Sponsored by:

Change that Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 04:34 PM
JimProuty
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheologist
Jim I would NOT go just by what the Por$che Stealer says! An idependant shop is the way to go if you are not a DIY kind of guy. In my experience a pedal sinking to the floor is either a failed master cylinder or a fluid leak in the system. The leak is easy to spot and a master cylinder can either be rebuilt or replaced. A complete flush should eliminate the gunk. Tell us were you are at and I am sure you will get many local shop recomendations.
I did take the car initially to a recommended independent shop (I'm in the Portland, OR area), and they did replace the master cylinder only. It didn't fix the problem, but they didn't flush the fluid, only bled it.

I also wonder about the flushing alternative, but I do want to keep the ABS feature alive. From the mechanics' descriptions, the ABS system has tiny openings in it that they claimed warranted replacement. I guess they're saying that flushing won't work, even without trying it first.

I know that dealer's mechanics are prone to recommending more the the minimum required to fix things, but I don't know just what to do in this case; clearly the independent shop didn't pick up on the gunked brake fluid while the dealer's mechanics did.

5 hours to make all the changes seems reasonable to me (though I am NOT a DIY when it comes to cars except the normal fluid level and tire pressure checks).

The price of the parts from Porsche wouldn't be any lower at an independent shops, would they? Or am I just naive?
Old 01-07-2006, 05:45 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Porsche will make you pay list price for the Bosch unit. You can get these generally for about 3/4-1/2 the cost at an independent (and they are about $2000 list for a non-LSD model) as a generic Bosch part. I have never had a bad 993 unit, but Tom W here on the board had one on his 964. We did EVERYTHING to fix his braking problem from new master and brake booster (it already had all new upgrade calipers) and quarts of brake fluid flushed through. Nothing work for a firm pedal until we replaced this ABS unit. It listed for $2600, but we got a used one for around $400 and it worked great. Good luck....
Old 01-07-2006, 06:12 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

How many quarts of brake fluid do you need to flush brakes completely?

TIA,

Old 01-07-2006, 06:13 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Jim,
I recommend you see Steve Weiner at www.rennsportsystems.com.

He's a Rennlist sponsor and a great guy. He knows these cars very well.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:26 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Jim, Did you have a ppi performed ?
Old 01-07-2006, 07:38 PM
JimProuty
Track Day

Originally Posted by jnx
Jim, Did you have a ppi performed ?
Funny you should ask.

I came home one day and my wife's BMW 330xi was missing and there was a Guard's Red 993 in the garage.

She just traded in her car for the 993, paid the difference, and drove it away. No PPI, I don't think she even drove it until it was time to leave the dealership.

And yes, we're still married.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:58 PM
JimProuty
Track Day

Originally Posted by Scott C
Jim,
I recommend you see Steve Weiner at www.rennsportsystems.com.

He's a Rennlist sponsor and a great guy. He knows these cars very well.
Thanks, I've sent an email and left a message. Hopefully I can get a suggestion from him before the dealer's mechanics start the repairs on Monday.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:57 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Jim,
Where are you located?
Old 01-07-2006, 10:15 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ljugete
How many quarts of brake fluid do you need to flush brakes completely?
Just over a quart will flush the system.

As far as fushing is concerned a little info here. WHen you flush the system, you need to REMOVE the bleeder screws from the caliper you are bleeding instead of just cracking it open. You should PUSH the pedal with the bleeder screw out (holding a rag over the opening) which will push out (oh yeah) any wax plugs, gunk, etc. Anytime you have a lazy bleeder screw, you should check it this way yo see if it is plugged up.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JimProuty
Funny you should ask.

I came home one day and my wife's BMW 330xi was missing and there was a Guard's Red 993 in the garage.

She just traded in her car for the 993, paid the difference, and drove it away. No PPI, I don't think she even drove it until it was time to leave the dealership.

And yes, we're still married.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:37 PM
JimProuty
Track Day

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Jim,
Where are you located?
Tigard/Portland, OR

And the local Porsche repair places I know about are these (from oregonpca.org):

Stuttgart Autotech, Lake Oswego
Marque Motors, Portland
Autobella, Portland
Heckmann & Thiemann, Portland
Motor Sports International, Portland / Beaverton
Sunset Motors (Dealership), Beaverton
Briggs Auto Electric, Gresham

Plus (now) Rennsport systems http://www.rennsportsystems.com/ (Portland)
Old 01-07-2006, 11:55 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JimProuty
Tigard/Portland, OR

And the local Porsche repair places I know about are these (from oregonpca.org):

Stuttgart Autotech, Lake Oswego
Marque Motors, Portland
Autobella, Portland
Heckmann & Thiemann, Portland
Motor Sports International, Portland / Beaverton
Sunset Motors (Dealership), Beaverton
Briggs Auto Electric, Gresham

Plus (now) Rennsport systems http://www.rennsportsystems.com/ (Portland)
Hi Jim:

Good talking with you a few minutes ago,....

My apologies, sir. We do not perform street car maintenance or repair work. We've confined ourselves to race cars and street high-performance parts & services of every kind...

From your list, the ONLY places I would take a 993 are (in no particular order):

Stuttgart Autotech
Marque Motors
Motor Sports International

MSI should have thoroughly flushed the system (pressure bleed & cycle the ABS) when they replaced the master cylinder. If that didn't fix it, they should have offered to replace the ABS controller since that would have cost less than having the Dealer do the same things.

Please keep me posted on the outcome.

Just a note here; Bob is right: Porsche's brake maintenance intervals (24 months) are absurd and this situation is living proof that annual brake flushes are FAR cheaper than buying these expensive components. I'd strongly encourage ALL 993's owners to buy a pressure bleeder (Motive's work fine) and do this yourself every year (or more, if you do DE events). Its the cheapest proactive preventative maintenance you can do besides oil changes,...
Old 01-08-2006, 12:00 AM
omilu
Instructor

Would definatly not bypass abs if it is a daily driver on wet, windy roads with lots of deer around
Old 01-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim,

It may be worth the time and $40 to pick-up a power bleeder, a quart of brake fluid and try Viper Bobs method. It certainly can't hurt. One tip, flush with a different color fluid to be sure the old fluid is completely expelled.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:49 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by omilu
Would definatly not bypass abs if it is a daily driver on wet, windy roads with lots of deer around
I'm not against ABS, I realize the benefits in some situations... I'm just saying that as human beings, we come equipped with ABS from the factory (our brain and our right foot )

Quick Reply: Change that Brake Fluid