Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences between 993 and 996 transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 06:08 PM
_dw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences between 993 and 996 transmissions?

Hi all,

Looks like you have a heck of a forum going! I am looking for some help, I am new (as in 2 days new) to the world of Porsche specifics. I've always been a big fan, just never an owner.

So here's my deal. I have a 1972 Beetle. I have had this car for a long time, and the body is nearly flawless. The issue lies in the engine. The car has never had a solid engine. Always an issue here or there. I took the car off the road in 1998 with the plan that the next time I registered it the car would get a major overhaul. I have had some big plans for this thing for a long time and its time to start making it happen.

I am planning to purchase a Subaru STi engine. The engine will go to a tuner (most likely Cobb at this point) for a stage 2 kit. I am looking for 400HP reliably. The car will also get a 100 HP nitrous shot. My good friend has a nitrous parts company in New Hampshire so I want to support him. All this is well and good, but the car needs a transmission. The subaru won't work, oh, yes, I plan to go all-wheel-drive. I will keep the rear engine. The subaru ring and pinon can't be flipped like a VW's can, and I don't want to flip the whole transmission upside down, plus with the HP I will be putting down, I want some more beef. The driveline from a 993 or 996 is the obvious answer. I have looked into them and I have a few options. This is where I need help.

I have no clue about the differences between the 993 and 996 6-speed manuals. Can somebody fill me in on some details? I am looking for gear ratios, torque capacities, reliabilitiy records, anything of use.

Also, I am wondering if I can run the 4WD gearbox without the front driveshaft / diff initially. I had hoped to do the car in stages, but I can go all the way in the first shot if I have to. Lots of suspenison fab involved front and rear.

Additionally, there are a lot of tiptronics available. I am a little skethced out by the tiptronic, but they are less expensive. Are they easy to work with? I want to drive this car sometime in my life, so I don't want to go too nuts on the transmission if I don't need to. Any feedback on manual vs tiptronic would be great.

Thanks for any help

Dave
Old 01-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell the Bug and buy a whole 993 - less aggravation in the long run (400 HP in an old Beetle is asking for trouble - you'll never hold it on the road!).
Old 01-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Sputnik
Racer

Silly post.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yawn.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:45 PM
sonny1
Banned

The main difference is the way the tranny gets its imputs,996 is cable operated,the 993 is direct linkage imput, the working innards are pretty the same.,cheers,Sonny.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:06 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gearboxes are absolutely not the same, please do some research before saying their "innards are pretty much the same"
Old 01-05-2006, 08:59 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

You will spend more money on this coversion than buying a complete 993. Believe me.

A good friend is doing this exact project to a 57 beetle.. He stopped the project because of cost.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
The gearboxes are absolutely not the same, please do some research before saying their "innards are pretty much the same"
That's not totally true, it looks like I'll be using some GT3(996) gears when I re do my G50/20
Old 01-05-2006, 09:53 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

The NA non-GTx trannies are different (with no parts available as they are a throw away item according to Porsche). The GTx are pretty much the same as ours, yes but with the cable shifters.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:56 PM
_dw
Intermediate

Default help

Guys,

Cost is not the object. I could buy a 996 or a 360 if I wanted. Its not the point. I have a skill set that not many have and I intend to use it. Its a project. In addition, I have an experimental suspension system that is pending patent worldwide that I am planning to build into this car.

Is there anyone on this board who is into trying to make things happen on their own like me? Anyone can just "yawn" and pay for stuff. Thats easy. Thats not what this project is about.

I appreciate those of you who have tried to help so far and I would really appreciate any other help. This message board has the highest post count of any Porsche board that I have seen, hence the reason that I ask you.

Chris W, is it possible that I could get in contact with your friend and talk a little? I am sure that he would have valuable insight.

Thanks to those who have tried to help

Dave
Old 01-06-2006, 12:02 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Dave, I think most of us, at first, doubted the consideration of a project like this, but now that you have explained a little more, we can now see what you are trying to accomplish.

Yes, I know projects and trying to make something from scratch, or more importantly, create something that satisfies the innerself. I work on these concepts daily. Mostly on my long drive to and from work

I will speak with my friend who ventured down this very similar path. He wanted to build the ultimate sleeper, and he is a total VW nut, historian, rare parts collector. Okrasa engines have been his passion for many many years. We grew up together. I will see if he wouldnt mind me giving his number out. Shouldnt be a problem..
Old 01-06-2006, 12:10 AM
_dw
Intermediate

Default thank you

That is awesome Chris, thanks a lot.

He can always drop me an e-mail at dave@dw-link.com if he doesn't want to give out his #.

I cannot reiterate how dead serious I am about this project. I try not to make a habit of wasting time, too precious...

Dave
Old 01-06-2006, 12:12 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Dave, wish I had some knowledge to share on this one but this p-car thing is very new to me and I'm in a learning mode. Having built several hot rods from scratch I appreciate the project. You VW guys are a special breed. Good luck, sounds pretty wild.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:06 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by ARM993
Having built several hot rods from scratch I appreciate the project.
I have a strong background with street rods, you make everything except the small block chevy
Old 01-06-2006, 01:27 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I have a strong background with street rods, you make everything except the small block chevy
Yes you do. My last one was a 29 Ford Roadster with an FE Ford big block. Boxed the original frame, stretched it 3 inches to get the motor and 4 speed toploader in, and made half the crossmembers suspension brackets, and windshield posts. It was supposed to be a short build. Ended up multiple years which they have a way of doing. I've done 2 Model As and a 46 Studebaker truck that were mine and helpd on several friends cars. There is no simple build for sure.

My problem with streetrods is I get addicted to the build and sell as soon as they are done to start again. I'm sure there will be another one in the garage some day when I get time to build again. My wife is much happier with my p-car obsession because it actually runs and we can drive it places. My list of planned mods is starting to get long though.

Quick Reply: Differences between 993 and 996 transmissions?