Sponsored by:

rust bubble on panel

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 05:01 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rust bubble on panel

under the rear window on a 96 993. It was repaired by Porsche under warranty. I have not seen it yet, it's been done to a car I am considering buying. My question is, is this a common problem area? are there any other things to look for pertaining to this? I spoke with the service writer who remembered the car and he stated it was a small area where water accumulates,and there were no other issues. I want to ask you guy's, the experts, for your opinions. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Quite a few 993s have had a bit of rust on the side of the rear windows (mine included). It apparently often comes from the low quality seal that Porsche introduced for the 993 and/or poor rear window replacements. I've not heard of it being at the base of the rear window or of a water trap. Where would this water come from?. Either way the glass has to come out, the whole surround is blasted, cleaned up, treated, etc and typically a high end shop would pretty much spray the roof so it's not a $50 touch up!

If it's the only negative then I wouldn't let it put you off as long as the repair is to a satisfactory standard. Ask them to check very carefully round the windscreen frame as you may find rust there; again it's an increasingly common problem in the UK; primarily due to poor windscreeen fitting.

Good luck!

Regards,

David
Old 01-18-2006, 05:44 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

I have a copy of the repair invoice, it has 3 part #'s listed. one is for a window seal, another for a rubber seal and another p/n 993-545-107-12 Rear Window. Was the rear window replaced? Can anyone tell by the p/n I listed?
Old 01-18-2006, 06:28 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

993-545-107-12 is the part number for the rear window.

Andreas
Old 01-18-2006, 07:01 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Andreas, Thanks for that info. Whay would they replace the window? Maybe breaking it while removing?
Old 01-18-2006, 10:04 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

I've read about cases of rear windows shattering because of a defect with the third brake light wiring. The car you are looking at may have had this issue in the past.

Or maybe an asteroid crashed through the window

Andreas
Old 01-19-2006, 04:42 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My rear window exploded yesterday for no reason, so I can confirm that it can happen.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:06 AM
G-Man993

Originally Posted by jnx
under the rear window on a 96 993. It was repaired by Porsche under warranty. I have not seen it yet, it's been done to a car I am considering buying. My question is, is this a common problem area? are there any other things to look for pertaining to this? I spoke with the service writer who remembered the car and he stated it was a small area where water accumulates,and there were no other issues. I want to ask you guy's, the experts, for your opinions. Thanks.
My 993 C4S developed a spot of rust in the bottom corner of the rear window several years ago. Porsche repaired it under warranty however the high level brake light cables were damaged when the rear window was removed. This required the rear window to be taken out again, the cable fixed and the rear window reinstalled. The panel shop tells me that the rear winow is removed by cutting the rubber compond around the window with a wire which also scratches the paint protecting the metal around the window. If this is not then repainted properly (as was the case with mine then rust will develop again, particularly given that water is prone to drain to this point and stay wet for long periods. My car is going back to the shop again for the same rust spot to be rapaired again. Porsche panel shop tells me this is a common spot for rust on 993.

I too would appreciate any other feedback from other 993 owners that have had this problem?
Old 01-19-2006, 11:29 AM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I too have 3 small bubbles I can see/feel under the rubber around the window...size of a pea. I think I've got this year to bring it to Porsche before warranty is up. Opinions on whether its worth it?

The bubbles have not changed in the couple years I've owned the car. It probably sees wet weather 2-3 times a year max and its garaged.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:24 PM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Opinions on whether its worth it?
Depends if you plan on selling. A buyer will certainly pick up on this and beat your price down. If it's covered by the warranty, then you may need to push Porsche before they cave in, but there are several success stories on this board if you do a search.

I had mine done last year and had to push for it - not too much but they wouldn't pay without a fight!

If it's starting to rust, it ain't gonna get better by itself. Use the warranty while it's there!
Old 01-19-2006, 12:59 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a tape that should be applied, if removed from, under the seal around the screen, this stops the seal and any accumulated grit rubbing againt the bodywork as the seal moves at speed. it is more important for the front screen as I have found out, the paint has completely worn through in one or two spots exposing the metal and making it vunerable to rust.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:59 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

thanks Sidned, I hadn't thought of that. I tend not to think in terms of selling her but some day it will happen.

FYI I just moved from Surrey UK last year....had the pleasure of driving a LHD 964 with no heat, oil leak, and windscreen squeak but I still miss those B roads......I got up the M1 to Northhampton quite a bit.

Quick Reply: rust bubble on panel