993 Forum 1995-1998

Softback Sport Seats in a 993?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 06:33 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlaa
@Foxman Thank you for the pics as reference! Before he retired, Paul Champagne told me that welding the additional support bars onto regular seats to make sport seats was fairly straightforward, but that the new foam part was an art form in itself…..he mentioned as well that foam technology (which I know nothing about) had changed by leaps and bounds in the past 40+ years ….. I wonder where your indy is sending the converted frames out for refoaming?
You’re exactly right about the seat foams, and my Indy said as much. They have the foams from the original sport seats, so they can build from there. If it were me, I would send the cores to Lart on the west coast and have him finish the seats. Lart works strictly with sport seat cores, but this might be a bridge…
The following users liked this post:
Jlaa (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 06:43 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 394 Posts

the 928 community on RL is an significantly more technical and resourceful than here!)
Huh??

That said Paul retired some years ago …. So now is Lart the king of seat (and specifically seat) upholstery?
Lart is the king of soft back sport seats here in the US IMHO. But Waldemar is the king of hardback sport seats. Both gentlemen are excellent to work with, and take great pride in their craft.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:49 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
Huh??
Ah, I fixed my mangled phrasing. 😀. Basically what I meant to convey is that long term 928 ownership requires a level of commitment, resourcefulness, and capability that 993s do not demand of their owners, and so that in my limited experience anyone who has a following in the 928 community for being a craftsman might also be a good resource for air cooled car work (assuming the skills are portable).

Quick Reply: Softback Sport Seats in a 993?