Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between tiptronic and manual?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 02:21 PM
_dw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between tiptronic and manual?

HI all,

I had this question in another thread, but I think it may warrant its own.

Other than shift speed, is there any performance or maintenence advantage or disadvantage between the tiptronic and manual transmissions?

Are there any other things to consider, like is one a lot heavier than the other? Does the tip require an outside computer to run itself or is it self contained?

Dave
Old 01-06-2006, 02:36 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tips do not have enough gears - they need another. In my opinion most have probably accumulated their miles in like 1500 rpm, which is not good. They are apparantly very robust - no failures on this board however, they are the red headed step child of porsche transmissions and I don't believe anyone would come here to complain of their broken tip. There is more room in the footwell for those nights on the town in my cowboy boots, and you can really have some fun in them when you learn the nuances and are just banging through the turns. I for one really beat up on my tip car in hopes of something will give so I can do something different with her, but alas, she still delivers. My wife absolutley loves the car though, and I cannot disagree. Don't know about weight - 30k fluid changes which is probably 300 at the stealer - some nuances with that - getting proper pressure, ect...Computer I think is seperate and I don't believe anyone is remapping that. Ruf made a 5 speed version that I guess is no longer available. I think Bruce Anderson can drive one faster than a 6 speed and actually really likes it. So, with all that said, get the 6 speed g21!
Old 01-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

About a second I believe? As we get lazier and they get better they are getting more and more popular. I test drove a 928GTS years back and my god that was fast and fun; just like being in an arcade game!
Old 01-06-2006, 02:49 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dave, welcome to rennlist. There is lots of data on Tips, which you can find by doing an advanced search on Tiptronic on the 993 board.

This thread has some good comments:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/199048-tip-poll-tiptronic-owners-only-please.html

Many of us drive them exclusivly in Manual mode so I don't necessarly agree with John's "1,500 RPM" assumption - though would be true for the "D" drivers.

The "missing gear" is between 1st and 2nd and is only an issue when wanting to power out of a tight hairpin - hard to stay in the power band through these turns, but I do OK.

Driven properly, they are as fun as a 6, with more leg room and functionality for real world daily driving.

Most who have bad things to say about a tip have never spent much (if any) time behind the wheel learning how to drive it.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:50 PM
_dw
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GratefulJED
Tips do not have enough gears - they need another. In my opinion most have probably accumulated their miles in like 1500 rpm, which is not good. They are apparantly very robust - no failures on this board however, they are the red headed step child of porsche transmissions and I don't believe anyone would come here to complain of their broken tip. There is more room in the footwell for those nights on the town in my cowboy boots, and you can really have some fun in them when you learn the nuances and are just banging through the turns. I for one really beat up on my tip car in hopes of something will give so I can do something different with her, but alas, she still delivers. My wife absolutley loves the car though, and I cannot disagree. Don't know about weight - 30k fluid changes which is probably 300 at the stealer - some nuances with that - getting proper pressure, ect...Computer I think is seperate and I don't believe anyone is remapping that. Ruf made a 5 speed version that I guess is no longer available. I think Bruce Anderson can drive one faster than a 6 speed and actually really likes it. So, with all that said, get the 6 speed g21!

That is some really great feedback, thank you so much. Can you answer one more question for me, what is a g21?

Dave
Old 01-06-2006, 02:52 PM
_dw
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Dave, welcome to rennlist. There is lots of data on Tips, which you can find by doing an advanced search on Tiptronic on the 993 board.

This thread has some good comments:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199048

Many of us drive them exclusivly in Manual mode so I don't necessarly agree with John's "1,500 RPM" assumption - though would be true for the "D" drivers.

The "missing gear" is between 1st and 2nd and is only an issue when wanting to power out of a tight hairpin - hard to stay in the power band through these turns, but I do OK.

Driven properly, they are as fun as a 6, with more leg room and functionality for real world daily driving.

Most who have bad things to say about a tip have never spent much (if any) time behind the wheel learning how to drive it.

That is really helpful too, thanks a lot. I will check out that thread!

What do you guys mean my more leg room BTW?

Dave
Old 01-06-2006, 03:03 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

More leg room = there is no clutch pedal so this makes a great place to stretch out you left leg. This is where I'd put my dead pedal if I had one.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by _dw
That is really helpful too, thanks a lot. I will check out that thread!

What do you guys mean my more leg room BTW?

Dave
The space made available by not having a clutch...
(edit: oops, fb beat me to it...)
Old 01-06-2006, 03:06 PM
_dw
Intermediate

Ahhhh

Yeah, I should have figured that one out on my own... heh

Thanks
Old 01-06-2006, 03:08 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

g21 is the euro box from 95-96 I believe. There are only two pedals in the tip = more leg room for your longer left leg. I would argue the the majority of original tip buyers used just D - hence watch for carbon buildup.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

To answer one of your questions: I'm pretty sure the tip has its own separate computer too.
Are you thinking of purchasing a tip? I'd imagine any transmission strapped to a Porsche would get you in trouble on the Vineyard! I've had a bunch of tickets there for going, like, 29 in a 25 MPH zone...
(my wife has family in Edgartown and VH.)

Anyways, welcome.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Fun bit o' trivia from my owner's manual: a Targa w/6-speed is slightly heavier than a Coupe w/Tip.

Another fun fact: at my last trackday, in the "C" group, a C2 tip coupe stayed right with a C2S 6-speed, which stayed right behind a Lotus Elise, for 2 laps when the checkered flag came out. (hence no significant performance disadvantage in non-competitive driving).

The one thing I miss with the tip, is that I'm used to being able to reach down w/right hand (with a manual) and know exactly what gear I'm in -- not really a disadvantage per se, but something to adjust to.

Also, if your passenger is a big dude, like my instructor was as my first trackday, you'll likely find yourself suddenly in "D" rather than "Sport" mode, because in hard left turn the passenger's leg bumps the selector lever and pushes it over into "D". Not a show-stopper by any means but annoying and something to be aware of.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:03 PM
_dw
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GratefulJED
g21 is the euro box from 95-96 I believe.
Nice, I have been reading that there are different gears in the euro and US gearboxes, any truth to that? Anywhere I could find a good ratio list on the net?

I'm definitely leaning towards the manual 6 speed now.

Thanks

Dave
Old 01-06-2006, 04:06 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan V
Another fun fact: at my last trackday, in the "C" group, a C2 tip coupe stayed right with a C2S 6-speed, which stayed right behind a Lotus Elise, for 2 laps when the checkered flag came out. (hence no significant performance disadvantage in non-competitive driving).
Huh? What you describe refects far, far more about driver ability than the performance capability of any of the 3 cars, especially in the C group. A 993 w/manual will turn faster laps than a tip if both are competently driven by the same driver - guaranteed.

BTW, if I understand Dave's (original poster) intent based his other thread, he is interested in building a super, duper, high HP VW bug employing a Porsche 993 or 996 gearbox. Is that correct Dave?
Old 01-06-2006, 04:15 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Alright Dave - enough freebies - do the search - BE the search! Viken is GONE!!

Quick Reply: Difference between tiptronic and manual?