Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Running Lights? Canadians?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 02:45 PM
AHEDAU
Instructor

Location: London Ontario-My Fleet:86Cab/95Coupe/ 01 Outback H6 VDC/ 01 PathfinderSE/65Beetle(Survivor)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PS-the_buch I plan on taking my child seat anchor back for refund immediately after the inspection. I've imported a few sports cars in the past and it always makes me laugh that they have these crazy rules here. They daytime running lights I actually agree with though it's a great safety measure.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:46 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

141.951.253 B Try my Porsche in Monterey, and its less than $20. parts@my-porsche.com
Old 03-19-2006, 02:06 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Relay with no place to go :)

Before you go and buy the relay be forwarned ... there might not be a place for you to plug it in. I just looked at the Fuse/Relay box in my 1995 993 and sure enough there is a place for the DRL relay but it is a blank spot, a dud, Porsche did not put the wiring in so its just a plastic tab covering what should be a socket to receive the relay. If your car does have wiring behind the R63 relay spot just plug in a any one of the other relay's that look similar to see if your Fog Light do turn on. As for me, I guess I will buy one of those generic DRL from Canadian Tire and just wire it in.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:04 PM
ientre9y11
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine done at MCL, the authorized dealer in Vancouver.

The parts they used were 928-610-511-00 Relay Board $9.91 and 141-951-253-B Relay $28.16.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Racer944
Racer

You need the DRL module to do the conversion yourself, as its really not a "plug and play" operation. A simple DRL module is about $25 bucks at CDN tire and is easily wired into whatever light circuit you want to use.

By the way, stock CDN cars use the foglights as the DRL.

Cheers;
Eric
Old 03-21-2006, 10:43 AM
hotrdd911
Instructor

Eric what did you do to wire in the DRL?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Racer944
Racer

My car is a CDN spec car so nothing was needed.

I have however wired in a few DRL modules on other (non-porsche) cars for friends. Essentially aftermarket DRL modules simply consist of a small electronic box that gets wired into power then simply taps into the light circuit of your choice and sends a low voltage signal to the lamp when car is on but main light switch is off.

They were very popular as a retro fit when the laws came into effect and there were many older cars not so equipped.

Hope this helps...

Eric
Old 03-21-2006, 12:04 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hotrdd911
Eric what did you do to wire in the DRL?
Eric's car is a Canadian car so he didn't have to do anything. I have a US car and I did as Eric suggested got the relay from Canadian tire.

I wired it to the main headlight just because it was the simplest install. All you need to do is:
First connect the ground wire of the DRL to some good ground point on the chassis.

Then take out the headlight (I did this on the Passenger one since its close to the fuse box).

You can leave the headlight out for the entire wiring process since once it is wired it will turn on the other headlight even though one is removed. It makes it allot easier to test your installation and refine the setup.

Tap in the low beam wire from the DRL (low beam wire) to the top lead from the Headlight socket in the fender. You can feed the wire through one of the rubber boots on the side of the inner fender.

On the DRL circuit take the green wire and connect it to a source that only has power when the ignition is on, I used the un-used Relay slot# R51 and feed the wire into the wire socket that is closest to the fuse box. If you want to be sure use an ammeter with prongs and confirm that the power is there when you have the key turned in only as far as needed for the headlights to work.

At this point before you add live power to the DRL if you are NOT going to use the other live wires for parking lights etc. I would use electrical tape to cover them up so they don't short anything by mistake.

The only wire you should have left now is the Red power one with the 20amp in-line fuse. This one is a matter of choice, either you hook it up to the battery directly or you buddy it into one of the fuses. My hood is void of any inner carpet etc. so it was easy for me to use the battery but I did have to extend the wire since it would not reach the battery. I also added a switch in-line with that extended wire so that I could disable the DRL. At first I did this mostly because I already had a in-line switch with a long enough wire on it. But after the fact I was glad since it made it easy for me to test the install to ensure the lights still worked without the DRL in the picture. If you chose to tap the Red power line into the fuse box I would use the ammeter to find a live source, I happen to know on my car that same relay, slot #R51 has a live spot on it, its next to the one that only has power when the ignition is on. It sure would have been nice if I could have used it but I blew it cause one of the wires that I was not going to use ie. the parking light wire touched ground when I was testing the install. Good luck!

Last edited by cavlino; 03-21-2006 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Typo's
Old 03-21-2006, 12:11 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Smile

Hey Eric I took so long to type that I didn't realize you already responded
Old 01-22-2014, 03:47 AM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my R63 is 'blanked' off - just a piece of plastic there. So (obviously), I can't plug in the relay. Does anyone know how then to set this up please?
Old 01-22-2014, 07:11 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Pull the fog light relay and place a jumper between slot #30 and #87 ( as marked on the relay - female slots on the CE panel are marked differently).

This will turn on the fogs with key in 'run' position - legal in Canada, down under too??

This will cost you 25 cents AU --- two male spades crimped to 2" of 16g wire ....and done in 5 min.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:59 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garth S
Pull the fog light relay and place a jumper between slot #30 and #87 ( as marked on the relay - female slots on the CE panel are marked differently).

This will turn on the fogs with key in 'run' position - legal in Canada, down under too??

This will cost you 25 cents AU --- two male spades crimped to 2" of 16g wire ....and done in 5 min.
Thx Garth...will give it a go
Old 01-22-2014, 05:21 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hepkat63
Thx Garth...will give it a go
Trust it works OK - if not, please shout ... if you have aftermarket HID headlights, check that all bulbs act as required re on/off/hi & lo beam. I had to modify my patch after installing HID's , and offhand, do not recall the details.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:42 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

I went to my local VW/Audi shop in Calgary, Concept I, they just "bridged" the contacts in the Fuse Box, cost $ 85.00…

My 2 cents ( oh yes, we don't have pennies anymore in Canada)

Cheers to all,

Bert
Old 01-22-2014, 06:26 PM
Dan Snyder
Advanced

Before you spend a lot of dollars check the threads here ....you can bridge two sockets with a wire that has two spade ends in the fog light relay and the fog lights become running lights.
Less than a dollar at auto parts store. The two sockets to wire are the one on the curbside of the relay and the one that runs different direction than than other three.

Quick Reply: Running Lights? Canadians?