993 Forum 1995-1998

Rusty10 years later....

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 02:05 AM
ernmony
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty10 years later....

Rust is developing badly near the left side of my 3rd brake light. Do you think the warranty covers this. If not, how much will this cost to fix?

Old 01-02-2006, 03:13 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd love to think this is covered - and I think it is. But considering the recent hassles with PCNA and other Porsche owners, I'm just not sure.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a downer but just realistic in getting a resolution.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:02 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

There should be no doubt this is covered since the wording of the warranty is for body panels, unlimited mileage for 10 years. What is your in-service date? They go from the time that the car is first put on the road (i.e. the first owner). Since you car is a 95 its important to check the dates. If you do not know the in-service date you can contact the dealer and they can tell you. I would ask them the date first and if its 10 year or less then go for the warranty. If you are slightly off they might still go for it under the good will.

Rust in creases are a pain in the *** since you can't get to it so its hard to really get rid off. How is the rest of the car?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-02-2006, 06:45 AM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I recently got my windscreen rust sorted on my 1997 993, but it was a bit of a fight and I had to put 25% towards the cost of repair.
Make sure your bodywork inspection stamps are all there, put in a claim at your local stealership and prepare for a fight. They will say no for a start, but once they have looked at it, go to the head office and ask them to raise the claim again and get the persons name. Use this person for all future correspondance and keep pushing.

Good luck - I anticipate this being a long thread!
Old 01-02-2006, 09:33 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

While any body rust would cause me sleepless nights, you've at least caught it before it became horrific. Although you never know what's beneath the surface...

Is there any chance the car had previous repair work done, as the area shown below looks a bit odd?

Andreas
Old 01-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

I believe that the wording of the warrenty is such that only perforations or rust through is covered.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:08 PM
ernmony
Advanced

i purchased the car in august '05 and 'm the 4th owner. there really aren't that many service records prior to 2001. the car has 94k miles and is in immaculate shape less the rust and dings/chips on the front bumper.

when I had my car detailed a few months back, the detailer said that the driver rear panel might have been repainted...most likely the cause of the rust???

once the rains in la stop, i will be taking the car to the dealership and hopefully get them to fix it without any costs...definitely crossing my fingers on this.

thank you guys for your help!
Old 01-02-2006, 07:59 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Ern,
Hopefully the dealership gives you a positive response. But if they also note that the driver's rear area has been repaired, I would presume that they would wash their hands of it. The Porsche rust warranty applies to the original finish of the car (I think). They have no way of knowing about or attesting to the quality of repair work performed in the past.

Andreas
Old 01-02-2006, 08:22 PM
ernmony
Advanced

Dammit, I can't believe I have rust developing on the other side now! I won't know until Wednesday (rain in LA should stop by then) to what the dealership will say. Just found out my in service date is 8/94.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:57 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Ern,
Hopefully the dealership gives you a positive response. But if they also note that the driver's rear area has been repaired, I would presume that they would wash their hands of it. The Porsche rust warranty applies to the original finish of the car (I think). They have no way of knowing about or attesting to the quality of repair work performed in the past.
Here in the UK, provide it is repaired by Porsche Authorised Body Shop, the Warranty remains intact. The problem is they aren't necessarily the best (as usual).

Harry
Old 01-02-2006, 10:00 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Ern,
How did you buy the car - private/Ebay/dealer/etc.? How was it represented - were you informed that there may have been previous body work?

Andreas
Old 01-02-2006, 11:30 PM
ernmony
Advanced

I bought it from a baptist church in phoenix. the minister who previously owned it had an illness and donated it to the church. i had the ppi done at stuttgart in tempe and rust was never reported and even i inspected the body and didn't notice it. i got the car for 24k and put about 3k into it and i'm very happy with it until this happened.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:29 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Ern,

Sorry to hear about your rust. That's an unusual place to get it; presumably it is because of a badly prepped repair or something to do with water getting trapped due to a blocked drain for your roof?? You have a better chance claiming from Porsche in the US. I had to get a small rust bubble treated on my front and rear screen surrounds that resulted in full glass out and respraying the roof! They were sure the front was due to a poorly fitted front screen (inexperienced window replacement people often end up scraping all the paint from the edge of the aperture).

Good luck!

Regards,

David
Old 01-03-2006, 11:55 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I really doubt PCNA would 'step up' on this.
I spent almost a yr in letters & calls with-out success.......in my case it was around the seal of the front windscreen........5 yr ago they did honor a claim on the right side.....and when the same problem developed in 03 on the left side they sighted both that it was not perforated (just bubling paint )..........and also that a claim on this vehical had already been honored.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:43 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Ern,
Although the mileage on your car was fairly high, I would speculate that some undisclosed collision damage repair would have weighed heavily on the pricing of the car. I purchased a '95 coupe with 34,000 miles a month after you and spent a hell of a lot more. I mean a crap load more. I surely hope that the rust damage can be localized and kept at bay.

Good luck.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Rusty10 years later....