Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Have you had SAI port clogging?
Yes
23.85%
No
76.15%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Have YOU had SAI ports clogged

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 11:14 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL 993
...Based on what I have been able read, this proceedure along with spirited driving should keep me out of the shop for this issue for quite some time...
Now that your ports are clear, there's solid experience that replacing the check valve at 10-15K intervals will keep the problem at bay. Thus, another flush should be in the distant future. Congrats!
Old 02-24-2006, 11:24 AM
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes.... they are soaking w/carbon-off right now!

The car uses very little oil, is driven mellow to slightly spirited on the street and all-out on the track (60/40%). First CEL at about 47K... flush corrected but not for long. This is my second visit at 51K, and I plan to flush until all six ports spew clean fluid like Yosemite Falls. If that fails.... my EE friend and I wil have a circuit building lesson!
Old 02-24-2006, 11:38 PM
Drums
4th Gear

My '97 993 engine came out of a roll over @ 13,600 miles. PO must have driven it like a grandma going to church. The engine got stronger the harder I drove it. The mechanics that put the engine in could not believe the difference in performance from the time they installed it [ 3 months, 2,000 miles] until they drove it again. I believe these engines like to be driven hard, and in this, I like to accomodate them.
I read an article in 'Panarama' that explained that the 'coking' problem is probably related to the valve guide seals being too GOOD [efficient].
My engine is too young to be using too much oil and haven't noticed anything yet.
Keeping my fingers crossed,
Drums
Old 02-25-2006, 12:41 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had my check valve replaced at 27k miles. It was highly corroded. Mechanic said it looked like it came off the Titanic.
Next day, I had the check engine light come on. Turned out to be a loose wire. I asked for the codes that he read but never got them....

chuck
Old 02-25-2006, 02:12 AM
CentralCoastC4S
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just removed the check valve at 35K miles, no CEL but thought I should do it.
Valve was junk, rusted so bad inside it was impossible for it to be working.
Turned the old valve into a air-compressor fitting and checked with pressurized air- turns out I've got great air flow out of both sides so I assume I caught the valve before it had a chance to become much of a problem. Will probably button it back up and keep replacing the valve every 10-15K miles just to be sure...
Old 02-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Reynard38
Pro

Originally Posted by ATL 993
Update

45K service, sunroof switch, gas cap, SAI Flush/Clean Out - $1,400

Original Diagnosis was OBDII 1-3 clogged. Upon inspection #2 clogged pretty good. Took and extra 3 hours to get the Check Valve out due to rust. Did the blow out and "roto roter" which ultimately cleared out the build up. Ryland is actually dropping it off to me a work today. Big kudus to Ryland and his team.

Based on what I have been able read, this proceedure along with spirited driving should keep me out of the shop for this issue for quite some time.

The folks over in Chamblee never heard of such a proceedure but was willing to take $5K to fix the problem.
Wow! Rylands did all this for $1400? May be going to Rylands for my service!
Old 02-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are scaring me. Bought my 96 C2 two years ago at 70K. Cranked off 10K more. No problems, no CEL and it's passed CA smog twice.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:18 AM
ATL 993
7th Gear

Reynard38

I would use Ryland again. I previously owned an 80' Targa and now my 96' 993 and in that time I have used and number of shops - Performance Imports, Jack Lewis, Jim Ellis, European Motor Cars (beaware). While Rylands shop may not impress you from a presentation standpoint, I believe he is honest and fair, what more can you ask.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:23 AM
dhicks
Drifting

I no longer live in ATL but will secong ATL993's sentiments.....Rylands place almost scared me off first time I went there but the PO of my 951 had told me that he had used Ryland exclusively and that he was always very fair and did a good job. The mech that I got used to working with - Don - is no longer there, unless Ryland has hired him back, but he and I would sometimes work late in the evening together on the car...great learning for me.....after that Ryland did most of my work himself....my only issue was getting my car back on time, other than that I would recommend Ryland to anybody, but just dont get put off when you drive up!!
Old 02-28-2006, 08:28 PM
Craig W.
Instructor

Yes.

55k miles. I personally looked at each port when it was torn down and they were all plugged. Also put in a clutch and lightweight flywheel while the motor was out.

Quick Reply: Poll: Have YOU had SAI ports clogged