Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you love or hate your Tiptronic transmission?
I love it
74.00%
I hate it
26.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Tip Poll - Tiptronic owners only please

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 02:38 AM
jkuniverse
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tip Poll - Tiptronic owners only please

Ever since I became a Rennlist member last year - I've read all topics relating to the preference in choosing Tiptronics vs. Manual and I kind of noticed that there might be a mild case of 'Tip' bashing going on in the forum...I could be wrong. This poll is for the Tipsters only please. I'm curious to know how many 993 owners do love their tips and would not have it otherwise. I just happen to be one of them. Thank you to all of you folks out there.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:15 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far looks like 5 Tipsters hate their trannies... Funny, cause after bout 17 manuals I'm really loving my tip.. Guess it's the "A" thing...
Old 04-21-2005, 03:35 AM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I have both at the moment. I enjoyed the tip in my cab, once I learned how to use it correctly........but I must admit, the 6 speed is a little more fun.

I guess the terms 'love' and 'hate' are too strong for me to describe the tiptronic.

I guess I can say, I loved my 993 cab, and it has a tip.

Marc
Old 04-21-2005, 03:53 AM
TargaTango
Racer

I love my tip and I am talking here about manual shifting and not the atrocious operation of the full auto side of the transmission. I love it even more since I got my push button Gemballa steering wheel. I much prefer a left button for down shifts and a right button for up shifts than the Porsche up and down shift in the one button affairs. Not having to take your hands off the wheel is a real plus for tips. What I do not like is the geering. It would be much imporved if we had 5 closely spaced geers. On some relatively tight winding roads, my favourites, I find I only have one gear, second.

All the best,
Old 04-21-2005, 08:35 AM
AnthemAVM
Racer

I am new to the 993 world, what is the differnce between the Tiptronic and Tiptronic S Transmission.

Michael
Old 04-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc in AK
I have both at the moment. I enjoyed the tip in my cab, once I learned how to use it correctly........but I must admit, the 6 speed is a little more fun.

I guess the terms 'love' and 'hate' are too strong for me to describe the tiptronic.

I guess I can say, I loved my 993 cab, and it has a tip.

Marc
I couldn't have said it better. My Boxster S has a 6 speed and the 993 a tip. If the 993 were not a daily driver on Los Angeles freeways I would want a 6 speed. But for how I use it the tip is preferred. It took me two months to figure out the tip. I use it in the manual mode unless I am stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. After getting the hang of it, it's a great transmission.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Tip S has the shift buttons on the steering wheel also.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:48 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

I too think "love" and "hate" a trifle strong here. I bought my tip so that my bride of many years could finally enjoy driving a Porsche-after stripping the tranny in her brother's 'vette she refuses to even attempt a manual. That makes it worthwhile to me, but I confess to enjoy a six speed more. I love the 993 and use the tip in all but the worst traffic jams, but the occasional computer generated "correction" when I need a lower gear drives me bonkers.

Al
Old 04-21-2005, 12:21 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the Tip. I too wish it had 5 or 6 forward gears. Drive the tip in manual mode with a great deal of "intention" and you can remap the computer so that those pesky up shifts or lack of down shift when you want it will be eliminated. Show the car how you want to drive it and once it's convinced that you are serious about it, it will let you.

All that being said, given that my current 15 - 30 minute (depending on if I take canyons or the fwy) commute lacks bumper - to - bumper traffic, if the 993 had the leg room of a 997, I'd probably be driving a 6 speed.

And finally, you "kind of noticed that there might be a mild case of 'Tip' bashing going on in the forum..." YA THINK?!? This forum is loaded with Tip bashers, and I'm willing to bet that 99% of all bashers have never taken the time behind the wheel to really get to know how to use it. As Chuck says, it takes weeks to learn how to properly drive a Tip in Manual mode. It takes a great deal of skill to match revs on a down shift, upshift smoothly and know where you are in the power band and when you can downshift from 3rd, to 2nd and into 1st (yes, a "properly" mapped Tip will let you do that) so that you can power out of that haripin turn.

