Sponsored by:

Did I damage a lifter??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Porscheologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did I damage a lifter??

When I did my recent clutch job I lost some oil when I removed the lower oil line. I estimated about 2 quarts. So I put two quarts of oil back into the car before I started her up and took her out for a 45 min test drive. My oil pressure was fine the whole time with no warning lights etc. When I got back the oil level was not registering on the gauge. I checked the dipstick and it appeared to be in the middle of the twisted part. Turns out that I had to add 4 more quarts to get the oil level back were it had to be so I must have misread that stupid dip stick! I was driving around with only 8 quarts of oil!!!

Now I am totally freaked out because yesterday I noticed tapping sound coming from my lower (exhaust?) drivers side engine bank. The car drives smooth and the sound is not terribly loud. It does not get louder with rpms and is a constant "sewing machine sound" that is slightly louder on one side. Should I worry about it? Maybe I'm being paranoid but the sound "seems" louder than before. Your input is greatly appreciated!!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:26 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Give it a little time. Get the car good and warm and note any changes. Worse comes worse, you'll have to change a few of them. No worries. They are easy to change and can be done with the engine in the car.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Porscheologist
Racer

Are lifters expensive? What about other things that could have been damaged like valve guides or worst? Thanks Chris for your quick response as usual.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:30 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

The lifter prices seem to range from $38 to $75. I bought 6 from Pelican last year. Check 'em out..
Old 01-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you absolutely sure you checked the oil properly? Warm engine at idle? If you already know this I appologize, but I made this mistake with my first 911 and over-filled my tank by about three quarts.

Plus, I'd think you'd get an oil pressure warning light on the dash if you were so low on oil that the pump went dry momentarily.
Drive it for a while and see if the ticking is still there.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:52 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Exhaust leak?

Andreas
Old 01-11-2006, 01:06 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lee,

nice avatar!! :-)
Old 01-11-2006, 02:54 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheologist
When I did my recent clutch job I lost some oil when I removed the lower oil line. I estimated about 2 quarts. So I put two quarts of oil back into the car before I started her up and took her out for a 45 min test drive. My oil pressure was fine the whole time with no warning lights etc. When I got back the oil level was not registering on the gauge. I checked the dipstick and it appeared to be in the middle of the twisted part. Turns out that I had to add 4 more quarts to get the oil level back were it had to be so I must have misread that stupid dip stick! I was driving around with only 8 quarts of oil!!!

Now I am totally freaked out because yesterday I noticed tapping sound coming from my lower (exhaust?) drivers side engine bank. The car drives smooth and the sound is not terribly loud. It does not get louder with rpms and is a constant "sewing machine sound" that is slightly louder on one side. Should I worry about it? Maybe I'm being paranoid but the sound "seems" louder than before. Your input is greatly appreciated!!
Hi:

Driving around with 8 qts in the system will do no harm unless you are racing,.... I'd always advise anyone to completely warm the engine and check the oil on the dipstick before doing anything after a service, but you didn't hurt a thing.

Assuming that you put in the correct viscosity oil (15w-50), you can check for noisy lifters using either a mechanic's stethoscope or a long screwdriver. Place the tip of the stethoscope or screwdriver (putting your ear on the end of the handle) on each valve cover and take a listen while the engine idles. You will hear all kinds of mechanical sounds, but lifter noise is distinctive with its hard rapping.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:43 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
noise is distinctive with its hard rapping.
Steve......this type of noise?

Old 01-11-2006, 10:57 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by grmnxtc

Old 01-11-2006, 11:43 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

As a side note, now you know why I don't take my oil level too seriously. In a 12-qt dry sump system, being low a quart or so is just no big deal. I know that sounds like heresy, but really, we gots plenty of oil in there.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by grmnxtc

LOL,...O-M-G,..thats FAR worse,...
Old 01-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If oil temp and pressure were OK during this time, and this 45 minute test drive didn't involve something like qualifying for Le Mans or Daytona 24 Hours, then I wouldn't think you would have damaged the engine. Give it a couple of days and see what happens.

(You say it's a "constant" ticking - does that mean it does NOT vary with RPM? If it doesn't, then hard to see how it could be a lifter).
Old 01-11-2006, 02:08 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

You say it's a "constant" ticking - does that mean it does NOT vary with RPM? If it doesn't, then hard to see how it could be a lifter
Agree. That's why I suggested a possible exhaust leak earlier. Was the exhaust removed or dismantled during the clutch change?

Andreas
Old 01-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Porscheologist
Racer

thanks for the input guys. The slight ticking sound has quited some. It's still there and I guess always has been. I think that once I realized my goof any and all noises were "Amplified" in my pee brain. It's not getting worst and the car runs very smooth. As I accelerate the sound goes away. I can only hear it if I roll down a window and listen for it. We shall see but hopefully I got away with a bone head move. Exhaust? Could be but I did not take that appart (I did remove the mufflers). The other issue I have I is when down shifting from first to second I get an occasional nick. I never did before. I will post a seperate thread on this. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Did I damage a lifter??