spade jumper wire set - the three way will bridge the DME ( 30 to the two 87's), and be a sure test of a questionable relay - I mention this one as it must be removed when the car is turned off, as it leaves the fuel pump energized ---- most others, like the 'DRL' patch stay in place.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:12 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Thx Garth
Old 02-13-2014, 02:38 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently upgraded my fogs to true HIDs. Wouldn't mind having them run as DRLs, but have a few questions:

Are the two fog bulbs the only lights on? (no other side or rear plate lights, etc)

What happens when you turn on headlights? Do fogs turn off with high beams? Is fog dash switch basically dead item?
Old 02-13-2014, 03:06 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
I recently upgraded my fogs to true HIDs. Wouldn't mind having them run as DRLs, but have a few questions: Are the two fog bulbs the only lights on? (no other side or rear plate lights, etc) What happens when you turn on headlights? Do fogs turn off with high beams? Is fog dash switch basically dead item?
Yes only the fogs lights are on, nothing else.

When you turn on the headlights, fogs will auto turn off.

The interior fog switch still works, example you can activate when the headlights are on.

Quick Reply: Running Lights? Canadians?