Miles of smiles for skilled Tip drivers. The bashers are pompus posers, most of whom have never put the Tip, or themselves, to the test.

Old 04-21-2005, 02:41 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Funny I was just talking about MY expereince with my Tip last night with my new P friend David (IBDavid). When I was looking for my 993 I really was looking for a manual, but, could not find color combinations, features, upgrades, etc... that I wanted. When I first laid eyes on my ultimate purchase I didn't know it was a tip and fell in love. I "overlooked" the fact it was a tip and purchased it anyhow. Within weeks I absolutely fell in love with the transmission. It's like having your cake and eating it too... When you want to drive agrresively you throw it into manual mode and have at it. But, when I want to take my wife out and don't want to be bothered with shifting I just throw it into auto and cruise. And I really dig shifting the car like F-1 drivers with the steering wheel buttons. Admittedly though a gear or 2 more in the box would be all the better.

So to answer your original question. I initially hated it until I got to know it. Now I wouldn't turn back.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:21 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
Default anyone else like '3' intead of auto?

i like using '3' instead of auto for around town. takes you down to first on stops too, without the premature upshifts to 4th at like 35mph..on the hwy i only get to 4th when over 85 or so anyway. not that any of us ever exceed the legal limit.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:56 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I didn't vote. Like others, I'm somewhere in the middle. Give me a couple more forward ratios and I'd love it.

The tip system is complex. It takes seven pages in the Factory Repair Manual to describe the operation. In the automatic program the electronic transmission control system selects among 5 different shift point maps from SC1 for "comfortable" driving to SC5 for "very sporting" driving. The inputs are shift selector, throttle position, rpm, speed, lateral acceleration, and longitudinal acceleration.

Here's some stuff plagiarized from the manual.

To go straight to SC5 the "accelerator is depressed suddenly and abruptly".

"When the accelerator is released rapidly ahead of curves (throttle control speed), the control unit detects this driving situation and prevents shifting."

"The transverse acceleration sensor sends a signal to the control unit as soon as vehicle exceeds the transverse acceleration thresholds at which no shifts should be made. The engaged gear then remains selected regardless of any accelerator movement."

The “kickdown latching” allows the max rpm shiftpoints to be used at less than full throttle. “The function is started when the kickdown switch is actuated and the accelerator is released rapidly.” “The kickdown shift speeds remain active until the accelerator is released to 50% of the full-throttle position.”

If you want to start out in first gear instead of second the throttle angle must be >35% in the “D” position or the shift selector must be in “3”, “2”, or “1”.

And on and on with “adaptive pressure control, “uphill and downhill detection”, “warm-up map”, “transmission protection at high ATF temperatures” …

Last edited by hoggel; 04-21-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:45 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
Tip S has the shift buttons on the steering wheel also.

is that all? I have buttons on my steering wheel...
Old 04-22-2005, 01:16 AM
jkuniverse
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are those 10 polled haters really Tipsters?

Yeah...I do admit that 'love or hate' was sort of too extreme but it was too late to fix the poll questions afterwards. Additionally, I think the poll results are definitely not accurate since non-tip owners can vote and skew the true results...and as of now, there are 10 tip haters out there according to the poll, but not a single comment or reply posted to the fact.
fbfisher, you da man! I agree 100% with what you said. You really have to own a tip to love one...."the bashers are posers" - love it! I also agree with hoggel and probably many others; 1 or 2 more gears would've been outstanding. Obviously the poll is for the entertainment purposes only and I think all 993s are beautiful regardless of option or color...well, maybe not the gold 993TT that was on ebay a while back.

Last edited by jkuniverse; 04-22-2005 at 01:55 AM.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:39 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I like the reaction I get at the track when I turn faster times then my 'stick' counterparts... and the shock and awe of "I didn't know a tip could do that"

Quick Reply: Tip Poll - Tiptronic owners only please