Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUF Bumper Install Question! PLEASE Chime In!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 03:24 AM
adams993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow RUF Bumper Install Question! PLEASE Chime In!

Hey guys...SO as many of you know I am in the process of (yay) installing a RUF front and rear bumper. RIGHT NOW, I am working on the rear...MAN, this hting took a LOT of modding to get to even workk on the car...BUT I am running into ONE big problem. I can line up the pass. side, but not the drivers. It looks like a few things are in the way. The MAIN heatshiled that runs from side to side in the rear of the car (parrallel to the cats). THIS goes lower than the RUF bumper, and thus the bumper cannot slide into place completely. Cna I remove this? Or will it runin the paint with the heat? ALSO, how is that same lower edge of the bumper attatched to the car? On the factory bumper there is a black Metal strip that runs between the muffler tips that has angled brackets which in turn attatch to brackets holding htis edge to the car. ANY insight is GREATLY appreciated! Can anyone with this same rear bumper take some pics, or tell me if their car has that rear heatshield installed? And what other mods I need to know about? THANKS! You guys ROCK!
ADAM
Old 02-03-2006, 01:03 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Adam,

I'll try and shoot some pictures and email or post them. I recall something that looked like a thin "stiffiner" on the stock rear bumper... I can't remember if that was moved over to the Ruf bumper or not. The muffler heat shields and exhaust tip heat shields were left off of the Ruf bumper. It may be a few days before I can get the pictures. I hope it can help.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:21 PM
adams993
Burning Brakes

Steve....you left the muffler heat shileds off? Should I do this too? I simply cut mine.....perhaps I will remove my heatshiels and just use nuts and bolts to hold it to the car.....what do you think?
ADAM
Old 02-03-2006, 05:24 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Adam,

Remember... I have a turbo, and for turbos, the mufflers are optional. I left mine off... hence no heat shields. It looks like they would have been a PITA to fit, and would have blocked that nifty Ruf vent. I don't know what you need to do on a NA car.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Adam,

I'm with Steve here (in a way).

What mufflers you have?

Maybe you don't want to hear this (you mentioned earlier being on a budget etc.) but with supercups, you'll get ton of more room and would not need heat shields since the muffles are so much mor away from the bumper.

And they're not actually that expensive, and you can sell your stock or RSR's to (almost) cover the cost, just don't rip people off when you sell them... (just kidding here )

Oh, and I forgot to mention, supercups sound awesome...
Old 02-03-2006, 06:23 PM
adams993
Burning Brakes

Supercups with cat bypasses may be TOO loud for daily driving though!!
ADAM
Old 02-03-2006, 06:26 PM
adams993
Burning Brakes

Does anyone make a supercup style muffler that can run stock tips? Any ideas on if I can remove the lateral rear "apron" heatshield?

ADAM
Old 02-03-2006, 06:55 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The bumper cover will melt or get so hot that it will burn the paint off your bumper. That is what the heat shield is their for so Be carefull....
Old 02-03-2006, 07:48 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Adam, John,

You are talking about the "cat pipes" heat shield? I don't believe that the turbo has that shield. I think Adam is concerned because the Ruf bumper doesn't hang as low as the stock bumper, and that shield is now exposed. Is this correct Adam? It is possible (and as you can see, this is unknown territory for me) that because the Ruf bunper isn't as low... and because it seems to be a bit "longer" (requiring those exhaust tip extensions), that the "cat pipes" heat shield may not be as critical as on a stock bumper. I'm just spectulating and trying to translate.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:23 PM
adams993
Burning Brakes

Yes I am talking about the CAT PIPE heatsheild...and I was thinking hte same thing. Please lend some more advise! THANKS!
ADAM
Old 02-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 393 Posts

Have you taken any pics?
Old 02-03-2006, 09:54 PM
adams993
Burning Brakes

No, I have sold my camera so I could buy the bumpers...talk about a catch-22.
ADAM
Old 02-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 393 Posts

I don't have a cat on either car but, on the 993, removal of the side muffler heat shields led to some problems w/ warping of the stock bumpers. I reinstalled the side shields and all seems well. But I would like a bumper that is vented in that area.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by adams993
Supercups with cat bypasses may be TOO loud for daily driving though!!
ADAM
WHAT?!?! (I have Supercups with cat bypass...)
Old 02-04-2006, 03:00 PM
adams993
Burning Brakes

YAY!!!! RUF BUMPER INSTALLED! I have now invested (literally) 24 hours on getting this bumper on. The rear cat heatshield is still hangiing low...I am thinking about simply trimming it... ANYHOW, it was a matter of using a LOT of muscle to push the bumper around quite a bit. STILL doesn't line up perfectly, but I will have my body shop make it perfect when I get it painted. Thanks for the help guys!
Flying Finn: I ordered some RSR's from Robin.....they will be here on Monday. Will I be happy with them? I like a loud car, but not an obnoxious car. I drive from Seattle, WA to Vancouver B.C. every once in a while....(2 Hours) would they be too loud for road trips like this?
ADAM

Quick Reply: RUF Bumper Install Question! PLEASE Chime In!