Sponsored by:

Formal Appology

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006 | 12:05 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrian
Mark,
This is only correct if the photograph does not contain previously copyrighted content.
Hi Adrian,

So, if the photo does contain previously copyrighted content, then the US copyright laws don't apply? Am I broad brushing this? I'm sure you've studied this topic WRT your book, but this doesn't make sense to me.
Old 01-26-2006 | 12:38 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Mark,
You cannot claim copyright over something that contains somebody else's copyrighted material. You need to obtain their permission before using said image in public regardless of intent.
For private use which means on one computer or in one photo album at home, no problem.
The law applies on behalf of the copyright owner of the material that appears in your photograph first and when this is sorted then it applies to you.

Techncial example: If you are out at a car show and you take a picture of somebody holding a copy of one of my books and the cover is clearly in view, you cannot claim copyright over that image until you get mine and my publisher's permission to use the image. You have reproduced part of my book and that is breach of copyright.
Now that is just a techncial example, personally I would not care unless the image was used in a way to discredit me, or the publisher.
A colleague of mine just ran foul of this law in the UK. Cost him £3,000. He was sued by Jaguar for using their copyrighted material that appeared in HIS photographs.
There are a couple of very high profile (fiction) authors who have on their staff, people who actually look for this. Why do they do it? Because they can.
Movie companies have also been sued for this when filming in a public place and a statue or other piece of copyrighted art clearly appears in a frame.
I hope that makes sense. This does make things difficult for authors and magazine writers. When people send me images for my books I have to check each one for copyright infringements like I have mentioned.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 01-26-2006 | 12:53 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Makes total and complete sense, Adrian. I thought you were referring to previously copyrighted material that the creator of the photograph in question had registered. Thank you.
Old 01-26-2006 | 01:23 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by adams993
Well ebay deleted my thread...due to the fact that I someone here posted that it was fraudulent...so they even cancelled my new thread...SO there is another $5 in listing fees downt he drain. Relisting again:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

ADAM

you are NOT allowed to 'circumvent fees' on ebay (so that 4% surcharge for paypal payment is a big NO NO)

I found that out very long ago when ebay canceled an auction of mine. You just have to consider it cost of doing business offering paypal.
Old 01-26-2006 | 01:46 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ceboyd
you are NOT allowed to 'circumvent fees' on ebay (so that 4% surcharge for paypal payment is a big NO NO)

I found that out very long ago when ebay canceled an auction of mine. You just have to consider it cost of doing business offering paypal.
Where does Adam include a 4% surcharge for using paypal?? I don't see that. Even if he did, so what?

However, his comment about "please make me Buy It Now offers" could get him into some trouble with ebay if he tries to cancel the auction to avoid paying fees. But still, SO WHAT? That's his problem.
Old 01-26-2006 | 01:54 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Wow....I had not looked at this page since the begining when I think I ended by saying....lets get the Rennlist spirit back.......it was my car and my tag that Adam inadvertantly used without permission....we sorted our differnces by email and resolved things....time for the rest of you to now close this thread and move on......Perhaps its time for John D to step in and just delete this one?
Old 01-26-2006 | 02:52 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Where does Adam include a 4% surcharge for using paypal?? I don't see that. Even if he did, so what?

However, his comment about "please make me Buy It Now offers" could get him into some trouble with ebay if he tries to cancel the auction to avoid paying fees. But still, SO WHAT? That's his problem.
in the 2nd auction that got canceled, he listed that paypal payers must pay an additional 4% surcharge and this is not allowed per ebay terms.. that's all

Many years ago I had an auction stating extra 3.2% fee if paying via paypal and ebay canceled my auction stating I was not allowed to do that.
Old 01-26-2006 | 04:19 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rcwelch
We haven't had this much fun in the Pacific Northwest since DB Cooper jumped out of a Northwest Orient plane on Thanksgiving eve in 1971 with a bag full of money...BTW Adam, your not related are you?
hahaha
let us in on it
you're DB cooper and your 993 is bought with dirty money
Old 01-26-2006 | 04:50 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

I think some of you are just pissed off that Adam is a 22 year old with a widebody 993.
Damn son! That is a hell of a car for a 22 yr old. Good for you!

I'm 27 and am lucky to have my little old C2.

And I did enjoy reading about the differences in copyrighted stuff for commercial gain and personal use. That makes sense. Thanks for the education guys.

Quick Reply: Formal Appology