993 Forum 1995-1998

Rusty10 years later....

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Rust is tough and cancerous. I agree with David as you should make sure any repair gets down to the source. If its just surface then I can see it being cheaper but if its coming from inside the seam it will cost more than that and the rust will just reappear after a few years. The crack looks a little weird in that its in a body seam so it implies their is either movement there or somehow water is getting in.

Best of luck!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-10-2006, 09:11 PM
ernmony
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brace, the owner of the body shop i'm taking the car to, said he's using a fine tip machine to grind out any rust. Then he's using a rust inhibitor and 3M seam sealer. He said his work is guaranteed for life....
Old 01-11-2006, 05:46 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Ern,

So if I understand then this guy is saying that this is some weird surface rust? I assume that you have got two or three places to look at and quote on this? I'm not being negative just trying to trying to play the independent observer. If you put the hood down when it is wet or when there has been a dew where does the water go? Water and a nice warm cavity (thanks to our rear engines) sounds like a potential issue?

Have you asked on the 911 and 964 forums to see if anyone has had similar issues there?

Regards,

David
Old 01-11-2006, 03:18 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ernmony,
That's really unusual for a car here in So Cal, is your car an out of state or local? cause if it's a local it's probably a repair area that was primed incorrectly. Out of state cars from the states that use salt in winter, especially from Michigan, have the salt eat them right up.
ZP44
Old 01-11-2006, 05:43 PM
ernmony
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Caveman for your observations, but this was the only place I took it to because it was well recommended. The owner seems like a straight up guy. His shop has been around for 25 years and there was another P car, Bimmer being worked on too. I got a quote for the respray on the bumper and it was $1200. I'm not doing that for now...I'd rather lower the car. Also, I'll check where the water drips at later but I'm scheduled to go in and have this done next Wednesday. I'm sure it will be all good.

ZP44,
I'm the 4th owner and this car has only been in warm weather cities, Houston, LA and Phoenix...and I got a steal on it but now I'm paying for it...LOL...

Quick Reply: Rusty10 years later....